Author Topic: Converting the vette  (Read 19062 times)

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:04:08 PM »
Hi All,
I'm looking at bringing in a C3 from california, and my fiancee is adament that I get a newer styled one, so I've located a 1978 one that I like the look of. Do I need to convert it over? I really don't want to have to, since in 3 years it will be 30 years old and thus road registerable through normal registration. I'm having a reeeeally hard time finding out information, rta are bloody useless, I know I'm probably looking at some sort of club rego...? What cub restrictions exist in NSW Corvette club? I want to be able to drive it on weekends easily, I don't want to take it on long trips or anything, just cruise around Newcastle and the Hunter Valley vineyard areas and the like. Please help! I can't go ahead with anything till I can work out whether I can actually drive the thing now or not, I don't want to have to move to Perth to register it, or put it in storage for 3 years...
thanks

Matt

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Converting the vette
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:14:47 PM »
;32Why is your Fiancee so adement on a later model c3? You WILL have to change it to RHD or leave it for 3 years(*look at previous posts on this subject-they are numerous!).
Because of this You might as well go for a C4 (I didnt think I would ever say that!).
The prices of early C4's are cheaper than most C3's now with more comfort!. With conversions costing $10-15000+  it would make more sense to go with a 75 or earlier and spend the conversion money on a better 'earlier' C3!
 Also why not buy an already converted vette here in OZ,that way someone else has had to folk out (and waste) there money!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Converting the vette
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:28:50 PM »
Originally posted by 69 DIRTY RAT
Because of this You might as well go for a C4 (I didnt think I would ever say that!).

;eek You feeling okay 69DR?
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 05:24:59 PM »
haha, c4? what are you nuts? hehe. ok so some c4's look awesome, but they're not my cup of tea. She wants a later C3 because she just likes the shape more, I dunno, I can't explain it. I'd have any shape C3 to be honest, but since she's helping me out to buy it, I kind of have to keep her happy... :) that and, other reasons, I'm sure the guys understand.
Can't I drive it on club rego or something? I've found a bit of information on it, but i just wanted to clarify the whole situation. What if i were to register it in perth and then bring it back here, then take it back there to register it again each year for the next 3 years? :P i dunno... running out of ideas really. Reason for not getting one here, I don't have a mint to spend, I have found LHD ones here for the same amount I have found one for, and the one I have found is in much better condition. All the RHD ones I've found have been out of my price bracket (for example, a white RHD one that was at the Kurri hot rod show last weekend, they want $30k for it and it wasn't amazing... no offense if that person is in here reading :) ). So yeah, that's my predicament.

Matt

MJ355

Converting the vette
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »
even on club rego it has to be over 30 years old i am not sure about canberra i think u can reester them there if they are over 15 years old but i think that is for the first 18 months only not tottaly sure on that though i have just heard it on the grape vine but worth a clook into it
(POLO-FLASH) can u help us on that do u know about rego in ACT

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:30:19 PM »
Hmm, sounds like an interesting way to do it. I'm keen to hear whether that's right, I might scan around online and have a look...

Matt

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Converting the vette
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 09:01:57 PM »
Don't know about NSW, but down here in Vic you can get full LHD registration at 30 years or a club permit at 25 years.
The permit is very restrictive.  You can only drive it on an official (with supporting documentation) club run or to and from a mechanical workshop.  If you don't obey those restrictions it's counted as a strike against the club.  If the club receives a total of 3 strikes they loose the right to have any permits.  So all club members on permits loose them.
If you were really keen you could look into becoming an LMCT and then apply for a trade plate, which allows you to drive any unregistered (LHD) vehicle.  However, restriction still apply in this case as well.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 11:08:02 PM »
Hi, thanks all for the replies... Not sure if it's going to be a promising venture but I appreciate the help all the same.
Trade plates could get kinda messy, not sure how one would obtain them though I know lots of people that know lots of other people and I'm sure I can find out easily enough.
ahh the joys of cars...

