Author Topic: How much is an original 1972 LT1 worth?  (Read 7669 times)

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
How much is an original 1972 LT1 worth?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
Any early C3 with any sort of rareness are starting to rise in price rapidly! I think its probably worth that price in the current market????mainly because of NCRS status. athough its not a 70LT1 which has the better horsepower!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:05:18 PM »
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT
Any early C3 with any sort of rareness are starting to rise in price rapidly! I think its probably worth that price in the current market????mainly because of NCRS status. athough its not a 70LT1 which has the better horsepower!

well NCRS helps to increase the value of the car i guess...but ur definetly right on...whether it is worth it in this market place

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:50:02 PM »
hey joe,anything lt1 you need 2 know just ask me,i have been reseaching these beasts for a good long time now.they require the same amount as respect as say a big block of the same era.lt1s were made in 1970,71 and 72,production total as respective years is 1,287  plus25 zr1s, 1,949 plus8 zr1s,1,741 plus 20 zr1s.there is no documented numbers of convertibles that i could find anyway.as far as i know i have the only lt1 convertible in australia,if someone out there has one please come forth as i would luv to share information.there was one for sale 3 months ago in queensland a 71 t/top for 75,000.the 70s had the most hp at 370 but ran 11 to 1 comp,hardly able to drive this on pump gas,the 71 has 330 hp with 9 to 1 comp,the 72 has255 hp but this one you could order air conditioning,the other 2 you could not because of the high winding solid camshaft,gm said with air the drive belts would fly off,so only 188 customers order air in 72 making the 72 lt1 air cars highly sought after.aquick run down on what was in a lt1 is 4 barrel double pump holleys,high rise alluminium inlet manifold,finned alloy tappet covers,double hump fullie heads,stainless valves,trw forged pistons,solid lifter camshafts,lt1 conrods,4 speed manuel,aoutomatic was not an option,pianted stripes on hood these are the obviouse things i can think of without resorting to my books.like any uver vett price will be based on condition,documentation,rareness and what the buyer is willing to pay.but personally i think lt1s should command same prices as a basic big block,but that doesent mean i want to offend the pride of the big block boys,:mmm

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:09:19 PM »
Originally posted by MADLT1
hey joe,anything lt1 you need 2 know just ask me,i have been reseaching these beasts for a good long time now.they require the same amount as respect as say a big block of the same era.lt1s were made in 1970,71 and 72,production total as respective years is 1,287  plus25 zr1s, 1,949 plus8 zr1s,1,741 plus 20 zr1s.there is no documented numbers of convertibles that i could find anyway.as far as i know i have the only lt1 convertible in australia,if someone out there has one please come forth as i would luv to share information.there was one for sale 3 months ago in queensland a 71 t/top for 75,000.the 70s had the most hp at 370 but ran 11 to 1 comp,hardly able to drive this on pump gas,the 71 has 330 hp with 9 to 1 comp,the 72 has255 hp but this one you could order air conditioning,the other 2 you could not because of the high winding solid camshaft,gm said with air the drive belts would fly off,so only 188 customers order air in 72 making the 72 lt1 air cars highly sought after.aquick run down on what was in a lt1 is 4 barrel double pump holleys,high rise alluminium inlet manifold,finned alloy tappet covers,double hump fullie heads,stainless valves,trw forged pistons,solid lifter camshafts,lt1 conrods,4 speed manuel,aoutomatic was not an option,pianted stripes on hood these are the obviouse things i can think of without resorting to my books.like any uver vett price will be based on condition,documentation,rareness and what the buyer is willing to pay.but personally i think lt1s should command same prices as a basic big block,but that doesent mean i want to offend the pride of the big block boys,:mmm

WOW quiet impressive Stuff Glen...ur pretty knowledgable on the LT1...

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 08:28:30 PM »
thats just the tip on the ice berge,i got numbers for just about all the parts for reference checks,it is just another part of enjoyment in the corvette hobby.and the great thing is all the information is out there, you just gotta find it.a perfect example,a good friend is into the restoration of a ht holden monaro,original 307 chev ralley pack.warren turnbull bought the archival rights off gmh and made a book simillar to our black book,made 300 copys sold out,made reprints twice of about 550 prints each time,thats it you cant buy this book any more,the monaro story....ebay prices reach 800 dollars i am told,this is absollutelly redicullouse,an utter farce in the restoration and preservation aof the australian sports car...........

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:05:36 PM »
Mad LT1,
Vic Vettes has a member with a 71 LT1 Vert, blue on blue, white top, still LHD. Came out of NZ. I think it is in good original condition, ie unrestored. I will ask him if he would like to share info with you.;40

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »
Originally posted by RHD.68.l89
Mad LT1,
Vic Vettes has a member with a 71 LT1 Vert, blue on blue, white top, still LHD. Came out of NZ. I think it is in good original condition, ie unrestored. I will ask him if he would like to share info with you.;40

is that the 1 was @ NCRS?

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »
The one judged at the Melb NCRS meet is owned by Peter W. (Corvette Clinic). Alan Mac owns the one I am talking about. Not sure if Peter's is a Coupe or Vert. I thought it was a coupe. Ask Murray, he would know for sure.
Just as an aside, there were TWO 68 L89 Verts at the meet but not judged.

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 01:01:06 PM »
Originally posted by RHD.68.l89
The one judged at the Melb NCRS meet is owned by Peter W. (Corvette Clinic). Alan Mac owns the one I am talking about. Not sure if Peter's is a Coupe or Vert. I thought it was a coupe. Ask Murray, he would know for sure.
Just as an aside, there were TWO 68 L89 Verts at the meet but not judged.

it is a convertible...i know that for a fact...i have judged  the exterior of it....very clean car!

