Author Topic: V8 swap into '78 vette?  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
V8 swap into '78 vette?
« on: November 15, 2005, 09:18:34 AM »
Well my vette is soon to arrive (it should be in the country actually, i'm just trying to find it!) and I got to thinkin... now, I'm going to offend a whole swab of people by suggesting this but I DON'T CARE. but I am open to people's ideas on the matter.

Basically, I was wondering about swapping in a Lexus 4L v8 (1UZ) or Nissan 4.5L v8 (VH45) to replace the most likely worn and old 350 chev engine that currently sits under the hood (it's a mess under the hood, i'd need to clean it all up anyway). This would offer a number of advantages, for example the Nissan v8 is 270hp+ out of the box, quad cam, 4 valves per cylinder, more efficient, more economical, would probably take to an LPG conversion better than the original engine, would handle lots of tweaking to get heaps more power out of it (not sure if as much as the lexus engine, but certainly would handle a lot. Lexus engine is good for 600+hp with stock internals, running twin turbos or supers with an aftermarket ECU), would probably be cheaper to buy one of these in good nick and do it up than to stuff around and do up the 350, would take to either twin turbo's or twin supers... the list goes on :)

So is it possible? Has anyone attempted anything like this? am I being too sacreligious? :D

Interested to hear people's thoughts...

Matt