Author Topic: these sponge-with-oil filters.....  (Read 4662 times)

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
these sponge-with-oil filters.....
« on: September 27, 2002, 08:09:49 PM »
OK, I've read about 'em, I've seen 'em, I like 'em (I think .. they look good anyway) .... but what's the deal here ? Can anybody tell me that these things actually do increase the horsepower at intake .... ? How do they do that and are they safe .. ? ie do they actually provide appropriate filtration .. ?

Firstly, the simple rule of thumb is ....

a) More air flow, less filtration
b) More Filtration, Less airflow ...

I like the fact that they are washable and re useable but has anyone actually used one on their C? with noticeable improvement ..... ?

Thanx ...

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 01:35:29 AM »
On C4's all the guys in the states say the give a few (literally I think) horsepower.  Personally, IF they do provide a gain I doubt it would be significant and worthwhile as far as power goes.

Having said that, I have one on my car...

If you hold an OE paper filter up to a light and then do the same with a K&N you will see more light coming through the K&N - that was my experience anyway (less filtration).

I justify it being on my car by telling myself that it will be some time before I have to buy a replacement filter (we won't mention that I have to buy  cleaner & oil kit - okay:D).

I thought about the merits of installing one and their value - then I just got one for the sake of it...

(My non-mechanic opinion) :)
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Topless89

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2002, 08:08:05 PM »
Just had my C4 in for a service with Bills car care in Marikville. Top bloke, great mechanic, very moderate per hour rates, owner of a convertable 88 C4 and a confirmed vette freak! His comment on the K&N is that after using a K&N for a while he can scoop dust out of the airduct near the throttle boby, so....he recommends you find your power increases elsewhere. ie exhaust modification and Diff ratios rather than risk the chance of increased and rapid internal wear.
Hope this helps. He is a chatty bloke if you want to call him. 02 9519 6445.
Highly recommended
:b4:b4

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 06:13:08 PM »
Hmmmm ... check this response from another forum

>Had an engine on dyno, ran engine with K&N and then with stock filter, same
power. George B.

Pretty direct bloke and not too talkative ol' George.

Anyway, from what I've read and seen here, I'd put the claim of increased HP from K&N in the same category as that from Octane Boosters, High performance fuel additives and Horny Goat Weed (how'd that get there) ..... great marketing and nothing more!! A bit of "the emperor's new clothes" I think where people tend to believe what everyone else says without thinking. Personally, I've tried them all (except K&N's) and haven't noticed anything to write to the post about ..... the emperor's naked people !!

Having said that, I might wear one at shows as I think they'd look good against my red paint but that's about it ...

Thanx for your responses ...

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 08:47:49 AM »
I suppose this is not the time to mention I have one for sale for a stock C3 air cleaner assembly!  :b4

Offline rebel

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 08:40:34 PM »
LOL :22:22

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 10:46:49 PM »
Gee, I'm glad I replied early:b2, now some of you who view this thread are probably thinking "He's using an inferior air filter on his motor...".

Oh well, she's staying on anyways... :D
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

foxoff

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 10:18:45 AM »
Many, Many years ago... (many) like around 1990, my dad was cheaking the sponge-with-oil filter on his 253 monaro (it was like a small triangular one, dunno the brand), as he lifted it off and tuned it upside down, there were CHUNKS of sponge missing from it, and u all know where they went!

All I'm saying it to cheak the filters integrity once in a while....

Adam