Author Topic: Bearing hubs etc  (Read 4796 times)

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »
I asked my cousin in the States to get me a price on 1986 C4 wheel bearing hubs, which she has. Do I have to pay import duties if she sends them to me, or is there a set % I have to pay.
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:29:47 PM »
No you don't.
Australian Customs allows up to A$1000, including freight, tax free.
Just make sure the bearings are ABS compatible.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:44:50 PM »
Originally posted by Thunder Kiss
No you don't.
Australian Customs allows up to A$1000, including freight, tax free.
Just make sure the bearings are ABS compatible.

Isn't it $1000 PLUS freight?
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:34:23 AM »
She gave me a price of $540 US for the 4 wheel bearing hubs, which included tax. Her brother inlaw is in the car repairing industry. Would you have any idea on the freight charges. I'm not after next day delivery. I have asked her to check about the ABS.

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:06:18 AM »
For freight tell her to go to the post office once the items are packed in the smallest box possible and get a quote. Posting stuff from the US is a lot more expensive than posting stuff here for some reason.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:53:16 AM »
or ring around some car importers into aust and maybe they could hitch a ride in a container...

Offline BrianVette

• Four Barrel
  • Treasurer
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »
if postage / airfreight is too expensive ( weight ) give me a call as I am using a guy to send a bike and parts in a container out of California which is ok cost wise ( has its plus and minus side )

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 05:18:17 PM »
The Customs web site is also helpful...

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »
;29

It's not import duty you have to pay, it is the GST of 10%.
Freight charges are a pet hate of mine and you have to look at the size of the package and the weight of it, seems simple but the major part suppliers in the USA can not get it correct, it is just to hard for them to get right.
For example I just received an order from Ecklers which was sent via UPS and cost US$193, it was sent as 2 packages, however if they had of sent it USPS it would have costy US$93.
What I have wasted in shipping costs when purchasing parts from the states could have been a new interior for my car.
Generally it is cheapest to send packages by USPS (United States Postal Service) Priority Mail International, Even if you have to make 2 or 3 packages.

:an

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »
:ado Thanks for all the help, I'll wait for her to email me and see where I go from here. If I could land a set for around $800 sounds good to me. Thanks again :x

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »
.. just as a guide.. regardless of tax's or no tax or freight charges etc... be EXTREMELY CAREFUL of the cheap hub bearings.. if you want to see the difference we have 4 buggered ones from 2 years back that come with free wear built in....still the same brands being sold now around the place...   you can get the hub on the rim or a cross brace and rock the hub assembly once bolted up.. but they look great..  .. they solid.... just be carefull thats all.... Be VERY VERY carefully of the origin of the cheap ones... @US$540 they're not GM Delco.   Whereever you buy them from in the USA .. get a warranty that means something and be aware of the cheap Indian and Chinese repro's.. they are out there in different brand box's.. and not worth a serious restorers use.   I hope that helps..

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 10:59:05 PM »
Hi ozpont.  How is ya these days?  Good to hear from ya.  

I have heard this myself.

Do you sell the good ones of these beasties?  May be you could give the guy a price here or e-mail it to him if you prefer.  Warranty will then be local in Australia and may be better off for him.  Just a thought.

Kind Regards
Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
Buy the genuine GM ones, they are cheaper in the long run.

I had once bought a set of aftermarket hubs for the rear of my C4 and as i always check wheel play prior to an alignment it wasn't long before the bearings started to have a bit of play in them.

I replaced them with the genuine GM ones and with the track abuse i give my car, they seem to be holding up quite well.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Bearing hubs etc
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 12:50:51 PM »

Hi ozpont. How is ya these days? Good to hear from ya.

Yer.. thanks Cam.. all is well..  but for onya's sake..  be carefull like others  are saying. The hub bearings ... THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME QUALITY.

We have Federal Mogul ones that have failed .. and "Precision" is another worry.. but the worst ones are the untried & unknown Chinese or unmarked boxed.  We've been down that track & copped abuse when something cheap was not perfect etc ...  We do have the cheap ones for around $780 set +gst (4)  here already but they carry no warranty or exchange NIL - no arguements etc.. etc.
    If it were my car / family.. i'd go the GM Delco only now.. from where-ever... from the experience's & detrimental effects of trying to do the right thing by providing Cheap & the experienced of the "provided"...
   Backing up what madvet said.. just buy the GM ones.
    Front's are #12413041 (they are GM LIST: US$384.29 in the USA but you'll get them much cheaper then that.  
   Rears are #7470501 (they are GM LIST: US$464.53 in the USA but again - you'll get them much cheaper then that.. )
    GM Ones come sealed in a GM box with yellow Sealing tag on them...    
    Hope that all helps.