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »
Joe,

Figuratively speaking, like anything in this world, the value of any item/car is based on the price a consumer is willing to pay for it.

Eg:  We were willing to part with "X" amount  of money to pay for our babies... and some ... like those who have no idea, would think we are absolutley mad... but thats all a matter of opinnion.

So, basically speaking, the car in general, is worth a alot of money...heck its a C3 of all (sorry to offend all other vette owners)... how much, well, it all depends on the day and who is interested.

Judging fom the pics and nformation, its a very nice well preserved machine..

Oh MADLT1, great information.

Would love to have a look at your vette... M...looks terrific....

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 06:40:50 PM »
Originally posted by 69VETTE
Joe,

Figuratively speaking, like anything in this world, the value of any item/car is based on the price a consumer is willing to pay for it.

Eg:  We were willing to part with "X" amount  of money to pay for our babies... and some ... like those who have no idea, would think we are absolutley mad... but thats all a matter of opinnion.

So, basically speaking, the car in general, is worth a alot of money...heck its a C3 of all (sorry to offend all other vette owners)... how much, well, it all depends on the day and who is interested.

Judging fom the pics and nformation, its a very nice well preserved machine..

Oh MADLT1, great information.

Would love to have a look at your vette... M...looks terrific....

M;36

totally agree with u MIC

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »
that is a very good responce boys,i will be looking forward to meeting as many of you guys at the convention,i knew of the lt1 in queensland and some years back there was a lt1 for sale in south australia but it was a t/top,so you are saying there is a lt1 convertible in victoria?if so i am very very interested in meeting this person,if too many more of these come into the country i just might have to go fully original,....:mmm

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 10:28:22 PM »
that is a very good responce boys,i will be looking forward to meeting as many of you guys at the convention,i knew of the lt1 in queensland and some years back there was a lt1 for sale in south australia but it was a t/top,so you are saying there is a lt1 convertible in victoria?if so i am very very interested in meeting this person,if too many more of these come into the country i just might have to go fully original,....:mmm

original...would b great idea Glenn!;34

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 11:21:08 AM »
so you are saying there is a lt1 convertible in victoria?if so i am very very interested in meeting this person,if too many more of these come into the country i just might have to go fully original,....:mmm

Hi MADLT1, FWIW, just confirming there are two 1971 LeMans Blue LT1 verts here in Vic. As stated, Peter W from Corvette Clinic and Alan Mac from Vic Vettes. If you visit the Vic Vettes website you will see Alan Mac's LT1.
Alan lives approx 20 minute drive from me, here in Vic.
Alan Mac purchased his back in 2001 from a guy in Ballarat Vic who also had a Steel Cities Gray 1971 LT1 coupe. The Steel cities gray coupe was later sold to Sth Aussie if memory serves me correctly.
Also, the guy who currently owns the 1971 Warbonnet Yellow LT1 coupe in Brisbane also has a 1971 LT1 vert that is under restoration as we speak.
Judging by the numbers of vettes that are claimed to be down under circa 4000; who knows how many other LT1's are tucked away safely in a garage nearby!
Alan regularly travel interstate on business. If you would like to contact him, shoot me a PM with your contact details and I will forward them to him. Alan is a stand up guy who is really into Camaro's, but bought the 1971 LT1 because his wife told him he'd be mad if he did'nt.

Peter W's LT1 has recently undergone a repaint and a cosmetic touch up. It's a very nice car. It has the same blue interior and white top as Alan Mac's. It recieved a second flight at the recent NCRS meet at Sandown Park Raceway in Feb, 2006.

Regards and ;42
Wayne

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »
hey rubyzr1 that is great news i would love to chat with alan mac from vic,you can email me at.......karen4@aapt.com.au            or i will be at the convention at penrith,would luv to see another lt1 in the flesh....allso congrats to peter wssecond flight award...any pics on the web?...:b4

Offline RubyZR1

• Two Barrel
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
Hi Glenn, I have forwarded your email address to Alan Mac.
I hope he contacts you soon.
I am unaware if Peter W has any pics of his LT1 on the web. I know Jo aka (jolinari) took many digital pics whilst at the NCRS meet last month. He may have some of Peter W's 71 LT1. There's only one of Alan Mac's on vic vettes web site.
Unfortunately  I don't have a digital camera or any pics of either of Alan Mac's or Peter W's 71 LT1's.
David Harber's 1971 Warbonett Yellow LT1 coupe is still on the carpoint.com.au website. There's a few pics of it there.
Alan Mac also sent me about 20 thumb nails of the Warbonett Yellow coupe last month. I will try and forward them to your email address, if you're interested.
Hope this helps.;42
Wayne

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »
yes very interested,thanks for the quick responce..i am sure i will be in contact with these people soon as i feel we would share a common bond....buy the way wayne will you be comeing to the convention?;laugh

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 10:58:17 PM »
Originally posted by RubyZR1
Hi Glenn, I have forwarded your email address to Alan Mac.
I hope he contacts you soon.
I am unaware if Peter W has any pics of his LT1 on the web. I know Jo aka (jolinari) took many digital pics whilst at the NCRS meet last month. He may have some of Peter W's 71 LT1. There's only one of Alan Mac's on vic vettes web site.
Unfortunately  I don't have a digital camera or any pics of either of Alan Mac's or Peter W's 71 LT1's.
David Harber's 1971 Warbonett Yellow LT1 coupe is still on the carpoint.com.au website. There's a few pics of it there.
Alan Mac also sent me about 20 thumb nails of the Warbonett Yellow coupe last month. I will try and forward them to your email address, if you're interested.
Hope this helps.;42
Wayne

Wayne boy is that u? i did take lots of pics indeed...

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »
very clean car indeed