Author Topic: Problems with 255/60R15 on a 72 vette  (Read 2966 times)

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
Problems with 255/60R15 on a 72 vette
« on: January 21, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »

My new tyres(255/60R15) were installed couple a weeks ago, however i have a slight problem with front right hand side.
The tire rub on the front hand side fender  when i am turning the vehicle either to the left or to the right(Above is a picture of the front handside tyre, it oulines the areas that affected by the tyre.

The left hand side is OK.

It only happens when i am turning the vehicle, in a straight line or speed humps all seems to be good.

Please note that i had 245 before and it was all good however i do like the looks of the 255, it gives an agressive look to the vette.

One of the members on this forum mentioned to me that i have to adjust the stoper on the left handside and i have been advised that any wheel alignement place can do the job. Tried few people and some of them were bit puzzled.

Anyway I am sure there is a way around it...may b kind of geometry? Can someone recommend what to do or what would be the detailed solution to the problem

thanks Heaps ;42

Now chromie wrote the following:

Originally posted by Chromie
Hi all
Do you mean tyres rubbing on chassis rail or inner guards
If it is rubbing on chassis rail then yes it is common to have to weld up the lock stops just enough for the tyres to clear the chassis rail by 4 or 5 mm
If the tyres are rubbing on the inner guards, then that is caused by one of two things
1/ Non factory wheel fitted
2/ Inner guards fitted incorrectly
The inner guard rubbing problem can be easily rectified by cutting the inner guard away from the outer guard carefully and reattaching it back further to enable clearance of the wheel.;42

is that the solution Chromie?

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »
i remember what chromie replied..it was in reply to my post of a friends 69 who had rubbing problems as well.
i welded up the lock stops and all good now.
hey jo....turn wheel full lock to the left,in behind wheel i found a small piece of angle iron.this is the lock stop refered to.but steve's tyres were only rubbing on inside not the fender itself.
.i had a similar problem to your rubbing on my old hq....get a tape measure out and measure the diametre and the width of the tyre....i had 245's on my hq,but left front was rubbing.turnsout it was a 255 tyre.. it had 255 markings on inside of tyre and 245 on outside.dont ask me how! even bridestone were stumped.got a new tyre and all good.

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 11:47:32 PM »
Originally posted by nifty
steve's tyres were only rubbing on inside not the fender itself.

Hey Nifty ,What do you mean rubbing on the inside? where abouts?
I may b did not explain it too well.
It is hitting the fender from the front and the end of it...not the middle section

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
his were rubbing on the inside fender....basiclly he was getting too much lock,as the lock stops were worn badly...
or as per your tyre picture above....the left "pin" at rear of tyre closest to door,was rubbing on inner plastic gaurd.put it on full lock right and you will see what i mean about inner gaurd.if you are going to weld them,use a mild steel welding rod.. or general purpose rod.....not a "tough rod"

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:08:09 AM »
Springs may have sagged on the right side Joe if they are rubbing where I think they are by your picture.  Check clearance from top of tyre to uderside of guard on both left and right hand guards.  The measurement should be the same.

For what it's worth I droped the 255's off mine and went for the 245's because of guard rubbing.

If memory serves the width of a tyre effects it's rolling diameter.

If the measurements are the same between tyres and guards then I would suggest that you give Chromie a call and have a yap over the phone.  This one could be a little hard to sought out over the net.  Just a thought.

Steering is something you need to get right.

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »
Hi jolinari :24
Sadly too many people restore/respray their Corvette without checking their body for tyre clearance.
If a Corvette body is to factory original specs 255 X 60 X 15 tyres will just fit.
However if your springs are too low (less than 2 fingers between tyre and guard) it will rub on the guard.
Same goes with body to chassis rail alignment, some times the body is not square on the chassis rail.
In order to give you a solution here I would need to see the Corvette. If all is OEM then it will require resetting of the guard and you guessed it respray that guard.;mmm

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
Originally posted by Chromie
Hi jolinari :24
In order to give you a solution here I would need to see the Corvette.

Good day Chromie ...thanks for your input

You have an email ;26