Author Topic: First timer - C4 or C3??  (Read 16963 times)

Offline bradmart

• Two Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »
Hi guys & gals,
Have been looking around at a few C4s, and after seeing a Mustang Club run this morning started thinking about C3s. This seems irrelevant I know, but as someone who is technically incompetent, and incapable of any repairs to a car, I can't decide whats going to be better - an older, more mechanically and electronically basic classic (ie C3/ Mustang Fastback/ Camaro) or something like the C4 which I absolutely love but has more electronics in it than the Chevy factory probably did at the time. Its inevitable I'm going to have to spend $$$$ on parts, and I accept that, but can anyone give some insight into the relative reliability of C3 vs C4?

Also a by-question - interiors of C4s. Most seem to be almost falling apart eg cracking around the dash screws, frosting plastic next to shifter, very worn leather on drivers side (hard to get in i know...), sagging panels. Granted I'm looking around the $30K mark or below so never going to get a top example, but is this the case with pretty much all of them? Has anyone completely restored an interior using a mechanic/ trimmer? How much did parts cost?

Thanks all - any help appreciated. Looking forward to coming out with you all on a club run some time soon!!

Cheers
Brad

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »
There are many for's and against on both machines.  Me, I like the c3's just for the reason you pointed out.  Older design mechanics less electronics.  I'm told c4's are much more pleasant to drive and the suspension is far better.  Suppose thats why I'm going to change my suspension to c4 style.

I just did a complete rebuild on my c3.  I did most of it myself with some help from spray painters and engine builders.  I rewired most of it.  I wouldn't have attempted it my self if it was a c4.  Mind you this is coming from someone that grew up with carby v8's and no electronics in the cars in the 70's.

It's often comes down to personal  taste.  But you don't need to worry about electronics in the old C3's.  Just about any mechanic or auto sparks could work on them.

As far as parts go.  If you want to check out spare part prices the club has an account with Ecklers in the united states.

CLICK ME for there web site.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum bradinho.;32

I wouldn't be put off by C4s because of electronics.  I would probably put myself in the same boat as you when it comes to mechanical ability.

I've owned my '86 for around 8 years now and not had any electrical problems that weren't easily fixed.  As with any car, be patient and buy the best one you can afford.  Look for a car that has been profesionally converted and, again, don't be put off by worn trim or cracked plastics, they can be replaced or repaired.

C4 Corvettes are very comfortable cars to spend time in and could easily be used as daily transport if well maintained.  In fact, I used mine as a daily driver for around a year before I decided I wanted to look after it a bit better and only use it on weekends.

Just like yourself, I like older cars too.  I also have a '69 Mustang convertible and although it probably gets more attention from the general public, I know which car is nicer to drive, the Vette.

In the end it's your decision but I wouldn't give up my C4 for anything....;aywell, maybe a C5?

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 08:07:12 PM »
well if ur mechanical knowldege is not up to it! well that makes 2 of us...i have 72 and let me tell u 6 months ago...i had no idea about mechanics...but quickly with manuals and documentaion that you could buy...you will understand how things work and as a matter of fact C3 are not complicated cars...easy to fix and u could learn quickly on them..
but it all depends what is ur heart saying? u want the agressive look of the C3? or u want the comfort of the C4?
i guess it is subjective...but i am sure u would lean on one side more than the other!!!

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 08:07:52 PM »
What, not a c6 Thunder?

Cam
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 08:30:46 PM »
Originally posted by Cameron 77C3
What, not a c6 Thunder?

Yeah, maybe in 20 years I'll be able to afford a C6;38

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »
C3's are way :v!

C4's have cup holders for the latte swilling yuppies.

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:50:01 PM »
i am a C3 fanatic so my opinon would be kind of 1 sided even though we have also had 2 C4's
with C4's it all comes down to who has converted them there's a few mobs cars i wouldn't touch

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:53:18 PM »
Hello Bradinho,

Firstly i would also like to welcome you to the forum.

I agree with all the guys comments above, and would also like to say, before you buy, go out and try and look at as many vettes as possible.

Mainly... and i think the most important factor when deciding what to buy is what will your budget allow you to purchase.

When it comes down to it...you have to decide what is your limit and work around the price range... don't be put off with electronics.. or mechanical issues... one thing ove learned about being in this club, everybody in the club is always keen to help out where they can.

