Author Topic: Importing  (Read 10885 times)

Offline Corvette

• Two Barrel
Importing
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:16:27 AM »
OK, here's the deal, I'm gonna be in NSW by year's end, and I am thinking of bringing in a pre 1989 Corvette (utilizing the 15+ year import law). I've read that its not required to be converted. What else does it have to go through, are there any restrictions on registration, anything to watch out for etc? Whats the aprrox cost of compliancing and registration?

Thanks

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Importing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »
I thought it was 30+ yrs to be left unconverted.  I think the 15 yr rule relates to RAWS conversions?  Over 15 yr it can be coverted by a non RAWS complianced person but still needs appropriate paperwork to be done.

;42

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Importing
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:32:38 PM »
Yes, to register a car LHD, it must be 30+ years old in most states, but the old 15 year rule no longer applies.  They got rid of it a while ago.  
Now, the car must be built prior to 1/1/1989 to be exempt from RAWS, meaning it still must be converted to RHD, but only an engineers certificate is required on completion.

Offline Corvette

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
O crap

Offline Corvette

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:08:29 PM »
Dang, so here's the other question.

OK, so a 30 + yr old car doesnt have to go through conversion, what else does it need to go through, espcially regarding NSW, and what are the costs, or restrictions etc?

Thanks

Offline wayovermyhead

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:38:52 PM »
I live in NSW and just got my 71 registered about three weeks ago (finally). I don't know what the true laws are exactly, but here is my experience. Regarding conversion it must be older than 30 to be exempt, which is OK anyway because big blocks are all over 30 and I am assuming that everyone would only really consider a big block ;54
Seriously though, If it is newer than 30 and older than 15 you will need to have it converted and the engineering certs to go with.
Your ticket to registration is a blue slip which is essentially a very comprehensive safety inspection. Once you have your blue slip you can bowl up to your local RTA also with your import approval papers. You will also need some sort of proof of purchase/transaction. With these in hand you will be up for 3% of the cars purchase price in stamp duty, the registration fee (a couple of hundred) and the cost of the licence plates (varies on choice).
The sometimes tricky part with a foreign car is getting the blue slip, as this is the inspection that will determine your cars safety and compliancy to applicable road regulations.
I checked high and low prior to registering my car as to what the legal requirements where for my car to be compliant with all applicable rules/laws. After long searching I pretty much found nothing. I have heard people say you have to get the lights changed etc, but nothing ever definatively concrete. So I rang the RTA and asked them what I needed to do to comply my car, they told me to speak to the inspection station who would do my blue slip and they would tell me what I needed. So I rang a place and they told me to check with the RTA, I rand another place and they told me the same. I rang the RTA back and explained to them that it would appear they where the ones who help my information and was told "no, it is the inspectors job to determine what needs doing" So I ring another RTA office, and guess what..... Once again, they can't tell me.
So I pretty much came to the conclusion that nobody really knows sh#t, other than the general vibe that if it's over 30 years old nothing seems to matter.
I have spent pretty much the past 18months getting my car up to scratch so everything was clearly safe and roadworthy, yet I had made no changes to lights/seatbelts etc when I took it for my blue slip.
When the day came I drove it to the inspection station where he checked it over etc, etc paying only attention to safety/roadworthyness and gave me my blueslip.
I then walked into the RTA, presented my documents and ten minutes later walked out with plates and a rego sticker. I have heard that the RTA take 24hours to do an independant check on the import approval to accertain it's authenticity, but the lady didn't blink twice.
So all in all I think I was probably luckier than some as the whole thing seemed a little too easy. But ultimately I think it really depends on the people you find yourself dealing with and their knowledge of the rules/regs.... which let's face it, when it comes to old cars like these..... everyone is pretty clueless.
Anyway, that's fine with me because now I can get in my Vette and drive...... And despite all my efforts I don't think i'll ever really know if it's truly "legal"

Offline Corvette

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 05:05:09 AM »
Thanks alot.

I really hope it ends up being this simple.

How come you spent 18 months on getting the car up to scratch?

Apparently on 30 year plus cars there are pretty much no restrictions?

So the RTA are the ones that issue the blue inspection sheet? So I'm to take it to them for that.

I guess the best thing is make sure everything on the car works fine from when its over here, get it over there and as soon as it arrives get it to the RTA inspector and register it.

Is there anything else, anything to watch out for?

Thanks again

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Importing
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:08 AM »
In respect to the 15 Year Rule.... For some of those who have lived OS the 15 year rule does not apply....

If you have lived and owned a car in CA for a year then you can import it under the DOTARS Personal Import Rule (i.e. the 15 year rule does not apply so for example you can import a 1996 C4 and get it RHD'd and registered.  I believe this also applies to later models too.... but,  the best way to find out the facts is to contact DOTARS because they are the ones who 'interpret' the legislation and interpretations do change over time.

See Part 8 of the DOTARS Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle Form ...
http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/importing.aspx#4.01

The above form says "Do you have evidence of not less than twelve continuous months overseas ownership and use of the vehicle?" so this may not apply to you if you have only just decided to buy but it may be worth asking how stringent are the "Rules" interpreted.

Note: late model C4s cost $24K to RHD whilst the digital dash cars of eighties cars cost $10K to $15K depending on the type of RHD conversion(chain or mirror).   For my money, the late model C4 is worth the extra $10K to convert.

