Author Topic: steering Colomn rebuild  (Read 7107 times)

Offline cve77e1984

• Two Barrel
steering Colomn rebuild
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:55:13 PM »
Can any one give me some advice i am putting my steering column back together and i am stuck.
I can not get the retainer that gose in after the signal cam back in.
Ive tryed comressing the spring, but with no luck i fall about 3mm short. Is there some thing i may have over looked.
I only remove the parts required to change my ignition barrel.

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
steering Colomn rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:15:10 AM »
i know that the "u" shaped retainer is tapered so make sure it is around the right way.push the unit down with to large screw drivers and get someone else to side the retainer into place.you can do it by your self but it is not easy.
                     good luck
                       cheers boschvette
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline VET-005

• Four Barrel
steering Colomn rebuild
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:48:33 AM »
I did this job recently and i can tell you it was not fun. After all the colourful language and frustration of trying to do it my self i found the easiest way to be with two people. Now this is how i did it.
You need a set of pointy nose plires to hold the spring retainer clip and someone else to put this in when you bust your gut and hurt your fingers from compressing the spring down. Thats right use your fingers. Once you let out the scream that you have it down far enough you get the second person to put in the retainer clip with the pointy nose plires as there fingers will not fit in ther while you are holding the spring downand hence the use of the pointy nose plires.

Hope this helps,
Good luck and i hope your fingers are not to sensitive cuz they will be sore for a while after, but these are the things you must do if you love your vette.;27
Click Images For My Gallery

Offline 2 short

• Two Barrel
steering Colomn rebuild
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 01:33:35 PM »
I have made up a very crude GM tool no. 129853257, you now the one that assembles our steering column.
pushes down on the steel steering lock washer thing whilst you put the "C" clip back on. (one man job)
reply with a phone no. or something as i will more than likely be near Campbelltown Saturday, and drop it off.
Gary

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
steering Colomn rebuild
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:02:45 PM »
if your getting nowhere.. be SO carefull now..you can't do this on your own.. especially  the first few times.... as well you can start loosing bearings  and then end up with something worse then what you started with. These jobs are not easy for first timers or 2nd time efforts etc...
  If your getting nowhere.. locally contact james at Oak Flats Mechanical (aka stars & Stripes Mechanical)  on 4256 0001 and have him put i back together for you.... he may do it while you wait etc... and get the ignition switch and lock working in sinc etc. Just a thought.

Offline BrianVette

• Four Barrel
  • Treasurer
steering Colomn rebuild
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 09:06:27 PM »
Dave can you check your U2U for a message that I just sent

Offline cve77e1984

• Two Barrel
steering Colomn rebuild
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »
Thanks guys for your help
I had one last go tonight, now with very sore hands and a blood bilster that looks like another finger i got it in.
Ive checked every thing and all looks good and works.