Author Topic: 1984 Engine Swap  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Slingray

• Two Barrel
1984 Engine Swap
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »
Hey guys,

Looking at buying a 1984, I'm giving some consideration to an engine swap, changing the Crossfire to true EFI.

I was wondering on peoples thoughts, has anyone replaced their Crossfire with a true EFI system?

Thanks everyone

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »
it is very very easy and a good way of getting into a high performance vette cheap
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:06 PM »
Bare in mind ,none of the the '84 engine electronics will work with the later EFI be it TPI or LT1 type.
You will need a different ECM  and loom as well as the manifold , throttle body , injector setup.
The ECMs are cheap , the wiring loom go for US$250+ as removed from car.
Can get good performance from Crossfire injection if you know what to do.
Ask Ben73 on this Forum how to make a CF run.

Offline Slingray

• Two Barrel
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:23:23 PM »
Originally posted by 87Z51
Bare in mind ,none of the the '84 engine electronics will work with the later EFI be it TPI or LT1 type.
You will need a different ECM  and loom as well as the manifold , throttle body , injector setup.
The ECMs are cheap , the wiring loom go for US$250+ as removed from car.
Can get good performance from Crossfire injection if you know what to do.
Ask Ben73 on this Forum how to make a CF run.

Thanks for the reply. My main concern with the Crossfire is that if I were to get it tuned for performance it would start chewing up my petrol bill. I understand the EFI from 1985 on was approx 11% more fuel efficient while adding around 30bhp. I like the sound of the extra 30bhp but to be honest, I really like the sound of going 11% further on a tank of petrol.

When you say a different ECM, do you mean another Corvette ECM from a later model or an aftermarket ECM? Thanks again.

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »
You will need a later model Vette ( or possibly F body ) ECM  and wiring to suit whatever manifold you are going to use.

Offline ben73

• Two Barrel
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:35:08 PM »
Although its not a difficult job for someone who knows what they are doing, I don't know whey you would bother.  Don't believe all the rubbish you read about Crossfires.  99% of this is written by people whop have not owned one and are just perpetuating hearsay.
From a functional point of view, it is essentially the same as the TBI system used on MILLIONS of chevy trucks from about '87-95 and is totally reliable and returns great fuel economy.
Sure the manifold chokes it a bit, but it will easily make up that extra 30hp you mentioned with a mild port job on the manifold and a good tune.  A baby hydraulic cam doesn't hurt either ;-)

If you have your heart set on TPI, I'd suggest looking for an '85- car.   If you are set on this '84, I'd say you should give it a tune up and drive it for a while before you consider a top end swap.

I've got one, and I love it because its a bit of an oddball and an underdog, and because most people will say they can't make good power..  

Its a real DIY car.  You can make good power, but its not a matter of opening up a catalog, then your wallet and bolting on some parts.  It is not supported by the aftermarket, so you must make most hi-po bits yourself.  I dunno what type of guy you are, but thats where the appeal lies for me.

Hope that helps some..

Ben.
Red/Red '84  12.4@111.6mph

Offline 86er

• Four Barrel
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »
Very well said Ben 73
Vette blues

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
1984 Engine Swap
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 04:21:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply. My main concern with the Crossfire is that if I were to get it tuned for performance it would start chewing up my petrol bill. I understand the EFI from 1985 on was approx 11% more fuel efficient while adding around 30bhp. I like the sound of the extra 30bhp but to be honest, I really like the sound of going 11% further on a tank of petrol.

When you say a different ECM, do you mean another Corvette ECM from a later model or an aftermarket ECM? Thanks again.

My '85 sure ain't 11% more efficient, but I'll bet I chew less fuel then Ben!  ;-)