Author Topic: Lowering the Rear  (Read 5375 times)

Offline GAS.455

• Two Barrel
Lowering the Rear
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:22:35 AM »
I'm not ready to do it right now...gotta get the gearbox in first...

But with lowering the rear of a Vette(mines a '75) is there much involved?

I had Pedders lower the front 2 1/2" from memory..over 6 years ago.

Does the rear transverse leaf spring pose a problem?

Sitting at the computer right now I can't even remember what the rear looks like...

But I do know that there is way too much room between the tyre and the bottom lip of the guard.

Gas
Smoke Em if you got em

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Lowering the Rear
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:28:23 AM »
It's so easy it isn't funny!

All you need are longer bolts, the lower the spring ends are the lower the car sits.  I just went to the Bolt King and got some longer grade 8(?) bolts.  Cost me about $4

Jack up the spring to loosen the bolts.  Fix a "G" clamp (with some wood to protect the spring) to the spring to stop the jack from slipping, pull the old one out and slip the new one in.  Do the same for the other side.  Simple as that!

Measure the height difference between the outer end of your halfshaft to the inner.  The difference should be around 1/2 an inch (the inner must sit higher than the outer uni joint).

I drilled a hole at the end of the thread to insert a split pin for peace of mind.

Here's a link to an old post - Post 84

Cheers

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Lowering the Rear
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 02:51:46 AM »
Originally posted by 77CVT
It's so easy it isn't funny!

All you need are longer bolts, the lower the spring ends are the lower the car sits.  I just went to the Bolt King and got some longer grade 8(?) bolts.  Cost me about $4

Jack up the spring to loosen the bolts.  Fix a "G" clamp (with some wood to protect the spring) to the spring to stop the jack from slipping, pull the old one out and slip the new one in.  Do the same for the other side.  Simple as that!

Measure the height difference between the outer end of your halfshaft to the inner.  The difference should be around 1/2 an inch (the inner must sit higher than the outer uni joint).

I drilled a hole at the end of the thread to insert a split pin for peace of mind.

Here's a link to an old post - Post 84

Cheers

What he said. Just make sure that the bolts you fit aren't so long as to be the first thing to touch the deck in the event of a flat.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes