Author Topic: Shocks for 88  (Read 8452 times)

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« on: April 21, 2003, 10:06:13 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I use CorvetteForum a lot but thought it would be handy to get our aussie perspective on some things.

I posted this topic -re the harsh ride in my 88 -
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?&id=542153&postid=1543778793#1543778793

Basically I said "The ride in my 88 is very harsh and our roads (Cairns) are in poor condition. The entire car skips sideways on tiny bumps so although the tyres are huge I reckon I get better roadholding in my Fairlane !!!!!!"

The response suggests that many others are disappointed with the handling on rough roads.

I also discovered that the 88 has year specific shocks, which may be handy for others to know.

I found an interesting post here by 77cvt on spring rates and shocks - it was for a C3 but I think it applies to all cars

http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=432

My question is this - can I buy shockabsorbers for my 88 in Aus ?

Any suggestions on getting softer one's ?

TIA
S'nut

Offline DMCPONT

• Two Barrel
Shocks for 88
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 06:33:57 PM »
There are several brands  you c ould try..  Bilstens, KYB, Monroe & even pedders etc..

The first two are purely imported.. the KYB are usually made by Gabriel & the Pedders .. locally.. are made by Monroe Australia in SA. reputably as cheaply as possible.

Leave really two.. Bilstens & Monroe USA.

Buying them from GM USA will cost a big buck by the time they are actually here.. and cost alot outright to start with.. may not be a top option.

Monroe USA  - follow this link ...

http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/E_Catalog/catalog.aspx?sec=ocl&page=ocl_ecatalog&VG=0&MK=7&MDL=124&YR=1988&LST=559

Monroe (USA - not Australia!) produces TWO standards.. one is basically good ride with economics.. (ie freeway cruiser)
The other is primarily a firmer ride &  Monroes top of the quality line-up shock.

If your looking for them .. have a look on the link ....
http://www.usgmserviceparts.com
they are listed there...  (2) Go to Corvette Section (3) Go to 84+ Corvette (4) Go to Brakes & Mechanical.    Cost is around $180 pr plus GST for the better of the two class's and that includes delivery if prepaid by credit card etc.

This is not a commercial.  The part # you need is #5938 for the fronts & #5939 for the rears.. ring around if you wish .. somebody may have them local for you or whatever.
Hope this is of service .
Dave

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
Shocks for 88
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 08:20:32 PM »
Just a  new  thread  but  DMCPONT  I'm  at  berry  where  are  you??  its  lonely  down  here  with  most  of  the  vettesters  in  the  gong??  ;););)

Offline DMCPONT

• Two Barrel
Shocks for 88
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 08:52:40 PM »
We are at Oak Flats.. just up the proverbial Road.. (Ponti-World Industrial Rd etc)
Dave

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 05:41:45 PM »
Thanks for the info and links DMCPONT.

DrJ on the corvetteForum emailed me with some pics and info about sagging springs hitting the bump stops - so I'll check that out first as it does feel a bit like that.

As I mentioned , I discovered that the 88 has different shocks than 84-87 and 89- on. Are the part numbers you mention specifically for an 88?

I don't know why the 88 is singled out and whether it's a dimensions/travel or other difference...........yet

Thanks,

S'nut

Offline DMCPONT

• Two Barrel
Shocks for 88
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 08:10:27 PM »
Stingray... Yes its just the 88.. and the #'s I mentioned are 88 ONLY but the only real difference is in the FRONT SHOCKS.. the rears also run for a few other years also.

IT would be a compressed lenght difference I guess ...  but no big deal.. but you must run the right ones... and don't figure some type of Holden ones fit.. just get the right ones from where-ever..... and keep your pride and joy in tack.

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 11:03:39 AM »
Thanks DMCPont, have been thinking about the shocks and also fixing many things - That web site is great, they also have the amber globes for the indicators and the 50 watt driving light globes.

I've looked at the shocks you gave me the serial numbers on, plan to get more info on them - I think I need a smooth soft shocky - the Delco Bilsteins I have appear to be working, there's no rebound, but they are very resistant to travel - 20mm maximum when I bounce on the hood !!!! (I was desperate to see if they moved at all)

The current ride quality is shocking and affects driveability - makes me think I'm going much faster than I am - lane changing and overtaking at 100kph can be unpredictable.

S'nut

Offline Tom Matic

Shocks for 88
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 06:23:50 PM »
Maybe it's not your shockies that are causing the problem.

I had similar problems in my '86.  It had the standard issue tyres, with plenty of tread, but I found it tracked badly, bounced around bumpy corners and slid out on smooth ones.  After a couple of times on the track I figured that the tyres must have gone off - comperlety.

