Author Topic: Weatherstrip Adhesive  (Read 13093 times)

Offline monarodan

Weatherstrip Adhesive
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
Hi all,

I just joined this forum today.  It's good to see an Australian Corvette Forum!

I've ordered new weatherstrips for my '87 coupe.  The recommended glue to attach the strips is 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive, whch I cant find for sale here is Australia and it can't be sent by air mail from the US as it is a "dangerous good".

Can anyone point me at a supplier of this stuff or suggest a suitable alternative adhesive?

Cheers,

Dan

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »
I have just bought new rubber as well so I am looking for the same answer.

Any suggestions appreciated!

;42

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
Hi all:24
I have tried all types of adhesives designed for weather seals and all have failed;37
What I have found that works is "sikaflex" (255 extra) in black, not only does it hold the weather seal in place it is a mother to get the weather seal off later;53. So if you use this do not expect to remove your weather seal later in one piece.;ay
Hope this helps:spook

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:14:27 AM »
Originally posted by Chromie
I have tried all types of adhesives designed for weather seals and all have failed;37

Now ya tell us.  Now I know why my under bonnet seal is coming unstuck.  As usual always telling me AFTER I've done it. ;37 ;41

Hi Dan welcome to our Forum.  

Just so ya Know Chromie is the owner of Corvette Alterations & Conversions and pretty up on what is right and wrong.

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:26:23 AM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
Originally posted by Chromie

Now ya tell us.  Now I know why my under bonnet seal is coming unstuck.  As usual always telling me AFTER I've done it. ;37

Hi Dan welcome to our Forum.  

Just so ya Know Chromie is the owner of Corvette Alterations & Conversions and pretty up on what is right and wrong.

Cam

:luv

;41 hehehehehehe life is like a bunch of weather seals;41 ya just never know when you are going to come unstuck:grr
thanks cam I have a huge head now:bold By the way how is your drip tray holding up;48 keeping dry is it?:bold

Offline monarodan

Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:44:07 AM »
Cameron 77C3 - thanks for the welcome!

Chromie - thanks for the Skiaflex alternative.  There's not a lot of info on the web regarding distributors of the Skia products.  Is it a common product at auto/marine parts retailers?  It comes in a 310mL package - will this be enough to do the whole job, or should I buy two lots?

I also found DynaGrip Weatherstrip Adhesive.  Has anyone used this before?

http://www.afcinternational.com.au/myweb/products/weatherstrip_tech.htm

Cheers,

Dan

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
Originally posted by monarodan
Cameron 77C3 - thanks for the welcome!

Chromie - thanks for the Skiaflex alternative.  There's not a lot of info on the web regarding distributors of the Skia products.  Is it a common product at auto/marine parts retailers?  It comes in a 310mL package - will this be enough to do the whole job, or should I buy two lots?

I also found DynaGrip Weatherstrip Adhesive.  Has anyone used this before?

http://www.afcinternational.com.au/myweb/products/weatherstrip_tech.htm

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan
Yes it is a 310 ml cartridge so you will need a cartridge gun, Yes it will be enough to do all the weather seals. It is available from most spare parts and hardware stores. Very easy to obtain.
;42

Offline monarodan

Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
excellent - I'll go hunting for the stuff this weekend!

Cheers,

Dan

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
we can buy 3m  double sided tape at blackwoods....we use it at work sometimes.....but we work for onesteel,whcih is a huge company....maybe thats why we can get it..but i bought some badge tape from supercheap auto,and it holds my rear louver on my work car.....

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
skiaflex is great stuff
there is only one thing that will clean your hands and remove the excess and that is carby cleaner
buy a can you will need it

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »
Anyone used contact cement from places like Clarke Rubber?

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »
I used that quick grip stuff.  You know you put some on each surface, wait for both to go tacky then put the two surfaces together.  Well it's coming unstuck.  I'll be taking it off and going for the sikaflex now.

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
I have used "Permatex Super weatherstrip adhesive" which seems to be holding up with no probs so far.
It's just a pain to use as it also needs to have a skim of the stuff on each surface and let dry then you need to put some more on before you bring the two surfaces together. The other thing about this stuff is that it's yellow in colour so if some of the excess gets squeezed out you need to clean it off.
If i ever do this again i'll give that black sikaflex a try.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »
I have just discovered a product made in New Zealand called Solgrip. I stuck all the rubbers on a Dodge truck. Its easy to apply, dries clear and is just the best contact I have ever used. It has been on the truck for 3 months now and hasnt budged. All the other contacts I have used have been a miserable failure. I bought it from Spectrum rubber supplies at Dunheved (the old Peter Jacksons). The phone number in New Zealand is 006435795772 (not sure if you need any other digits like 001). Email graeme@solcor.com. It really is top stuff. About bloody time. Dave

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 02:07:53 PM »
Thanks for the tip, bootlegger!
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
Solgrip adhesive is available through Clark Rubber stores. I bought some there today.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Panther

• Four Barrel
  • Car: Custom C5
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 08:11:02 PM »
3M make a weather strip adhesive in black, most good auto paint suppliers will carry it, easy in Sydney not sure about Perth, sick a flex no way, too much of that stuff being used on cars here