Author Topic: Rear Strut Rod  (Read 3888 times)

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Rear Strut Rod
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:10:01 PM »
;40 Has anyone replaced the rods on the rear of their vet

with any of the adjustable kits that Ecklers are selling , the

prices differ from around $129 to $309 .

Sure the more you pay the extra hardware you get. But where do you stop. Or do I go standard

So if anyone has gone through this, your input would be appreciated.
;-) ;-) ;-)
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
Rear Strut Rod
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:54 AM »
If you do not have a problem with your rear end alignment you dont really need the adjustable one's. People who lower the s#!t out of there cars are the ones who will usually need them or if you need extra adjustments because you are setting the car up for the track.
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline smokem

• Four Barrel
Rear Strut Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »
You don't need a new mounting brkt. just adjustable strut rods usually poly ends . $119 a pr.
I have seen many a wrecked C3 after the strud rod failed , a very common cause of the end 4 end on freeways , so good idea to change.

STOP ACTING STUPID!
WE'VE GOT POLITICIANS TO DO THAT
[/i]

ettev87

Rear Strut Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:01:18 PM »
72vet, as far as I know adjustable rods do not do anything more than the standard bracket with the offset bolt. I am not familiar with Eckler's kit but I suspect it is supplied from Vette Brakes & Products. [some of the bits I have bought from Ecklers originated from Corvette America?]. The VB&P unit has a revised bracket off the diff that allows vertical rather than horizontal adjustment of the strut rod. The adjustable strut rod then allows camber adjustment to suit the vertical position. The position of the strut rod [vertically] determines the change in camber over the suspension travel. I have bought this unit from VB&P for my restoration project; but unfortunately at this stage not on the road, so cannot tell you of any benefits. But I can tell you, so far, I have not had anything from VB&P on how to set it up properly! When I asked for detailed set up information, they offered to supply "square" washers to lock the vertical adjustment in the "stock" position. When I get my project "powered" and "rolling" I hope to find a "wheel aligner" that knows their "s&%t"!!!

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Rear Strut Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 12:38:44 PM »
I haven't seen any explanation on how to set up the adjustable ones either.

I have a greenwood article that says to put a 1/2 inch spacer under the centre strut rod plate on the diff.  This reduces toe movement under loads.  I did this on my '77 with poly bushes and it made a difference - mainly because of the poly bushes all round.

I would go 6 link personally over just the adjustable rods.

;42

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Rear Strut Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
:xThe VBP rear camber strut kit is known to undo at the lock nuts:grr.
If you are going to fit this kit it will require a roll pin to be fitted to prevent the strut from unwinding.

The "perfect" strut angle is one that is perfectly in line.
In other words it is straight from the differential to the shock mount giving you neutral position. Naturally any major suspension movement will alter the camber and the toe-in

A five link kit will keep the camber & toe-in at its set position/angle throughout the suspension travel (in theory). A five link kit requires major chassis rail rework.:luv

My recommendation is that you keep the original strut rods and fit urethane bushes to them. If an original strut rod was going to break it would have done it by now, I personally have never seen or heard of a factory strut rod actually breaking.
Hope this helps

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
Rear Strut Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 09:42:47 PM »
;42
Thanks for the input guy's, ended up buying the VBP strut kit.

Looking forward to fitting it when I start the body off next

year with the rest of the pieces that have been purchased

over the last year or so.

Chromie what's a roll pin look like? ;mmm

Found this site you all might be interested in

http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

;42 ;42
CLICK ME to see my albums.