Matt

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
Converting the vette
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »
Originally posted by Mattrix
 a white RHD one that was at the Kurri hot rod show last weekend, they want $30k for it and it wasn't amazing...

Thats a fairly correct price! You can get cheapper but they would be worse condition OR more expensive you get a better car!
If you buy one in the states in similar condition, you would probably pay around $10000us = close to $30000 OZ by the time you get it here/rego/convert!!!!!!
68-72 Chrome bumpers are the coolist C3! especially Big Blocks or in my case MASSIVE BLOCK

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 04:18:55 PM »
Massive block, haha love it :)
Yeah, converting is an issue I wanted to avoid. From what I can gather if I pick one up in the states for 10000US, with the exchange rate (= about 12600AUD), shipping (I have found shipping for 1250US from LA and 850AUD for port charges and all the stuff that goes on there), duty (if younger than 30 years) of 5% (apparently it's been 5% for a couple of months now, as opposed to 10), GST of 10% = about 17k. Then with things I need to do to it to get it through rego and then to register it, looking at about 18-19k, which is about my limit. Hence why it seemed so much more appealing to bring one over than to get one here. I've found some nice ones in the US for around the 10 mark, though still trying to decide exactly what I want, and whether i'm going to get it over here smoothly.

Matt

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
Converting the vette
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 10:12:48 PM »
Here's a cheap '78 for sale in NSW.

MJ355

Converting the vette
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 10:19:10 PM »
thats a good buy

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 09:58:58 AM »
that's pretty good yeah. I'd get that, except i'm not looking for a project, or that should read, ANOTHER project. At the moment I drive a 280zx. I have a 280zx off the road that I am slowly restoring, putting in a bored l28et (or possibly supercharged, haven't decided yet). AND I have a 1940 vauxhall that i have under covers until I can work out exactly what i want to do with it and exactly how to do that.
what can I say, i like cars. I'm just another male. :) That and the fact I share an office with an older guy who's an absolute car nut, which doesn't help.
The one I am looking at is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537055167
I can't go past it, it's one of those "get ya horny" kind of cars. I know it would need a little bit of attention but for the price, and the whole idea of the car, I just love it. Normally I like the stock as a rock cars, but for this one I'd gladly make an acception!

Matt

MJ355

Converting the vette
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »
it looks nice

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 11:28:29 PM »
yeah, is very nice. As always there are things to do but as I said I can't go past it. If you love someone, you will wait for them... if you love a car, i guess you would wait for it right? :)
just purely hypothetical, how do they track year of manufacture of imported cars? I imagine they're pretty tight about it...

Matt

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 09:53:55 PM »
well I did a crazy thing, I put a deposit on that car. And it looks like I'm going to america for a few months in about 4 weeks time, so I'll probably drive it for a while over there (i'm getting free rego and i don't have to pay sales tax!) and then bring it back.
which leads me to... private importing. How long do i need to own it and drive it over there before I can call it a private import, and does this save me GST + Duty or...?

Matt

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
Converting the vette
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 12:47:20 AM »
I think its about 18 months living there & rego proof from DMV (RTA) !! so unless you live in New Zealand where its only 1 month then you will still have to pay GST & Duty (duty??).
 Mattrix....while your over there get as much done to it as possible (if it needs it),cause  they have the experience to do repairs properly,and its cheaper for parts cause you dont have to pay for export & GST.

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 09:42:49 AM »
very true, thanks for the advice. Will see what I can do.
18 months, crazy. I'll look into it some more. Won't be able to register it until 2008 so I don't mind keeping it there for longer if I have to...

Matt

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 11:59:31 AM »
.. there is a note on the BENCH RACING section of the Camaro-Firebird.org site this morning relating to a special government study permit for LHD cars... .. might be worth acting on if you very  very quick....

Offline Mattrix

• Four Barrel
Converting the vette
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 12:37:42 PM »
Nice one :P
it's called an April Fools joke. Though I did get quite excited about it. never mind then...

Matt