Author Topic: 84 Dash Removal  (Read 7318 times)

Offline SAVette

• Two Barrel
84 Dash Removal
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »
Guys,
I need help to get the dash cluster out of my '84. The thing goes black intermittently but I can get it to light up perfectly by applying a little pressure to the bottom left corner of the panel. To me, this suggests a crook wire or earth or maybe a dry joint somewhere. All of which I can probably fix if I could get the mongrel out.

My problem is the plastic fascia covering the cluster. I can't pull it out because it's hooked under the crash pad, and I can't rotate it forward because it wraps around the right hand side. I believe I have to remove the crash pad.

I've taken the two screws out of the centre above the info centre and whole thing moves around a fair bit. It appears to me to be held by some spring clips around the front near the windscreen.

Does anyone know how this works? Am I on the right track or way off the mark. Any help really appreciated. ;37
Red '84 CFI

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 03:21:12 PM »
It's hard to tell with cars that are RHD as most of them are done differently.

Last time I pulled a cluster from a car with the LCD dash, I wound up removing the dash cover, centre fascia, passenger crash pad and the surround that covers that actual LCD dsiplay.

On another note, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when removing or working on the LCD display.  Too much pressure in one area can crack your LCD panel - these are $$$ to replace usually (IF you can find someone to sell an individual panel).  

There also may not be much play in being able to move the display if the cables taht plug into the cluster (on the lower right hand side of the cluster) as the cables do not have much slack in them to allow movement.

Lastly, for what its worth, the problem you have described is usually related to a bad ground.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline SAVette

• Two Barrel
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:38:27 PM »
Originally posted by Vette Obsessed
It's hard to tell with cars that are RHD as most of them are done differently.

I know, and this is what worries me. For all I know it's glued in with a kilo or two of urethane or something similar.

Last time I pulled a cluster from a car with the LCD dash, I wound up removing the dash cover, centre fascia, passenger crash pad and the surround that covers that actual LCD dsiplay.

What's the difference between the "dash cover" and "the surround that covers the actual LCD display"? And can you remember what you had to do to remove the "passenger crash pad"? That's the bit I need to get off.

Lastly, for what its worth, the problem you have described is usually related to a bad ground.

That's the bit that I'm hoping for, only we all know what finding a bad earth can be like. I can only imagine what sort of dodgey cut & shut wiring jobs is behind my dash panel for the coversion. I bet it looks nothing like what GM intended.
Red '84 CFI

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
Originally posted by SAVette
 It appears to me to be held by some spring clips around the front near the windscreen.

Hi SAVette, you're right about the clips.  Once you have all the screws undone, give the top of the dash a good tug and it will come loose.
Once the top of the dash is off you should be able to get the cluster out without too much trouble, just be careful with the electrical conector - don't tug at that!

Offline SAVette

• Two Barrel
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
Originally posted by Thunder Kiss
Hi SAVette, you're right about the clips.  Once you have all the screws undone, give the top of the dash a good tug and it will come loose.

I can't see any more screws anywhere, and whole centre section of the crash pad lifts up enough to be able to peer in a bit. I don't want to lift it any more in the middle for fear of cracking it. I'll give it another go and see what happens.

Thanks.
Red '84 CFI

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »
Don't lift it, just pull it towards youself.

Offline SAVette

• Two Barrel
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:40:21 AM »
Yeah, I understand that. I was only lifting it an inch or so so I could see what the hell was holding the thing in there. I could see what looked like the clips but I couldn't see any other screws. Still doesn't want to move though. Not that I can get a real good grip on the front of the pad. Might have to see if I can remove what look like speaker grills, not that there's actually any speakers under there. I'll keep trying.
Red '84 CFI

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
84 Dash Removal
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:13:15 AM »
On my 88 there are TWO SCREWS IN THE CENTRE AIRVENT that blows air onto the windscreen - sounds like you haven't removed them.

The only other screws are two underneath in the centre, above the 4 airvents that blow air into the cabin - I think these might be the two you've removed because you can lift the dash pad.

Then pull the pad up an inch and TOWARDS you,(lower the steerring wheel first). The front of the dash pad is held by clips and they get rusty, so the first removal is hardest, give them a spray of oil before you put it back.

Hope this helps and hope you get this before you break anything!!

S'nut