Author Topic: VL rack  (Read 3446 times)

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
VL rack
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »
I am considering changing my car to a Rack & Pinion steering setup. Other than the Revelation Racing setup that Cam has on his car does any body have a different setup on their car. I have heard of a few vette's and Camaro's succesfully converted with VL or VN Racks.

I would like to talk to anybody with one of these racks installed to understand some of the pro's & con's with one of these setups.
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
VL rack
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 07:18:17 AM »
I have a VL rack in mine. If you are going to the Gold coast you are welcome to have a sticky.
BB Motor is in stock position, Steering arms are shortened, 0 bump steer, Perfect achermann and a larger turning circle.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
VL rack
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »
I've been saying I'll get some pics of your setup for 2 years!  Maybe I won't be as hungover this time and forget again???  

See you there!

;42

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
VL rack
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »
Originally posted by RHD.68.l89
I have a VL rack in mine. If you are going to the Gold coast you are welcome to have a sticky.
BB Motor is in stock position, Steering arms are shortened, 0 bump steer, Perfect achermann and a larger turning circle.

Thanks for answering the post RHD.;42

Unfortunately I am not able to attend the Convention due to family and work commitments.
Is it at all possible to get some photo's of your setup and some insight into what had to be done and what difficultys you had so as to achieve the finished product.

Offline vette2bshaw

• Four Barrel
    • http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/vette2bshaw/
VL rack
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »
Originally posted by RHD.68.l89
Id like to see photos of the VL rack if you can post them ,Id love to convert mine using GM parts.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
VL rack
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »
is it a huge job? $$$$  involved?

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
VL rack
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 12:02:58 AM »
Geez! I didn't think anyone else was interested.

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
VL rack
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:22 AM »
I will be up there Thursday arvo so all friday is available for inspections and photos at $10 a pop;laugh ;laugh
The biggest expense was probably the shortened steering arms, getting them done by a professional and heat treated, xrayed etc.
I bought a S/H rack for the fit up and then had it recoed for the final fitting.
All bracketry I made myself and it reinforces the Chassis as well. The shaft from the column to the rack is stock VL from memory but the column has been shortened to improve the angle to the rack.
The shaft dives through the homemade extractors between #6 and #8 pipes.
Can't post pics at  the moment but do have a couple on my Puter.
Going to bed now,nighty night!

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
VL rack
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 12:47:18 AM »
Sweet Dreams!