If you get stuck, or need help... you will find it in this club...

Oh... like yourself, i also was interested in purchasing a C4 and nearly bought a 1996, but then i came across my Evette (thats my C3), and my decision was made easy....... i think it all came down too me owning a classic muscle car.

GoodLuck with wich ever way you go....cause you can never be wrong with a Vette.

M;36
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 08:03:54 AM »
Hi bradinho, and welcome to the forum,

At the end of the day it is personal preference between C3's or C4's. Like previously mentioned it is about what type of ride your after and weather you like all the creature comforts of a C4 or prefer the more basic features of a C3. My only advice is you get what you pay for in either of the models. With a budget of 30k you are bound to get something that requires a heap of money spent on it to tidy it up. On the other hand if you lift your budget by say 10 to 12k you can buy yourself an exceptional vehicle that dosent need any money spent on it, where you can sit back turn the key and enjoy the ride. This i personally believe is a much better option for those who are not mechanicaly minded and want a vehicle without the hassels of having to rebuild things.
By the way my C4 1989 corvette convertable is on the market you can check it out in the corvettes for sale section of the forum.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 10:42:25 PM »
Buy a C4.
Your bones will appreciate it. Lighter ,more interior space,  better handling stock,a cargo compartment you can access,a engine bay you can work in, more stock Hp than late 70's C3s, better fuel economy, all alum suspension and cheaper entry level price now that C3s are collector items.the only thing missing is the classic look.
If you have problems with the electronics can always convert back to the OLD technology carb setup the C3 s have.
2 wires; one to the coil and one to the starter.

See  if this one is still for sale, excellent car with neg price.

http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2706

Offline bradmart

• Two Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »
Thats the one I'm looking at buying    ;41. Would want to clean up the interior a bit, but otherwise seems really good! 2 other things holding me back on it - 1 a general converted C4 problem - the driving position, and 2 mileage. Anyway, thanks guys - still interested in hearing from anyone that has fixed up carpets, dash, leather etc.

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 07:24:30 AM »
carpet are easy i re-did mine at home(Sewing machines have an accelerator pedal yeeeeeehaaaaaaa) it was a lot easier than you would think
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline bradmart

• Two Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »
Will see you all next week maybe at the CC show - I think i need to come have a look at all your cars so I know what I'm comparing with  :v  Have 4 cars I need to go check out now - 3 coupes and a convertible.

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 09:06:32 PM »
Bradinho.Please  wait  for  the  convention ,we  have a  white  86  body  kit  convertible,new  interior,billet  rims  will  be  on  display  at  our  stand  hopefully  if  all  things  go  to  order.Left  hand  drive  at  the  moment  but  can  arrange  conversion  by  one  of  the  best  conversion  guys  of  C4's  in  australia.He  did  mine  and  it  is  PERFECT

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 09:22:46 PM »
Johnnyholmes.86convert,

I didnt know that anyone was RAWS approved to do a C4's in australia. "I must be wrong.!"

Out of curiosity, whos the guy that you know that can do the C4, cause i would be keen to know as i would love to bring in a 92 ZR1 into the country.

M;36

Offline jolinari

• Supercharged
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »
Originally posted by 69VETTE
Johnnyholmes.86convert,

I didnt know that anyone was RAWS approved to do a C4's in australia. "I must be wrong.!"

Out of curiosity, whos the guy that you know that can do the C4, cause i would be keen to know as i would love to bring in a 92 ZR1 into the country.

M;36

Lotus admire! r u?;41

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 09:21:26 AM »
69vette. Greg  Morris  from  Corvette  connection  at  Bankstown  can  do  all  C1,C2,C3s  and  C4s  up  to  1988  he  also  does  F350  big  buggers  too  at the  moment,there  so  wide  they  have to  take  the  rear  flares  off to  fit  in  the  container.As  for  ZR1  I  believe  no  one  in  the  country  can  do  those!!!:<>

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 07:12:57 PM »
Hey Johnnyholmes...thanx buddy.

If your comming to the vette convention, i would like to catchup withyou for a chat...  

Michael

Offline johnny86convert

• Four Barrel
First timer - C4 or C3??
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 08:11:16 AM »
OK  MIchael  catch  up  at  the  convention  mate