Sure enough, a new set of Falkens conmpletely transformed the car.  So much so, that it's no longer a challenge to drive, just about boring in fact.

It may save you a few dollars of unnecessary expenditure on shocks - what's your car's mileage though?  If you can, why not swap tyres from someone else's ar for a test session and see what happens.

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 11:00:14 PM »
Thanks Tom Matic, by co-incidence I put new Falkens on the front 2 months ago when I bought the car, 50% used Falkens on the back.

My tyres are 275x40x17 (not 16) so there could be some harshness of ride caused by the lower profile.

I'm not impressed with the Falkens, especially in the wet but the poor ride quality of the car may be making them look bad.

There's a lot of support in the US for Kumho tyres so I will probably try them next.

I should add that it is the sharp bumps - like the line markers, canetrain lines and uneven/breaking up bitumen that cause trouble, on smoother roads everything seems OK.

It's interesting that new tyres fixed your  problem - which does sound similar to mine - but there is so little travel in the suspension on my 88 - only 2cms !!!! MAX that I'm convinced (so far) that this is a prime ingredient in the poor ride.

I put a steel 1 metre rule against the wheel arch and sat on the hood, jumping up and down - I'm about 95kg. I have the Z52 softer spring.

Without damaging your car in any way, how much travel do you have ?

S'nut

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 02:25:13 PM »
I've decided that my shocks are too hard. The valves will not release enough fluid quickly enough - fine for smooth roads.

I've posted in the general discussions area to see what brand of shockabsorber is popular.

S'nut

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Shocks for 88
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 03:10:12 PM »
Do you know if the shocks you have now are able to be rebuilt/repaired? If so the you should be able to get them revalved as well.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Tom Matic

Shocks for 88
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2003, 11:36:32 AM »
Stingraynut

in response to your post of 8/6.

My Falkens - 451FK's - fronts are 255/40ZR17 and the rears are 275/40ZR17.  In my case, the bigger diameter, lower profile did not increase harshness of ride (originally 16 inch rims on my model)

My shocks are Koni gas adjustable, which were on the car when I bought it about ten years ago.  Sorry, I don't know any details of settings there.

The travel, with my static 115kg dead weight completely on the body immediatley above the wheels is 270mm at the front and  130mm at the rear.

Tom

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2003, 12:35:59 PM »
Thanks for that info Tom Matic, 270mm !!!!!! WOW, mine is a bare 20mm - you can see why I’m complaining about the harsh ride !!!!!!!!

On the other hand, 270 mm sounds like a lot – that’s just over 10 and a half inches on the imperial scale – I was expecting to find ‘normal’ was about 2 ½ to 4 inches or 60 to 120mm. Please can you confirm that your travel is 270mm, not 27mm ?

255 on the front…..what rims do you have ? I have the 12 slots – www.myvette.20m.com

It’s good to know the change of tyre to Falkens didn’t change the ride. I’m fairly convinced that my shocks just don’t react fast enough, long smooth bumps are fine. One of our Queensland Corvette experts, John Bondock, also recommends the Koni’s, but I’m concerned that our roads up here are too rough and that I’ll need something a bit softer.

Brutus – thanks for the re-con idea, I had checked that as they are about $50 each, that would have been the easiest way– they could have changed the valving too, I think. Unforutunately I have Deloco-Bilsteins which are manufactured in such a way that they can’t be re-conned.

270mm front suspension travel……..that would be smooth as

S’nut

Offline Tom Matic

Shocks for 88
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2003, 12:45:52 PM »
Sorry, being an old fart educated in the imperial system, I sometimes get a little confused with the metric stuff.  Delete the zeros from the end of the figures I previously mentioned.

My rims are Boyd Coddington Blasters.

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Shocks for 88
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 01:08:01 PM »
Ok, thought 270mm was a lot. I think this confirms my diagnosis that my shocks don’t act fast – we have almost the same amount of travel, it’s hard to measure accurately.

Metric versus Imperial………..it’s a pity we don’t all have one measurement. I’m a 1951 baby boomer, quite happy using metric but I have noticed that there are some things that naturally measure better in Imperial. MPG of course and things like planning/designing rooms, boxes – things for humans. Six feet will always be a better human unit than 180cm’s I reckon. Metric is so accurate though, I prefer it for most things.

Thanks Tom Matic, if you had confirmed 270mm I was going to ask for a picture of your ‘limousine’ and give you the bad news that it wasn’t a Corvette

S’nut