Author Topic: fan motor costing (also)  (Read 8495 times)

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« on: November 08, 2004, 06:50:19 PM »
G'day, I'm new to this forum so I hope what I'm doing is right. I have a 88model and have had it for about 4 months. I would like to know the operating temp. for the engine, every thing is working fine, I would just like to know how hot is too hot. Also, the other problem I have is on two occasions I've tried to start it , all the lights on the dash light up but all is dead, not even a clicking sound from the soleniod. If I disconnect the battery for a short time when reconnect the car starts, I've know they have a security device fitted and I believe this is my problem. How do I fix this? Instead of rebooting the system by battery disconnection.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v290/ThunderKiss/
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 07:54:27 PM »
Hi corman, welcome to the forum.

1. Operating temp : my car got up to 109 celsius before the fans came on, so I would call that normal.  I have now had a 180 degree fahrenheit thermostat and a lower temp fan switch fitted.  Now it doesn't go over 90c.  If yours goes over 115c I'd get it looked at.

2. Starting problem :  This is your Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) playing up.  Your ingnition key has a small pellet in it with a specific resistance.  As you place the key in the ignition, probes in the ignition barrel measure the resistance.  If the resistance of the key matches the resistance value in the VATS computer your car starts.  Over time these probes wear out (or get dirty) which causes them to read a slightly different resistance, therefore your car wont start.
The fix : a) Clean the key and try cleaning inside the ignition barrel as best you can.
b) if that doesn't work, either get a VATS Override or a new ignition barrel and key.  Before ordering these you will need to measure (using a multi-meter) the resistance of your keys so that you order the correct parts your existing VATS computer can recognise.

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:14:40 PM »
Thanks Thunderkiss, I'll look at that key and check the system out. With the temp. I recently went to Sydney and the main fan stopped working, so it was a sweaty palm trip to the freeway from Campbelltown on a Saturday night to keep the air flow going through the radiator. The hottest it got to was 111 degree c , once on the freeway it sat on 75 degree all the way home,(port macquarie). The fan motor cost me 260 bucks, and all is well again.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 09:54:44 AM »
I have the opposite problem - mine runs too cold!  My average temp is 68 deg on h'way, 75-80 around town.  It actually got to 54 deg late at night coming back from Bathurst!  Most of the time on the h'way the thermostat isn't even open (160 deg).

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 10:12:24 AM »
Hi 77CVT, Maybe you need to check that the right thermostat is installed, sounds like it may be the wrong one, or maybe it could be stuck open.         Hey Thunderkiss, where do I find out about the VAT Override, I had a relay installed which was suppose to override the timer on the ignition, you know  the one which makes you wait 4 mins before restarting, but it dosen't seem to be working.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 02:35:09 PM »
Temps used to be around the 80-85 deg mark before I rebuilt the engine.  Ever since the block was cleaned it runs so much cooler.  You can stop after a long drive and keep your hand on the rad cap without fear of losing skin.

I tested the t'stat before I put it back in - the t'stat makes no diff to temps once it is open.  The diff temp ratings just delay the opening.

I don't think my cool temps are doing any good to my oil.

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 05:16:07 PM »
I had a relay installed which was suppose to override the timer on the ignition

Nothing to do with a relay.  Once the VATS computer sees the wrong resistance value it makes you wait 4 minutes before you can make another attempt to start the car (it's in the VATS computer not the ignition).
If you click on the highlighted link in my previous post it takes you to the Ecklers site, this is where you can buy the part.  Just measure the resistance of your key, tell the sales guy at Ecklers, and they'll send out the right part for you.  Once you get it, it wont take you more than 5 minutes to install (it simply plugs in).
If you want to find out more, do a Google search on " VATS".

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 08:34:26 PM »
Thunder Kiss, thanks it's a lot clearer to me now. I didn't understand how it all worked, it's still a bit new to me.
77CVT, yeah I dont know about the oil temp. but a warmer engine runs more efficiently and you get to have a good heater in winter !!

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 12:51:10 PM »
ThunderKiss, Hi again, I measured the resistants on the key and got 9.52k ohm, on the Ecklers web site they ask for a value from 1 to 15, not quite sure what to ask for, do I put it as 9 or 9.52 when ordering, could you help me here?  Thanks

Offline Thunder Kiss

• Four Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 05:23:13 PM »
When I had a VATS problem, I rang Ecklers and the sales guy told me my VATS code within 20 seconds.  Otherwise this may shed some light on the matter.  Here is GM's service bulletin on the VATS system and just to proove I don't know everything about the Corvette Vehicle Anti Theft System, I took this test and got several wrong.

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 07:33:53 PM »
Thats ok, I sent a email to Ecklers today explaining the position to the tech. department so I'll wait to here back from them . But thanks for getting me on the right path. I plan to come down for the BBQ on the 12th Dec. so we'll catch up then and hopefully I'll meet lots of people.   Thanks, Glenn.

Offline DMCPONT

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 10:00:24 PM »

The hottest it got to was 111 degree c , once on the freeway it sat on 75 degree all the way home,(port macquarie). The fan motor cost me 260 bucks, and all is well again.

.. why so much for a fan motor... I hope that was fitted or something.. They're about $130 on www.usgmsp.com brand new.. delivered..

Offline corman

• Two Barrel
fan motor costing (also)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 07:52:35 AM »
well, thats the idea of joining the club. Because I have only had the Vette for a short time I didnt know the best places to go for things like that, and when it broke I just wanted it going again. The 2 places in Sydney I rang were similar in price, so send 1 up. But as my knowledge grows of these other places, I'm sure I'll be shopping around next time.