Author Topic: KILLER TAX  (Read 10852 times)

Offline bud2

KILLER TAX
« on: September 01, 2005, 11:59:48 AM »
G'day Guys (and of course Gals)

My name is Bud and live in sunny Warrnambool, Vic.  I'm trying to feel my way around the Corvette world here in Aust.  So please just bare with me and my unfamiliar ways.  I have a question I wanted to put to the Club in general but decided to put it out in the forum.

My question is this.  I'm going to import a 64 coupe in the near future from USA.  I'm looking to contact someone that I can trust to import the beast.  Also would like to talk to someone about the Killer Tax (GST) which is applicable.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.
Bye,
Bud2

Offline GAS.455

• Two Barrel
KILLER TAX
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »
You can try Dave at Pontiworld 02 4257 1230 or Geoff at American Muscle Cars & Parts 02 6231 1522.

They could both help you out. Dave is in Woolongong and Geoff is in Canberra...but I don't think that it would be a prob to get it to you in Vic.

Gas
Smoke Em if you got em

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
KILLER TAX
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 01:34:43 PM »
If you want help - Email me and I'll be happy to help.
<click here to email me>

Offline MJ427

• Tri Powered
KILLER TAX
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
Originally posted by GAS.455
You can try Dave at Pontiworld 02 4257 1230 or Geoff at American Muscle Cars & Parts 02 6231 1522.

They could both help you out. Dave is in Woolongong and Geoff is in Canberra...but I don't think that it would be a prob to get it to you in Vic.

Gas

i personally know dave and geoff and would trust them with  taken care of bringing a car in for me and they wont do the wrongthing by u

Offline ozvette

• Four Barrel
KILLER TAX
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »
Another possibility is Corvette Clinic - (03) 9467 7371 - located in Melbourne

Or head over to Melbourne on the 8th of this month and come to the Corvettes of Melbourne club meeting - lots of people who have done it all before ;35

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
KILLER TAX
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:10:37 PM »
I bought and imported my C4 last year ... and posted my experience here.... cheers... daniel42au

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au/

Offline bud2

KILLER TAX
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 10:34:12 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'll continue making phone calls and let you know how I got along.  I'm still not real comfortable on a few issues - ie insurance, GST, the term "full service" or "all up fees".  I have time, so I'll take it.
Bye,
Bud2

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
KILLER TAX
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 07:23:42 PM »
Bud.. probably .. one car is easier done by you finding as the other guys just said a trustworthy person/proffessional importer... .
  In my situation.. we (Ponti-World) have slowed down on importing full cars into NSW ..not stopped forever.. but slowed it down..... its becoming a major-major headache compared to just say 5 years back.. with real costs esculating and more and more stringent rules applying..

.. Have a look at the web site www.usgmsp.com  if you wish... on the opening page we have a run down on some simple advice about importing.. ..some do's and don't's.. and really.. & I DO NOT GIVE A DAM ABOUT SELLING YOU SOMETHING .. there is NO profit motive here.. don't want or need your money that badly..  

BUT.. BUT.. ...I would  advise you to be EXTREMELY .. EXTREMELY carefull  in handing money over up front for future services...  to ANYONE.. .. more then the possible safe internal transport costs and maybe a few hundred for a bond etc..  
     It occurs to me to remember .. (IMO) .. if an importer needs YOUR money to import the car.. they're most likely not financially secure.......
   ... there are a few sharks around currently wanting money up front...... mostly fully paid.. then go off for a holiday on you.. and start off with reasons for delays etc..  Just be carefull.

If  you want personal questions answered.. email me too (dave@usgmsp.com)  one on one.. no cost, I'm not interested in your money.. but like many of the guys here on this forum...  if you need the help yell.  Personal experience wise.. we have been running  about 16 years straight, been to the USA now 50 times.... and about 42 constainers, about 120 cars, probably a couple of thousand air freight shipments... & I can assure you not everything goes perfect but experience and HONESTLY helps ALOT..

WHATEVER YOU DO.. WHATEVER YOU PAY.. DO NOT FOLLOW ANY (lets say...) "CASUAL ADVICE" YOU MAY GET THAT ENCOURAGES YOU TO DODGE TAX, writting your own invoices, underestimating purchase price paid etc........ Australian Customs are normally pretty good & do back you when your right...... BUT.. NOT ANYWHERE NEAR  as stupid as some stupid people  think. People who have been caught will normally not broadcast that they are bloody idiots...

Tax's are the least of your problems with that year model.. be MUCH more concerned about the safe handling of the 64 Vette...

Offline Panther

• Four Barrel
  • Car: Custom C5
KILLER TAX
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 07:56:49 AM »
after a lot of hassle and sacking my importer I ended up using Jarwil International to complete shipping, you can't as posted last get out of paying your dues, happy to chat about how we did our and why, call me if you wish (M) 0412 261 210 Kim

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
KILLER TAX
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 08:47:44 PM »
it aint only the GST that you have to be wary of .....

have a look at my site in respect to Thelma....

www.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au

it documents my import of an 87 convertible... from that you can see the "REAL" cost of doing an personal import....

good luck....   :-)

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
KILLER TAX
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 09:28:40 PM »
did lots of phoning around to get my car shipped into Aus ...still in bond store in LA waiting for Dave Clees container to be packed
found that there were a few people worth talking to
John Cain (newcastle)
Geoff Smith (canberra)
i chose to go with Dave as it will be shipped to Wollongong ,makes life a little easier for me now all i have to do is WAIT :(:(:(

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
KILLER TAX
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 09:24:53 PM »
I took a punt on RO/RO shipping and it was fine in my case. I had  insurance for US$14,500 with a US$500 excess, this cost US$362. The actual shipping costs were US$1,100, plus A$650 this end excluding GST 10%and quarantine washing charges of A$250. Do not forget that GST is payable on shipping costs. :drink
I found the company I used good although it was shipped via Japan as it came from the west coast USA. I looked at hiring a car trailer which was $100 a day plus I would have had to buy tie down straps, whereas a professional car carrier with proper wheel tie downs cost $140. ;30

Offline nifty

• Fuel Injected
KILLER TAX
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 11:00:42 PM »
dont know if its still relevent or you have your 64.already.but my mate  imports musclecars from usa.
www.americanmusclecars.com.au
he can bring in a car of your choice or he will find the car for you.price list on his web site.hes bringing in a big block 73 for a local buyer,and a very sweet 59 vette for a vic or nsw buyer,(i forget)
,he brings in a fair amount, and has even shipped to new zealand.regards nev

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
KILLER TAX
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »
interesting story bud,could you tune in and let us know how things are working out?;laugh;ay:grr:drink:an:22;50