Author Topic: Adj fuel pressure regulator  (Read 5858 times)

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Adj fuel pressure regulator
« on: March 04, 2005, 10:35:09 PM »
I have an '85 and want to install an AFPR. I notice the stock torx bolts have a "pin" in the centre not allowing me to use a normal torx bit. I have a replacement cap with an adjustable diaphram instead of a complete unit.

Do I need a special tool to remove the bolts so I can replace the cap with an adjustable one? If so can I adapt something to make it fit?

Has anyone replaced the cap without removing the plenum?

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 01:50:58 AM »
77, the bit you need is a "security" torx bit (or something like that) it is basically a normal torx bit with a small indentation in the centre to fit over the nipple in the centre of the screw.

I don't see how you could change the regulator without removingthe plenum from memory (been a while since I changed a regulator).

I have usually replaced regulators with the rail off the car but from memory it should be possible if you loosen the runners at their base where they connect to the manifold so they have some play in them and then remove the plenum itself.

At any rate, once you get that far it isn't that big a deal to remove the rest of the stuff if you need to...

Lastly, depending on the adjustable regulator you have you may need to clearance the underside of the plenum to allow it to fit.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 11:57:49 AM »
Thanks.

I don't have the full regulator, just the cap.  I'll try and find a small bit & drill a slight hole.  I will end up taking the plenum off as that will certainly limit the swearing.

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 04:59:07 PM »
If you go to Bunnings they have a 33pce Security Bit Set for around $24. I bought a set yesterday. It's made by Kingcrome. Hope this is some help.:b2:b2:b2
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.