Author Topic: Help needed...in repainting back seat covers...  (Read 3639 times)

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
Help needed...in repainting back seat covers...
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:00:46 AM »
Hi guys,

I am planing to repaint some the componets parts inside my C3...back seat covers, rear quarter Panels, Steering column (upper bit).

I have to admit that i am not handy man at all, however i am very keen to give it a go. I need to know what do i need in terms of tools and other stuff apart the paint like primer, etc...

or if there is any link explaining the above procedure...please paste it on here

thanks

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:46:36 PM »
hey joe ,they have to be dyed,check corvette america for these numbers,4319,4321,432000,432100,there the dyes either in aerosol or by the quart,its up to you,but for the preparation process,i will wiat for someone else to chime in on that one..............ps page 263 in the catalogue.;laugh

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 04:23:51 PM »
Hi jolinari
There is a paint you can buy called vinyl paint it is meant for interiors
Hopefully your interior is black as that is easy to get and is RTU (ready to use)
Prep for interiors is
Vinyl prep (blue in colour) mixes with water
wash all vinyl parts to be painted as this will get all the armorall off and you may have to wash a number of times
No primer for interior vinyl
Steering column if it is a tilt/tele it is recommended to dismantle to paint (ask cam)
Non tilt/tele columns can be painted assembled (primer will be required and vinyl paint can be used but recomend normal paint or 2 pack depending upon gloss or matt finish.
Note when painting interiors do a trial run as silcone may still be present and recleaning may be required.
;42
Hope this helps

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:15:04 PM »
Originally posted by MADLT1
hey joe ,they have to be dyed,check corvette america for these numbers,4319,4321,432000,432100,there the dyes either in aerosol or by the quart,its up to you,but for the preparation process,i will wiat for someone else to chime in on that one..............ps page 263 in the catalogue.;laugh

Thanks for the info Glen but I dont think they can ship by air so i guess i have to get something locally

Originally posted by Chromie
Hi jolinari
There is a paint you can buy called vinyl paint it is meant for interiors
Hopefully your interior is black as that is easy to get and is RTU (ready to use)
Prep for interiors is
Vinyl prep (blue in colour) mixes with water
wash all vinyl parts to be painted as this will get all the armorall off and you may have to wash a number of times
No primer for interior vinyl
Steering column if it is a tilt/tele it is recommended to dismantle to paint (ask cam)
Non tilt/tele columns can be painted assembled (primer will be required and vinyl paint can be used but recomend normal paint or 2 pack depending upon gloss or matt finish.
Note when painting interiors do a trial run as silcone may still be present and recleaning may be required.
;42
Hope this helps

well Thanks Chromie for the information, very usefull indeed!
my interior is red so it is going to be a bit of bugger.
I checked with the NCRS boys in the states and advised me that red interior vettes did not have a uniform colour as all the interiors parts came from different suppliers. So for the colour "red" i am not really fussed about.

As for the preparation i guess i got start buying the necessary parts to do the job....Any recommendation where i can get the vinyl paint? do u sell it or can you get it Chromie?

As for the steering colomn...I have looked in the assembly manual for the 1972, it looks like it is a big job (correct me if I am wrong) so i will have to get some one to do it.
By the way do you need special tool to remove the whole thing?
;42

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:01 AM »
Joe check with Steve B.  He got his boys to mix my colour to match my leather.  Perfect.  He also had the parts sprayed for me.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:33:33 AM »
Hi jolinari
I cannot get the American paint in as it is a hazzard product
Do as Cam said get it made/tinted here;51
The steering column usualy does not require any special tools to remove from the vehicle but to dismantle it you will require special tools especially if it is a tilt/tele.
The vinyl prep is made by
SEM PRODUCTS INC
Part # 38344
Most decent auto paint suppliers should stock it;42