Author Topic: HELP....my so called performance slug  (Read 15043 times)

Offline mrvett

• Four Barrel
HELP....my so called performance slug
« on: June 22, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »
hey there people...i own an 87corvette convertable which is basically stock with auto trans. the performance work which i hav done includes straight through mufflers, removed the two pre cats but kept the larger cat in the middle, installed a 3.73gear ratio, cold air induction, 52m throttle body, and an adjustable fuel reg.
i went to the mechanic an put her on the dyno an she only made 136rear wheel kw. :P

does anyone know if these figures are normal for the amount of work or little work she has had done?

i found this a very low figure..im actually kinda scared to run her on drag strip
how much do your cars make? espically the c4's out there, also if anyone has run their car down the strip an got times an details that wld b great

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »
stock they should make about 150rwkw(200rwhp)
mine makes just over 400rwhp.and covers the 1/4 in the high 11's.

but i think that there is definately something wrong with yours.
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:59:21 PM »
It's all about you,you,you - Any chance to gloat hey Bosch! "mine has 400rwhp" na na na!
;53
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline hot 70

• Two Barrel
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:00:29 AM »
hey 69dr how come your dragging the chain?
still looking

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 07:24:05 AM »
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT
It's all about you,you,you - Any chance to gloat hey Bosch! "mine has 400rwhp" na na na!
;53

you live in hope that one day you to can play with the big boys;46;46;46;46

it is all about me me me me me me me me me;laugh;laugh;laugh
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
I'd expect a late-ish L98 to dyno up to 220(ish)RWHP based on what I've seen.  (For once Boschie is being conservative with something (as opposed to going all-out ;41)).

ET-wise, most stock or basically stock auto L98's in good tune I've seen seem to be capable of 14.0-14.5 second ET's.

I'd check the basics first, timing, fuel pressure, good spark to all plugs, etc.

From what I understand, a 52mm throttle body is pointless with basic mods (I have one too but if I did it again I wouldn't have done it so early).

Before you look at more mods I'd be looking to find why your output is so low - which I guess would be a basic tuning issue.

I'd also ask what sort of dyno was used (and if it was a Dyno Dynamics dyno - was it in "Shootout Mode") when your power run was made?
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »
Go and check the basic's first, do a comp test as low comp = low power output
you can't tune an engine unless the comp is spot on and if someone is trying too they are ripping you off
My very stock 98 with a full tank of fuel did 14.0
I have never put it on a dyno and can't give you a hp figure, i was happy with 14.0
Decide what your happy with a high hp reading on a dyno or a low 1/4 time

Offline MR 502

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:15:32 PM »
My 91 conv L98 at our dyno day put out 206 rear wheel hp
and at the drags on a wedensday night my best was a 14.003 @ 95.79mph or 154.1 kph
This car is stock standard (with C5 wheels);54

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 05:47:45 PM »
Since we are on the subject of performance slugs i have never seen any of the RAT PACK post a time better than boschvette's 11.7 in a small block
i thought the rat pack were leaders not followers hahahahaha sorry
untill one of the rat pack members inprove on this time they should all turn up to club meetings in skirts any colour would be nice or better the time, its time to put up or ........... iron your skirts for the next meeting

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »
If you refer back to The RAT PACK rules and regulations, although quick times are good they are not a must! Only meeses have to prove themselves. When you are cool why try and prove it! Does the Primeminister have to constantly prove he is the Primeminister? Its the same situation....we have nothing to prove....we are at the top of the food chain! I can bring up the laws of averages if you like! Well the fact that 1 mouse is fast and the rest of you guys are slow...it doesnt look good for you meeses! If you average big block times you will see that most Rats will beat most small blocks! ;41;37
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »
Hey Hey....wow....this has become a rather interesting thread..... another bigblock Vs smallblock or is that smallblock great 1/4 mile times, awaiting bigblock to prove itself yet again....;48

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »
it has only taken 1 mouse to bring down the rat pack, possible the first of many
untill the rat pack responds will we see all of you in nice new skirts at the next meeting
dont leave it to the last minute to go shopping

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
the silence from the rat pack shows weakness,follow me my children as we are about to rule the world;54;54;54;54;54;54

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »
Any stock 85-87 I've seen has never had more than 200 rwhp (same dyno).  Mine only made 198 with no MAF screens (that mod is worth 4 rwhp).  Mine did 14.2 (with 3.07 gears)on the 1/4 just bprior to blowing it up in Melbourne.  It now does 13.6 with no traction.

You won't get much without at the least a decent dual exhaust.  A new cam, intake and headwork will drop you up to a second ET.

What pressure are you running your fuel reg?  Did you set it on the dyno?

Offline MR 69ER

• Four Barrel
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Hey, Hey looks like us Rats are gonna have to hi-jack this thread and lay down some facts. 99 out of every 100 Power thumping, Gaz Guzzlin, Tyre Frying, Neck Snapping Big Blocks runs the quater in 13 seconds and under and puts out an average of 300RWHP. Given the fact also that most big blocks are vintage with an average age of 35 years where do all you 1990 and later models get off. As for your remark SC for wearing a skirt to the next meeting it is ironic that you know so much as to iron it first, something of experience one would imagine given your lifetime membership to the Mice Inc. of Australia. I always thought the skirts I saw on your clothesline were CC's or your daughters but obviously I was wrong and clearly they are mearly your Mice Inc. Club Uniform.;41;41;41;41;41;41
:20:20:20:20:20:20

Offline mrvett

• Four Barrel
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
Any stock 85-87 I've seen has never had more than 200 rwhp (same dyno).  Mine only made 198 with no MAF screens (that mod is worth 4 rwhp).  Mine did 14.2 (with 3.07 gears)on the 1/4 just bprior to blowing it up in Melbourne.  It now does 13.6 with no traction.

You won't get much without at the least a decent dual exhaust.  A new cam, intake and headwork will drop you up to a second ET.

What pressure are you running your fuel reg?  Did you set it on the dyno?

no didnt set fuel reg on dyno...but i took her to track a while ago before i changed gears ratio to 3.73s, throttle body 52m, cold air, an fuel reg an she ran a 14.60. now thats slow but i didnt think that bad for stock. i wil def run her as soon as i can an let u's all kno

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 08:02:50 PM »
no didnt set fuel reg on dyno...but i took her to track a while ago before i changed gears ratio to 3.73s, throttle body 52m, cold air, an fuel reg an she ran a 14.60. now thats slow but i didnt think that bad for stock. i wil def run her as soon as i can an let u's all kno [/quote]

Hey Mr Vette, don't feel too bad about the times, its most likey a timing thing.

Anyway, you would most likely definately whip my ass in the quarter... as mines probably a lot slower than yours.

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline SC

• Four Barrel
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »
I was wondering who the snow dropper was a few things have gone missing from our cloths line
dont try and change the subject put up or look nice at the next meeting
how many of the rat pack will be wearing heels with their skirts

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 10:05:37 PM »
Ok.  Now I was asked to give a little more latitude for off topic comments in threads.  I think I've been pretty good.

But out of 18 post's in this thread, 11 are off topic.  Fair is fair guys.  Consider the poor guy who is trying to learn something here.

Call me a wet blanket but someones got to do it.  And at the moment that someone is me.

So how about it lads?

Cam
Forum Admin;42
[/i]
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 10:16:01 PM »
:o

Hey mrvet.
I bet my slug is slower than your slug, also my slug is biggggggger than your slug.

:grr :mmm :b4 :grr