Author Topic: A/C 1980 C3  (Read 3075 times)

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1980 C3
A/C 1980 C3
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
I’d like to rebuild a/c in my 1980, needs a few bits, compressor,condenser,evaporator and a receiver/dryer, few hoses etc. has anyone out there got anything in good nick that I might be interested in.
Many thanks.
George

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: A/C 1980 C3
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:34:15 PM »
Use a sanden 508 compressor with early C3 A4 brackets,(easier to mount than factory brackets for 80) dryer, condenser and evaporator, orifice valve are readily available new ex USA have a look at Rock Auto for these parts good price and post, get the hoses made to suit locally by ac guy.

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 07:56:37 AM »
Thanks for reply’s but now have decided to scrap all components, they are all Unservicable and I have decided to go with the Vintage Air kit that suits this model Corvette

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 08:03:42 PM »
Double check they have a control to suit 80 model years ago they only had a control up to about 76 model. Vintage air is also only recirc there is no fresh air mode

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 09:31:50 PM »
Thanks again, I’ll do a bit of further checking tomorrow. I was advised that a full kit is now avail for 77-82, has been for awhile I think. Don’t know about the fresh air bit but I’ll do a bit of checking tomorrow. Let me know if you have any more on this subject. I’ve started pulling everything out.

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »
 Got in touch with vintage Sales this morning sirfixalot USA, and your right re the recirculating air, as far as kit goes they now do one for my model Corvette.
I’m still talking to them re other matters but I think I will go ahead and order.
I’m advised it will take a number of months to land here in Aus
Thanks again

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 08:42:33 AM »
Take your time taking everything out there are a couple of bolts which hold inner to outer halves of heater, ac box which are a bit of a challenge. Someone will be looking for the parts that you don't need. Seal the ends of parts to save ingress of dirt or moisture.

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 11:13:34 AM »
Thanks for info. Ordered kit from Retro spares in Melbourne this morning

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 11:49:39 AM »
Spoke to person that fitted one to Mustang, he said he changed something or other to allow a bit of fresh air to come in but he said it was more suitable to open the little quarter windows which of course the Vet doesn’t have. He did something when fitting the Kit?? but said it wasn’t successful. I don’t think I’ll muck around with it. Long way off yet of course, Vintage make the kits to order, 16 weeks approx, then time a container to get it here. “It won’t be here for this summer” that won’t worry me too much because look at the weather we’re having, be nice to have it in for next year.

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 12:15:00 PM »
sirfixalot, I was advised to insulate the car as much as possible before kit goes in, new carpets are being fitted so I was going to use a heap of Dynamat anyway. Is it necessary to do inside door panels and and what if any do you consider a better product. I was considering putting two layers of Dynamat where possible?

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 09:44:22 PM »
i have a high-density foam with foil in my c3.   C4  I used a similar adhesive similar to dynamat, and also high density foam also fabricated aluminium panels to fit under floor, up toe board and into trans tunnel. Secret is to insulate high up on firewall and also block and seal all holes in firewall

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
Interesting,I take it that the foam and foil will still fit under the carpet without any bother, how thick is the foam you used in the c3?

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 07:13:32 PM »
I had to re-read, but you said rec/drier, and for some reason GM went backwards to a P.O.A system with Expansion Valve.
My 78 has a factory CCOT system whilst my 87 & 90 also have CCOT. (C4)

Expansion valves or at least externally adjustable ones allowed you to set the temp of air out of the vents, whilst CCOT  rely on mixing hot & cold air for the desired effect. Both systems have their devotee's.

As Sirfixalot says, you must ensure no holes in the fire wall. As soon as the car gains forward motion, a reduced air pressure or partial vacumm is created within the cabin, which will suck the red hot engine bay air directly into the cabin and you will then complain like many corvette owners before you, that Corvettes are mongrel hot cars to drive.

STD from the factory they are insulated, underfelted and carpeted. There are also sneaky bits of closed cell foam blocks & strips that seal around the radiator, the transmission to trans tunnel gap etc. Once your A/C is running and the car sealed you will be driving a cool quality muscle car and enjoying it.

I used similar material to Sirfixalot, a thin insulate with al-foil backing, self adhesive with peal off backing, easy to use, cut and shape and mold around everthing. When I first did my 78, I sealed 30 odd firewall holes (fglass epoxy), then did the insulation, underfelt and carpet, the car transformed overnight, restoring the A/C was the icing on the cake, no more foggy screens etc.

P.S some early Comodore (VB ~ V?) Parts like the Dash controll are either direct replacements or have similar parts.

Cheers.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 08:01:59 PM »
Vet tech, thanks for your reply. I’m “refurbishing” the 80 bit by bit slowly as finance allows. Suspension and most Mechanics have been seen to, windows are being done and full set of new carpet arrived yesterday. I’m still deciding what insulation (sound and heat deadner) to put underneath the carpet. I was thinking of Superlight Dynamat, self adhesive, for sound and one layer on top of that of Reflectix for the heat. Holes etc in the firewall is certainly on my list.
I am thinking that the thin insulate that you and Sirfixalot used would be similar to the superlight dynamat, easy to work with and self adhesive?
I’ll keep you informed as how things turn out. I’m still going with the Vintage Air con. Kit, started removing the old, non working factory air.
Open to all suggestions, Cheers.

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 11:09:16 AM »
Vettech what’s your opinion of the “light”   Insulation that I was considering using on my 80? Do you consider that there might be something as good as or better avail in Aus.that I could use. I want something self adhesive and very plyable that I can fold around arwkward places all through car. I want to concentrate on complete floor, doors and firewall doubling up on firewall and tranny’ tunnel. As you might have worked out this is my first Vett and never having to insulate any classic vehicle before, I like to ask more experienced persons such as you and others,(sirfixalot),for there valued opinions and suggestions
Regards.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2022, 07:34:14 PM »
If you send me a DM with your phone no will send you some pics of my C4 which I have recently finished

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2022, 07:56:13 PM »
Thanks, but don’t quite know how to DM

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 04:58:40 PM »
Sorry 4 V delay. But finally got into garage and could find only the underfelt which has a alli foil backing & is ~10-13mm thick.
Has no labels, but im pretty sure I got it at Pep's at W'park.

Could find none of the (I think Dynamat) but im sure it was the same as Sirfixalot.

The tunnel gets hot, so you need to (esp on C3) check the seals are in place, this heavy closed cell foam can be obtained from Clark Rubber. Or from ZIP or Corvette Central made to measure as a kit. I tried making but as I removed the existing seals they crumbled to dust.

Best of luck.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 05:35:16 PM »
Click on small box next to person on the left of my post for DM

Offline blackleroy44

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 08:02:35 PM »
Vettech, I ordered bulk pack of Dynamat and Dynamat door kit today(hope it’s enough). My intentions are to start off with a rubberised undercoat, Dynamat and then a heat “deadner” such as Reflectix over the Dynamat. I intend to spray the wheel wells with the undercoat and any other place that might help with heat and noise. The firewall is a concern but I’ll sort that out, there’s not a lot of room. In yours and sirfixalot experience,will the Dynamat stick ok to the undercoat?