Author Topic: 1980 - The first drive answer - How it went  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Gazmic

1980 - The first drive answer - How it went
« on: May 06, 2007, 02:54:54 PM »
Hi All,
Well after a 4am start and 7 hours drive we arrived at the dealers yard. The car was in the at the front gate, doors open waiting for me. After many e-mails with the dealer and according to his ads the car is fully restored and in amazing condition.
First look inside, broken & worn rubbers & trim with some holes, screws missing around the broken dash, drivers side headlight didn't come up all the way,doors were open to dry the wet carpet, passenger electric window wouldn't come back up on its own, mysterious oil around the diff and under floor area that didn't look or smell like diff oil. obvious rust repairs simply painted over, rust around the radiator surround, passenger wiper fell apart in one swoop, bonnet wouldn't release without two people because of the lock adjust & release trigger's poor attachment. poor panel alignment down the passenger side was probably because of the bent chassis rail down that had signs of rust in a crackline, drivers side panels looked great except for the fibreglass lifting away from the frame. spare wheel missing.
All this and I was still willing to test drive it - remember it's an old car I told myself, maybe the drive will be worth it because the engine note was beautiful.
Within a few metres down the road I was scared in a straight line - constantly chasing the steering and then a few small bumps sent it wayward, I was only doing 60 and proceeded to 80 but wasn't game to push up to 100. Turning a normal RH corner at an intersection, move the steering and the wheels followed soon after and then kept on going, and so did I back to the yard with the car shaking with what we thought could be a totally worn shocky,maybe a bent driveshaft, an extreme miss in the engine or a combo of all the above. The worked 383 engine had much less go than my wife's 4 cylinder
More items I had planned on checking I didn't bother with.
Please tell me this is just a very bad example and not to lose faith in the Corvette life dream.

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »
wow that is extreme to the max,most corvette people i have had contact with are honest in their evaluations of their cars,i would put this down to a dodgy salesman with a unfortunatly negleted corvette that he should have advertised as a siutable restorer.you did not mention were you are from,there is a 80 model for sale in our cars for sale sectoin now at a very reasonable price with photos,allso you can request help online here from any of us to check a sertain car out for you before you make such a long journey in the future,just ask,there will allways another vetter that can help you.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 05:37:27 PM »
What area of Australia are you in - I might be able to help you find a much more suitable car if you're in Vic. I know where theres a few good ones.

What price range? What style - obviously C3, but earlier or later?

Send me a PM

Sorry your first one didn't pan out. WhenI was buying mine I looked at quite a few before the right one came. Normally the sellers are full of crap. I remember the first vette I looked at buying. Guy said it was great, all the pics looked great. After driving for a whole day to buy it we got there and it was a giant turd. I know exactly your dissapointment.

Even if you're not in Vic, send me a PM as I might be able to help you out. Cheers.

Offline Gazmic

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:49:57 PM »
Thanks for the quick feedback, I'm from Lismore on the far north coast NSW. My ideal car is 1980/81 4spd C3. The one I just drove was supposed to have a fully worked engine with a quick shift tricked auto - that's why I was swayed from the manual. Before my trip I checked all my regular on-line car sales favourites to make sure of nothing else out there & am now kicking myself as i only ever looked at your classified section didn't look far enough to your car for sale section. Thanks for the pointer the photo's of Bennett's look good and the price certainly in the budget. Hate to say it but after yesterdays experience I'm wary of another long trip.

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:49:09 PM »
The first Vette I checked out was a turd too.

Don't let it get you down, but they're old cars, you'll see some bad stuff.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:49:43 AM »
Most vettes that are traded in are like that - they sell them to people who are not vette people, just people who want a vette.

How much did he want for it?

Offline Gazmic

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
It's been advertised in the major car sales mag & on the web for $35K but offered it for $30K.
They import and do the conversions in-house......had all the right paperwork.........I think. Also had a C4 on the yard, don't know how much but one look was enough.

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »
I'd consider selling my car for that ... Not with the plates though...!

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:01:01 PM »
Originally posted by Gazmic
It's been advertised in the major car sales mag & on the web for $35K but offered it for $30K.
They import and do the conversions in-house......had all the right paperwork.........I think. Also had a C4 on the yard, don't know how much but one look was enough.

i think i know the car you talking about..seen it in mag as well....was it marroon? looks great in pictures....

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 10:34:27 AM »
For that price it would have to be RHD and in immaculate condition.  You can buy a decent C3 for $25 - $30k practically any day of the week!

Walk away!

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 03:48:50 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
For that price it would have to be RHD and in immaculate condition.  You can buy a decent C3 for $25 - $30k practically any day of the week!

Walk away!

Don't you mean Ruuuuunnnnn! ;39
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline wayovermyhead

• Two Barrel
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »
I have a seen a couple of chrome bumper big blocks that were in acceptable condition for 35k over the years. If your patient enough you could find a small block for that money that you would never regret buying.

Offline Gazmic

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
Yep, it's the maroon one - pictures and dealer feedback made me think I was on a winner

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 06:54:27 PM »
Originally posted by Gazmic
Yep, it's the maroon one - pictures and dealer feedback made me think I was on a winner

i was neraly going to ,ring about that car myself....glad i didnt as its a 2 day drive from me.hope you find something in better cond.