Author Topic: chain conversions.  (Read 5836 times)

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
chain conversions.
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:46:39 PM »
hello again...does anybody have a chain conversion done to their c3 vette?? if so how does it drive.the reading ive been doing about the chain is that it seems to be a good thing.BUT truth is in the eye of the beholder.have heard they are not popular on the east coast.....?why?

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
chain conversions.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 11:51:56 PM »
looking for info on how they drive etc...ive read they drive excatly the same as nothing is changed in the way of steering geometry

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
chain conversions.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »
Bumping this.... VET005, you out there? ;42
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
chain conversions.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:29:55 PM »
vet005 has a chain drive perhaps?

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
chain conversions.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:43:34 PM »
Originally posted by nifty
vet005 has a chain drive perhaps?

He had one in his C4. ;42

He's pretty busy at the moment so I'm not sure if he'll have time to chime in...
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
chain conversions.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »
thats fine.....just read discussion on another forum on c4 chains......interesting.
really need to know if the same applies to the c3 chain....

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
chain conversions.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
With anything, it all comes down to the engineering.  I drove a chain drive and couldn't tell the difference, others hate them.

I had a brake bar conversion on my 77 and on inspection of the geometry, I reckon that it was the cause of my continual brake issues in that car.

Even some full conversions are rubbish.  I'm sure this doesn't help much but that's my $0.02

;42

Offline demonx

• Fuel Injected
chain conversions.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
I've driven a C3 with a chain conversion. The car also had a very soft front end.

It was when I was looking to buy a vette and I was test driving a few.

Long story short it felt dangerous and I couldnt wait to get out.

I had a Mechanic friend with me at the time. He drove it as well and he pulled off the road and told me he didnt want to drive it.

The steering was very sloppy. The soft front end made the car feel like a big pogo stick.

The car I bought is a full mirror conversion and drives nothing like the chain conversion car.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
chain conversions.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
If the car didn't wander around then the soft front end could be  crap shocks and springs.  When I got my 77 all 4 shocks were totally r##ted!

Lets face it, generally most of these cars haven't been looked after by their American owners and after 25 years they pretty much need work in the suspension dep't.

Having said that, I don't think a chain drive would be high on anyones list of must haves in a vette.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
chain conversions.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
Originally posted by nifty
hello again...does anybody have a chain conversion done to their c3 vette?? if so how does it drive.the reading ive been doing about the chain is that it seems to be a good thing.BUT truth is in the eye of the beholder.have heard they are not popular on the east coast.....?why?

I have to agree with 77CVT;51. If the engineering and workmanship of the installation is good then there is no reason that this kind of conversion is not good.

I think that the reason a lot of people don't like them is because there have been a lot of shonky jobs :v out there.
this kind of conversion leaves all your steering as per the original factory design an allows you to order off the shelf parts for your car, eg: steering parts, exhaust systems; air conditioning parts etc etc.

Also lets remember that a c3 Corvette did not have any real crush zones engineered into the chassis, so in the event of a serious accident there is less chance of the steering column spearing you;50 because it is not connected directly to the steering box.

I have also seen a car done with a shaft and bevel gears, although that was a Cadillac.

There thats my 5 cents worth.;49
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
chain conversions.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
thanks all....some good comments....i also read that mercedes audi etc use a chain drive for there rhd cars....?