Author Topic: They have instructions???  (Read 7209 times)

Offline George80ONE

• Two Barrel
They have instructions???
« on: February 10, 2003, 10:48:02 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Here is my problem.
Last year I had an extensive sound system moulded around the wheel arches and along the back in my 1981. However when they made and fitted the mould they made it too wide and now it sits out over the edge of the compartment border. I can still lift up both lids. Now the problem.  One of the hooks for the lids has broken and I want to change the type of latch. I need to get the lids off from the compartment. I know they are attached with a single rod to act as a hinge, but I need to get the rod out towards the centre of the car. I have been able to move one about 2 inches but now it won't budge.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
George.

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 09:51:46 PM »
G81, sorry we haven't had a response for you yet mate. Not sure if this'll help as mine may be custom, but, when I open each lid of the compartment, I can access screws that hold the hinge and therefore the door down. If your's is the same, can you open the lid high enough to remove the screws and then lift the doors off to work on ... ?

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 10:34:18 AM »
George

Can you remove the whole lid assembly?  Mine has a few screws that allow me to remove it all.

C U next club run.

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 08:26:30 PM »
I just rebuilt mine with MDF, covered them with carpet and fitted the original surrounds back on. Looks good and sits a whole lot better with the additional weight of the MDF lids. Plus there's now plenty of room for the screws to hold.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline George80ONE

• Two Barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 11:17:10 PM »
Brutus,
The screws that are at the back of the compartment have nothing to do with the lids. I assume they are what hold the whole assembly into place. I can lift the lids up to full opening and have even taken those screws out, but the hinge is separate to that. I would like some photos of your new lids with MDF as I was also thinking of replacing the inserts on the lids if I can get the lids off.
George.:b4

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 10:10:36 AM »
George

There are 2 (on mine) rivets that hold the lid to the frame.  You will need to drill those out to seperate the lid from the frame and pull the rod free.

:)

Offline George80ONE

• Two Barrel
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 10:57:10 PM »
Thanks for your help guys. I went over to 77cvt's place last weekend and we ended up cutting the lids off. As I had planned on replacing the lids with mdf or marine ply there wasn't any need to go gently.
Another modification to add to the list.
Regards,
George.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 10:18:20 AM »
Guy's..... get a Dremel!!  Worth the money!  ;35

(I NEVER thought I'd get to rip into Georges car with a cutting wheel! :22 )

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 03:18:20 PM »
Everyone should have a Dremel tool. They're such an all purpose device. When you've finished the fiddly work on your car you can then do the kids' teeth. :22
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 04:38:59 PM »
Brutus, didn't you read the instructions?  It specifically said "this tool is not to be used as a dentists drill". ;ay

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 05:12:30 PM »
BOB