Author Topic: Duty  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
    • http://xtremecarzone.com.au/
Duty
« on: March 06, 2005, 01:24:25 PM »
Hi guys.  I read in the club mag. that import duty will no longer be charged on new parts shipped in from the USA.  When did this happen?  Can any body shed some more light on this for me?  I've got some parts coming in from Ecklers and  in view of this change in import, I might have a few more dollars to play with. ;40

Scrole down for update on my post.  Cameron 77C3 11/03/05
To see my picture galleryCLICK ME

Never underestimate PRISCILLA queen of the vette's
www.xcz.com.au

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
Duty
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 09:48:42 PM »
I have not heard that, I have heard the Import amount was changed to $500 AUD from $250 before paying duty.

they did say most dutys would terminate after time, check with customs as if the parts are made in the US
they should be duty Free

Hope this helps
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition

Offline Panther

• Four Barrel
  • Car: Custom C5
Duty
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 07:54:32 AM »
Not a chance, duty will never disapear, and you pay duty from $100, if the duty to collect is less than $50 than it is often not worth the paper work, but that depends on the person, checking the shipment on the day, new parts remain at 15% plus freight and good old GST on the whole amount, while ever the goverment makes money out of us suckers who own US built cars we will pay
Sorry to blow this subject to bits, well not really, its just the way it is

Offline 69 DIRTY RAT

• Supercharged
    • http://www.ratpackmuscle.com/
Duty
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:42:14 PM »
Yes Panther is right.I have imported a lot of parts lately. Parts for 30 years & older are still 3% duty, engine parts 10% duty, then GST on top!!.YES we still get ripped off big time , with no reason for it!
http://ratpackmuscle.com/ SCARY TOUGH MUSCLECARS

69 540ci, 755HP 734FtLb RAT, 629rwhp

*I LUV MY '69 ZL-1 540ci VETTE, AND SO DOES YOUR GIRLFRIEND!                   

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Duty
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 07:05:09 PM »
So tell me.  What is meant by the bit on page 7 in this months, March, issue of our magazine, General Business, second last sentence where it says and I quote " 'M.F' [our stock Controller] told the club that duty has been removed on any parts imported from the states"

I'm a little confused.  Which is not hard to do for me. :23

www.xcz.com.au

Offline Panther

• Four Barrel
  • Car: Custom C5
Duty
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 07:47:39 AM »
being confused with changing imports laws is not hard, maybe some people just make statemants, without backup documents, you know the story told is interperated by each person different, bit like the fish that got away:(:(:evil

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Duty
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 10:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by Panther
being confused with changing imports laws is not hard, maybe some people just make statemants, without backup documents, you know the story told is interperated by each person different, bit like the fish that got away:(:(:evil

Got ya. Thanks

www.xcz.com.au

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Duty
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »
... you WISH.. I wish.. .. Different products also had a differing time of tarrif reduction in line with the US/Australia FTA.
  As correctly "corrected" here.. so many people thought it was a free for all.. NUH.. variable tax and duty still stays..

...AND.. be carefull... most of the parts we buy out of the USA these days.. probably a good 50% .. are NOT MADE IN THE USA.. .
   Hence.. if not made in the USA.. no FTA concession exists.. and its up to the individual to comply and produce evidence if needed. Currently Customs IS checking compliance with FTA concession requests.. they are with us.. and have been on and off for 2 months.
   We also Produce parts.. and send them TO the USA.. the FTA has helped there.. but if your looking a 99% of say GM Electronics.. most are made in Taiwan, Mexico or Canada.. as the NAFTA was ratified back around 96.. so now SO MANY companies like Delco/Ford/Chrysler.. have moved to the other side of the borders - mainly south.
    There is concessions for examplied 30 year + components, but again.. these MUST be shown on the invoices as 30year s plus.   ..
   But ..in the end.. tax is minimal.. your probably beening ripped a bit on various frieght charges or overpacking /cubic costs.. without warranties easy to access etc..but thats the joy we all share when importing etc.

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Duty
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
Clear as mud.  The hell with it.  I'll just keep ordering untill I run out of money.  "Oh what's that honey.  I ran out 3 months ago and I've been spending yours...."  Well in that case, I'll just keep spending. [this will get back]
 Thanks for the input guys.

www.xcz.com.au

MJ355

Duty
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 06:41:13 PM »
;41;41

Offline Cameron 77C3

• Supercharged
  • I use to live here
Duty
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 08:43:17 PM »
Well guys and girls.

I got my last lot of goodies from Ecklers via Bax Global/customes today and NO inport duty EXCEPT for the electric window motors as they were made/assembled in MEXICO.  And the import on them was only 5%.

I've got a great contact in Bax Globe now, who Ecklers use for shipping the heavier goodies, mine weighed 16 kilos, and he was so helpfull on the phone explaing the duties to me, well on the parts I bought.

As long as it is MADE in the USA there is no duty .. Some electrical items may have 5% but nothing on items to do with ignition or starter motor.

Now I will stand corrected on this but I got the paper work from Bax Global/customes that show NOOOO duty, on MY goods and I bought everthing from window regulators to gaskets to sill seals to clips, brackets, etc.

Wooooo Hoooooo!  Ozpont you nailed it well

www.xcz.com.au

Offline c5vette

• Four Barrel
    • www.mrpinball.com.au
Duty
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 09:43:12 PM »
As I said in my Post Made in USA Duty Free
2020 C8 Z51 Sebring Orange Stingray, Launch Edition