Author Topic: Buying a C4 from the US for parts.  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Buying a C4 from the US for parts.
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:34:01 PM »
I'm floating the idea of making this happen and looking to see if someone else might be interested in discussing the possibility of being a part of this venture along with me.

Any thoughts on this subject and what could be gained from it feel free to ask away.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:52:02 PM »
Damm good idea.  Hope someone chimes in for ya.

Hang on............ C4?????

I have also copied this down to the Importing Cars Forum with a link back here.  Will give you more exposure.
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »
Thanks Cam. I'll expound on my choice of model, if and when I get something a little more positive to work with.
Bob
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »

Hang on............ C4?????

He's after some cup holders.

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
I can't get anything past you can I Chris?;laugh
BOB

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:31:01 PM »
quite a thought you have there...

have you considered the cost of shipping expenses, quarintine, gst AND customs duty (since it is under 30 years old)..then transport/tow from the shipping warehouse.. it all adds up!

if you are seriously thinking about it and need more specific sums I can help you out....just give me a buzz.

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 08:54:54 PM »
Originally posted by cosmicvette
quite a thought you have there...

have you considered the cost of shipping expenses, quarintine, gst AND customs duty (since it is under 30 years old)..then transport/tow from the shipping warehouse.. it all adds up!

if you are seriously thinking about it and need more specific sums I can help you out....just give me a buzz.

Yes I am aware of most of the expenses involved thanks Cosmic. I imported my 64 just over 2 years ago, the long way round from Florida. I was not aware tho of any extra duty incurred because a vehicle was under 30 years old.
Are motor vehicles that are made in the US not exempt from duty because of the Trade Agreement, as is anything else that is manufactured there?
I'm just weighing up my options at the moment as far as importing a C4 purely as a parts vehicle only and not intended to be either converted or registered, so as far as that part of the deal is concerned, I'm not up to date with where that leaves me in regards to our Governement's healthy share of the deal.
Thanks.
Bob
BOB

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
Originally posted by Brutus

Yes I am aware of most of the expenses involved thanks Cosmic. I imported my 64 just over 2 years ago, the long way round from Florida. I was not aware tho of any extra duty incurred because a vehicle was under 30 years old.
Are motor vehicles that are made in the US not exempt from duty because of the Trade Agreement, as is anything else that is manufactured there?
I'm just weighing up my options at the moment as far as importing a C4 purely as a parts vehicle only and not intended to be either converted or registered, so as far as that part of the deal is concerned, I'm not up to date with where that leaves me in regards to our Governement's healthy share of the deal.
Thanks.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately vehicles, even if made in the USA, are not exempt from customs duty. (unless the vehicle is OVER 30 years old).

It sucks having to pay GST AND Customs Duty.

Being a parts car, the market value of the vehicle wouldn't be all that much, so I guess the GST and Cutoms Duty isn't going to be all that much.

Worth the thought, I agree.

Stay cool!

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:58:08 AM »
ALEX THE EXPERT!!! WEN WE WILL HAVE A SECTION ON IMPORT I RECKON THEY SHOULD MENTION UR NAME FOR ANY TIPS OR ADVISE