Author Topic: Air Bag suspension on '78?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Air Bag suspension on '78?
« on: December 31, 2005, 02:33:55 PM »
Ok I did a search for "air bags" in these forums and mostly came up with references to boobs, so i'm wondering if anyone has successfully put air bag suspension in their vette? I would love to lower mine but hate the clearance issues associated. having the bodykit and sidepipes really make it look like it should sit half a centimeter off the ground, and air bags were the most obvious solution. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated :)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:39:17 AM »
anybody? hello? echo... echo.... echo... man this place is deserted. well, every other section, except for the top 3 forums, is deserted.

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »
I've thought about it but with side pipes they'll probably hit? The other problem is I dont think anyone makes kits for vettes so you'd have to engineer a kit? But hey give it a go!!!!! It would look cool with some big wheels! also you may have to flare the guards, wheel will probably hit when lowered?
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 09:00:30 AM »
If you had to engineer your own kit i would probably just put it in the "to hard" basket and just simply lower it and learn to drive it accordingly.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:10:53 AM »
hmm, lowering could cause some serious issues with pipes, bodykit sections, etc, in the wrong circumstances. so the challenge is to find someone that actually makes a kit for the vette... wonder if any other kits can be adapted. I know with the datsun zed cars there is a book that contains all of the other branded parts (like toyota hilux brakes calipers) that fit on zeds either straight up or with minor modifications, does such a book exist for the vettes? that would help plenty. otherwise what other options would exist? lower the car permanently but install some sort of switched hydraulic levers (ones that sit between the axles and the body/chassis) that push the front and back up just long enough to get over gutters, speed bumps, etc. and then return to normal...? :)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »
did some web searching, seems to be a difficult project idea... i checked the www.ridetech.com and they don't do anything for it, it seems that the problem is suffered by many vette drivers yet there isn't much done about it? even the air bag companies put it in the "too hard" basket...?

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 01:29:49 PM »
With Vettes being unpopular as the type of vehicle to get the airbag treatment or the mods that go with it, it is unlikely that anyone makes a kit.

Your best bet locally would be to try one of the companies that do airbags for minitrucks locally.

Airbags are not a mod I'd go for (it's a handling thing) but I certainly wouldn't be put off by someone saying it is too hard - I hear that all too often regarding Corvettes. :an  Unfortunately the thing that often comes after the "too hard" comment is often a nice big bill. :ado
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 02:55:02 PM »
yeah, that last bit is the main part i'm worried about. anything's really possible, it just depends how much you wanna pay... :(
i realise the handling would be impaired, though i'm not buying the car for it to be an amazing handler (i've heard that the older yankee cars go fast in a straight line, but aren't so quick to turn or stop!), if it means i save money on repairing cracked spoilers, pipes, etc, then i'm all for it.

i might do some asking around and see if anyone i know has any ideas about airbags, see if i can find a mate of a mate that can hellp out :)

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:20:56 PM »
I just think it would be cool to drive somewhere and just park the car on it's framerails (so to speak).  Used to know a guy years ago with a sweet 55 Chevy who got airbags just for that reason. :v
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 11:28:43 PM »
wouldn't you have too find a place for the compressor??  It is hard enough trying to fit an overnight bag in a C3!  ;-)

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 12:24:31 AM »
If you have a look at a typical air bag suspension you'll see that the air bag itself needs quite a bit of space. It needs as much space as a typical coil spring. While you might be able to adapt something for the front of a C3 the problem would really be the rear. After you have removed the transverse leaf spring the only place you could mount the air bag is where the rear shocks are mounted and really there is not enough space for them to fit remembering also that as the air bags deflate their diameter increases making the situation even worse. The only way to fix it is to re-engineer the whole rear end so as that the air bags could fit.
So unless you've got the bucks for that nice big bill i would still put it in the "to hard" basket.;--
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 09:31:42 AM »
77CVT - well it's a 78 so it's got the big boot. even with my sub install i should have plenty of room

MADVET - yeah see your point there. i heard that the read end would be the challenge in the project.
So what do people think of my other idea? anyone know of anything similar that's been attempted? (as in, the hydraulics/pneumatics to force the chassis off the axles, just long enough to get over gutters or speed bumps etc). Would it physically be possible?

Offline MADVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »
You could try doing the air bag to the front only as it would probably give you enough clearance to get over most things. I recall that the Lambo Diablo had a similar sort of system.
NOW WE'RE TORQUING!

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 11:23:51 AM »
ah yeah. that's definitely an idea. so is there a kit that might adapt? i know that they make them for other chevs of the same era...