There are several companies around who will do the conversion including....
http://www.corvette.com.au/RHD%20Conversions/RHD%20Conversions-15.aspx

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13:28 AM »
Originally posted by Corvette
Thanks alot.

I really hope it ends up being this simple.

How come you spent 18 months on getting the car up to scratch?

Apparently on 30 year plus cars there are pretty much no restrictions?

So the RTA are the ones that issue the blue inspection sheet? So I'm to take it to them for that.

I guess the best thing is make sure everything on the car works fine from when its over here, get it over there and as soon as it arrives get it to the RTA inspector and register it.

Is there anything else, anything to watch out for?

Thanks again

The blue slip is done by an authorised inspection station which you can get a list from the RTA Roads and Traffic Authority) or have a look in the telephone book for one in your area.
As for RAWS this applies to cars 15 years or newer, however if you have owend and used the vehicle for 12 months or more you can import the vehicle and have it converted as a personal import where you do not have to comply with RAWS but will still need to have the car engineered and inspected. You are also exempt from duty tax but will be required to pay 10% GST on the purchase price+shipping price.

As for getting the 30 + year old cars registered is no big deal as long as they are roadworthy. What you will require is a weigh bridge ticket $22, then blue slip $50, once you have blue slip you get a CTP Green slip (compulsory third party) $300 to $500 depends on where you get it from and then off to the RTA where they take some more money off you for stamp duty 3% + establishment of regestration around $250 + stamp duty 3% of whatr ever price you declare you bought it for.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline Corvette

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »
Thanks alot people.

So it would seem the best way to go is with the 30 + year old cars. Do the same personal import (12 months plus) rules apply for those cars, or can I buy one from here and just ship it over?

Thanks

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
The sooner we dont convert cars the better the saying it wouldnt happen in australia well it doesnt happen in the UK the thought of somebody messing with perfection  and changing what really is many years of design from pratice on the track and technical experdise  the machines overall balance during design is finely tuned.I'm a victim to this myself I'm getting some dry earths now appearing I have no where to place my feet in comfort and I have to trust some jerk that what he does wont kill me eventually so I can drive it legally ho ho. even other aussie states have different rules
 So i'd advise get 30 yrs old car leave it as it was built  and dont waste any more money than necesary
 good luck with the choice maybe car clubs could ban together and outlaw this vandalisation once and for all as said seems to work just fine in the UK

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Importing
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »
As an after thought....

Although the 15 Year Rule was "Snap Frozen" at 1 Jan 89, all the old requirements to import a car still have to be complied with so that in effect, what we will have at 1 Jan 08 is a "19 Year Rule"...  :-)  And as such it is a sobering thought to realise that in a mere 11 years and 3 months the current 30 Year Rule(LHD is okay) will meet the 1 Jan 1989 Rule(RHD conversion required)and the World of RAWS.

Does anyone want to speculate what will be required in 2019 of a car built after Jan 1989 ?

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:55:36 PM »
wayovermyhead
If i understand you correctly
you still have red indicators non adr compliant seat belts .etcetcetc
sounds like it all works out well for cars over 30 years old

Offline wayovermyhead

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 11:05:32 AM »
Originally posted by AusRs
wayovermyhead
If i understand you correctly
you still have red indicators non adr compliant seat belts .etcetcetc
sounds like it all works out well for cars over 30 years old

Yep, didn't change a thing. Although I think I will change the lights to avoid any confusion on the part of other motorists, and thereby expensive body repairs due to the spatially/intellectually challenged element on our roads. It would be interesting to see what the legalities are in a case of trying to attribute fault in an accident and one of the cars didn't have lights that where uniformly similar to the rest of the automotive population. I don't like the idea of finding out the hard way though.

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
so basically take the car to a place that knows nothing about these cars ,
interesting to know as my tailights are not a simple modification !

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Importing
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »
Vehicles built after 1st JAN 1973 must have amber indicators both front and back, however vehicles built prior to this date can have clear or amber indicators at the front and red or amber indicators at the back.;42
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:48:17 PM »
Originally posted by MADVET
Vehicles built after 1st JAN 1973 must have amber indicators both front and back, however vehicles built prior to this date can have clear or amber indicators at the front and red or amber indicators at the back.;42

i think i hate you :(
mine is a 79
ohh well club rego still allows me to leave the rear indicators red :)

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Importing
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
mate with a 77 had cracked tail lights,so he got some truck light lenses and cut and ground them to suit the vette bezels...he now has amber indicators and red tail/stop...and it dont look out of place..just an idea...cheaper that getting them made i bet.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Importing
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 11:36:38 AM »
mate who imports cars tells me as long as the seat belt "pops" out when button pushed thats fine on a 30 plus yr car....BUT i know when buddy with the 77 got his roadworthy for lhd rego they went over it with a fine tooth comb...and would pass it cause the drag link had a touch of slop in it.....all good now,.there apprantly is 2 inspectors who look at them in s.a. one is a decent bloke who loves muscle cars,the other a prick who thinks whya cant you buy australian cars......another mate with a 68 camaro is having a hell of a hard time with the prick.so much in fact hes considering selling it and buying one already finished......hes broke,almost broken and seems to have lost heart in his dream car.....all because the wrong bloke answered the phone......

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »
lucky that corvette lights are so easy to play with !