Author Topic: Nice yellow tho  (Read 12541 times)

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
    • http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~turon/photo/index.htm
Nice yellow tho
« on: October 28, 2002, 03:15:33 PM »
Well, my stock 305 is probably more to the end of its life than beginning. So I want to start thinking of putting another engine in, whilst keeping cost down. I was thinking of ever so slowly restoring another engine in my garage and some day swapping it over into the 1980 vette.

I'm not sure of which capacity to go for though. As a kid, I used to think bigger is better, and small blocks go up to 400ci. But reading some specs showed me that a 327 has a smaller stroke and larger bore than a 350 which would make it a higher reving "sporty" engine as opposed to a "torquey" towing engine.

Is this a fair assesment? What about the 383 and 400 motors, what are they good for? Does a 305 use the same block as a 350?

I'd LOVE to restore a big block and slot it in, but realisticly I want to keep my suspension, gearbox and diff etc. its a standard 350 auto box btw. Nor do I want registration hassles. So 300-350HP would be about it.

Also its pretty much a daily driver  so no racing cams and lumpy idles.

Thanks!

Adam
1980 LG4 stock 305 running LPG.

I'm a highway staaaaaarrrr...

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 07:03:29 PM »
Different blocks unfortunately.....305 can't be bored out to 350.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 10:06:51 AM »
You can do anything with a 350!  A 383 has a 400 crank (I think) which requires some machining so the crank will clear the block.  I think the 350 & 400 have the same bore but diff stroke.  383's are bulit for torque, but more torque increases the stress on the motor as well - it all depends on what you want (and how you bulid it).

What performance do you want?  A stop light hero or a higher speed racer?  If you nail it down to what you want there is still a minefield of different setups to achieve it.

A 350 with higher compression pistons, a decent cam (depends if it's an auto or a manual), aftermarket heads with a bit of valve work and a port matched dual plane intake, free flowing dual exhaust will make close to 300HP RWHP (so long as you rework the distributer curve and the carb is up to it).  With an auto trans you'll need a better torque converter.

It is a good idea to build one on the side.  I should have done that so I could have gotten rid of the dished pistons they came out with, although they are good for supercharging.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :evil

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 02:51:09 PM »
Here are some good sites to get you going!

http://www.newcovenant.com/speedcrafter/ - a good place to start
http://ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html - some good dynoed combinations
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page07.htm - good tech info

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 11:24:44 PM »
Agree with all that 77cvt says. The 350 motor is an excellent motor and I've heard of it being stroked as far as 427. Personally I wouldn't recommend that large a stroke, but it's been done.

Note that you can buy excellent crate motor's from the chevy catalogue already worked which in the long run can save you some cash. Ofcourse it "may" take the fun out of it if you are mechanical, competent and have the tools and inclination for this kind of project. Alternatively, if you are doing it yourself and need engine parts, contact American Auto parts in Homebush and my mate ....

Scott Cooper
Quantum Racing Industries
Unit 14 Pacific Chambers
3460 Pacific Highway
Springwood, QLD. 4127
Australia.

Tel:  +61 (7) 3290-5911

Tell 'im the rebel sent ya .... ;-)

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 06:10:36 PM »
great links 77cvt, looks like itll be easiest to takes somones combo and copy it.

When i was 10 I put together my first computer, putting an engine together is probably somthing I have to do. Well the boreing out somone else can do with a machine.
Crate motor sounds expensive....

I'm more of a stop light hero, but I kno no amount of work that I do will match my dads yamaha v-max anyway, so I know if I have a real need for speed, ill ride that.

I took a look under a few late model c3's at the show and it seems my pipes are fatter than all of them, suprising but at least I wont have to upgrade.
Adam

Adam

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 09:37:01 AM »
Ever heard the saying, "Build for torque and let horsepower take care of itself"?  

Like a computer, you have to make sure all the parts work together.  If you have the time and a couple of extra $$, getting things done like a line bore, the block decked, all parts balanced will make it last a long long time.  (Although with decking the block you could lose your engine No's)

And yeah, those mid 70's cat converters sure do have a habit of falling off! ;)

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 11:49:55 AM »
I have'nt heard of that saying actually, and im a little weary of it...
My uncles 351 Bronco was "made for torque", unfortunatly HP has'nt taken care of itself. 500Nm and 200HP. It may pull a huge boat, but not very quickly (not that youd want to I guess). But even with a moderate 1 ton trailer load, a Nissan 4.8 Patrol will beat it up any hill. Of course the nissan has 5 gears vs. 3.

But I digress, keeping in mind my 3 speed situation theres gotta be some balance that works, thats somones tried...

Although I'm not planning to tow regurlarly with the vette, the thought had crossed my mind, anyone know where I can get a tow bar kit for an 1980?

Adam

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 01:15:01 PM »
Good point.  I guess that saying means don't just go for the big HP because you need torque to get you going, especially with an auto.  

Don't forget torque includes considering the gearing!

As for a tow bar on a 'vette  ....:b4:b4:b4:b4  Leave that for the soilid axel cars!  :)

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 1970, 10:00:00 AM »
"As for a tow bar on a 'vette ....Leave that for the soilid axel cars!

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 09:53:36 PM »
towing with a vette ..... I don't know about solid axle vs IRS mechanicals but it ain't a good look my friend .. :b4

Besides, you'd have to cut the rear bumper somewhere around the licence plate which I personally, would be reluctant to do and it may also mean you'd have to raise the plate so it can be seen (as per bike racks for example) ... yeagggh!!!

Also, my Tickford owner's manual says DO NOT TOW so there may be something to this solid axle thing after all (perhaps even the diff - some research would be required there).

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2002, 10:06:01 AM »
Hey - it's your car and you should do as you please.

Rebel - it probably says "do not tow" because like most new Commodores and Falcons, the back end caves in because they are not built to tow any more.  A VN Commodore for eg. need braces in the boot area so the rear end doesn't cave in eventually!  :o:o

You shouldn't tow with 'vettes because the trailer slows you down when racing at the stop lights and the load gets twitchy at speeds of 100mph or more.  :P:P:P

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 09:21:07 PM »
White Rider, no offense intended my friend, it was my attempt at humour .... do with your car as you please ....

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 1970, 10:00:00 AM »
hmmmm? Did I miss somthing? I did'nt get offended...

Well certainly im not about to cut away panels, I just kno the vettes came with a towbar option from the factory. I'm not about to hook up 24 foot boat or anything:)

But I'm glad I'm learning this coz all I thought b4 was "hmmm v8, must be good for towing...

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2002, 05:34:02 PM »

Rebel: are you sure that when it said "do not tow" it was refering to your car towing and not your car being towed?

your humour's as bad as mine .... :b4

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2002, 09:51:44 AM »
Stop it....your killing me!!!!  ;laugh;laugh;laugh

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2002, 08:40:10 PM »
OK, now I think this is what you're talking about  ......

:22

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2002, 08:41:36 PM »

Offline Adam

• Four Barrel
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2002, 12:21:23 AM »
Yea yea, u guys just wait till i get my 305ci niki...with sidepipes!

Like this guy:
niki sidepipes

As for the 4wd conversion... i would've just got a Lada Niva personally...

Adam

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Nice yellow tho
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2002, 09:52:27 AM »
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!  ;laugh;laugh;laugh ....it's just getting better! ;laugh;laugh;laugh