Author Topic: Mounts  (Read 2921 times)

Offline vette2bshaw

• Four Barrel
    • http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/vette2bshaw/
Mounts
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »
;30 Just wondering about centering my engine .What sort of problems are there ,and how youve got around them.IE firewall, engine mounts, gearbox tunnel etc . Are there prefabricated mounts available.

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Mounts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 04:14:09 PM »
Hi vette2bshaw
Under no circumstances should you change the position ofthe engine/transmission from factory. There is no need to do so to my knowledge.
GM has positioned the engine offset to the right
They have done this for a number of reasons;38
1/ To clear the steering box
2/ To create an angle for the universal joints on the drive shaft to work correctly.

If you reposition the engine to non factory problems will occcur
1/ Fan blades in fan shroud will no longer fit
2/ If engine is moved to the left the power steering pump may no longer fit
3/ Transmission tunnel may hit the transmission
and the list will go on.:an

Why would you want to reposition the engine?:24;50;53;48
Yes you can buy chassis rail engine mount towers (as OEM only)

Offline vette2bshaw

• Four Barrel
Mounts
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:17:41 AM »
G,day Chromie in your reasons lie some of my questions ,     1/ your first reason is based on LHD ,if your box is on the right no clearance ,    2/ if your drive line is centred front too rear there would be less universal wear,     3/ I run twin thermos ,    4/ Power stearing  pump is mounted on top right not bottom left ,   I have read the offset  was also to help balance weight and driver ,but with RHD conversion the weight is now even more one sided ,  and as others may have read on my past posts I have a 502 BB on a stand to be fitted and it has mecanical hilbourn injection ;54 which will be fitted at a later date also ,with the trumpet setup to protrude through the the bonnet which looks odd offset, centreing it will also give more header and booster clearance on drivers side RHD, If you read my BIO you can see the work isnt beond me I just wanted if someone may be able to help with info before I jump head first.

Offline vette2bshaw

• Four Barrel
Mounts
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:23 PM »
Once a LHD becomes RHD there is NO factory standard so you might as well build a beast;46 Im working on it. I also have an eye out for a steel bumper stocker.

Offline Chromie

• Tri Powered
    • www.corvette.net.au
Mounts
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:22:23 PM »
Hi vette2bshaw
There is plenty of clearance for the steering box to go on the right hand side
The universals require an angle of 2-3 degrees in order to make the needle rollers work if this is not done the universal joint will fail by wearing in the same place.
Thermofans do not guarantee a correct engine running temperature and usually results in the driver and passanger being uncomfortable as it will feel like you are driving with the heater on all the time.
Driver balance weight maybe a factor so is the driveshaft a factor and steering box clearance but due to the differential being a non moving part universal angle is the most important
I can see what you mean by the holes in the hood and how it wouldn't look cantre, maybe you could modify the hood slightly so it would look more central
Factory standard still is there engine, transmission and differential are unchanged
Park brake is still OEm
It is really just the steering dash and brakes that is changed (vent system is almost the same )
The general principals should remain the same. This way you will end up with a comefortable, reliable and plesant vehicle for cruising as I doubt that anyone would use their Corvette for a quick trip to the shops
Hope this helpsorvette;42:drink