Author Topic: Engine Diagnostic Tool  (Read 5900 times)

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« on: April 26, 2003, 01:33:33 AM »
I just saw this and thought it may be of interest to our more "IT tech" members ....

This site has some software that's designed to run on a PDA (Sony, Palm etc) and turns your PDA into a fine auto diagnostic tool.

The site is ... http://www.auterraweb.com

I have a PALM I can download it to but no computer in the car to test it with .. .;-)

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 06:07:45 PM »
Hi Rebel, I went to the site as I'm considering getting some sort of diagnostic tool for my 88 - rather than using a bent paper clip and counting flashes - unfortunately they say it works on 1996 or newer.

There is a free software tool for PC's at Moates - http://www.moates.net/gmecm/software.html

I don't know anyone who has tried it.

regards
S'nut

Offline BlueVette

• Two Barrel
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 08:09:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm using the Diacom software .
It works on all GM cars until 1993, i think.
All 1968s carry the stigma of being "the worse quality" of all Corvettes.

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 10:34:35 PM »
"bent paper clip and counting flashes" ... ;-)

Although it says '96, I believ it will work on earlier models but can't confirm. I'll try further research but maybe the Diacom will help you in the mean time.

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 11:14:44 PM »
i have an "auto xray " hand scanning tool for .......weird thing is after i bought the scanner i ended up with an aftermarket ecm ..doh

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 12:54:32 PM »
I’m in touch with another Corvette enthusiast in Brisbane – he uses and recommends Win ADSL – the download is free and it can run on a laptop while you are driving. The interface cable is simple to make. I have access to a laptop so am going to try this program. This guy burns his own chips and has an 84, he’s job is electronics and instrumentation.

Here’s the web site     http://www.winaldl.webhop.net/  the program was developed by a Swedish guy called Jonas Bylund, known as JoBy on the various forums. Also known as the only guy to have supercharged a Crossfire ;-)

I’ll post back here in a week or two with results.

S’nut

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 04:42:07 PM »
S'nut,

Thankyou for the info! We'd be interested in an update once you get the software running on your laptop!

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 12:10:56 AM »
HI Rebel, just to let you know that the diagnostic program is working on an old laptop running NT but not communicating with my 88 vette.

I took it to my contact in Brisbane, just a 2000km drive down the road, and it works on his 84 so it looks as if my ALDL plug has a loose wire. Currently I’m fixing other things but also still looking for the car computer (ECM) – I know it has one but it’s not behind the lefthand dash or centre dash and it’s very cramped behind the steering wheel, I’ll have to take the dash lid off again – maybe next week.

The program looks great, it logs data if you want to go for a drive and has real time display of all sensors plus the TPS voltage and even simple things like speedo which is handy for replaying logged on road data. Program, is free and takes up half a floppy disc, nice and simple looking. Hope I can get it working on mine.

The ALDL plug end is 3 wires and can just be 3 loose pins inserted into car plug. Computer end is normal com port plug from Dick Smiths.

S’nut

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 09:09:15 AM »
I'd be very interested in learning all this now that I have an '85.

Good info!

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 10:57:28 AM »
Hi 77CVT, I see you’re in Brisbane so you have the advantage of Guru’s like John Bondock. He seems to do all that analysing stuff in his head !

I’m up in Cairns and maintaining the C4 got me scared, so far away from the Guru’s. So I decided I must take charge, even if I get a mechanic to do a job I must know about it first. This diagnostic program looks great but as I said I’ve only seen it working on Bens 84.

If you haven’t already been there, here’s a great site to explain much of the L98 workings - http://www.c4vettes.com

The description of what happens when you turn the ignition key is brilliant (and scary) the computer needs to see 4psi Oil and 37psi fuel plus a volume of air then it sends a spark to 4 of the plugs etc…..wow

As I’m sure you already know http://forums.corvetteforum.com/ gets you most answers in 24 hours or a week or two – very active and helpful. Without them I’d have bought a new MAF for $800+ instead of replacing 2 relays, etc, etc, etc

Was the Marty that you bought your car from, Marty Hewitt ?

S’nut

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Engine Diagnostic Tool
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 12:07:51 PM »
Yep - I got Marty's car!  Goes pretty good! ;-)  

Like you, I like to learn about anything prior to buying or working on anything.  This is my first jump into the computer side of cars.  Funnily enough, I found the L98 link only yesterday!