Technical Tips > Post 84

C4 1987 Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

<< < (3/8) > >>

Vettech:
Ummm I'm thinking that on Wednesday I'm home alone, and the dishwasher is empty. Aha she has gone Tues .....

Well it came up a treat,  went to Konnect at W'pk got 7 x (M4 x 0.07) x20mm 316 S/S cap heads.
Decided to cut the complete water tails off flush. I wont run water thru it.
Ran  M4 tap down the hole threads to clean them out.
Now to get the broken screw out...... ummmm.

Vettech:
Well no 0ne has the Gasket Set except Glenn at Corvette Corner . Vic. Ordered.

Fixed the IAC connector - pluged in, new battery, couple hrs of charging, power up and IAC runs the Pintel out of the port.
Turned off power and nothing - I thought these run the Pintel back into the port upon switch off..........any one ????

Vettech:
Still waiting on TB gaskets. So I'll clean up the front on engine ready for bits to bolt on, check out old Water Pump, umm still one of those Stud/bolts in it, even though there are no threads inside the actual pump housing, its as though its threaded down tight.
Eventually, penotrene, largish hammer it came out, a ring of corrosion was all it took to hang on like grim death.

Now they look different, there is no heater spigot/tail in the new pump, the old one is also well and truely corroded in, plus I have no tool that size or depth to get it out - time to source a new one. I do have an enormous shifter, but where, bugger it, just get a new one.

Now - after going to PEP's, getting this bit may not be easy. They had a short tail, but the hex was on the thread's so its impossible to get it tightened down, now what did Sirfixalot do on his...... ummmm.

Vettech:
The tail out of the front of the manifold which carries water out of manifold thru a short horse shoe bend hose up into the TB housing, thru housing and out the RH side, well that tail is RS totally, after nearly two weeks of  getting the correct tools, giving it applications of Heat and Ice water, penotrene, 3ft bar, it finally gave up and came out, but only after I used a Lump Hammer.

If any one out there wants a new "U bend hose", also you can have the original funny looking OEM hose clamps. If you want original stuff on your car then you are welcome to them. Let me know.

Now to get a new tail fitting, and run a BSP tap thru the hole. It really was amazing how tight this fitting was in the manifold, I suppose having a type of steel screwed into aluminium, submerged in water for 30 years will give cause for concern, its little wonder why mechanics refuse to work on cars of this age, to us its a simple job and we get miffed when charged extra for broken, decrepid stuff we thought was ok.

Vettech:
This TB BYPASS has wanded right thru the car. So far we have done the following:
1. Replaced the water pump. (Leaky & noisy)
2. Replaced heater matrix. This included repairing fire wall holes and heater A/C housing, pulling LH dash out.
3. Modified the TB by removing the inlet/outlet tails ( no more water thru the TB). Fit new gaskets, screws etc
4. Replaced the front manifold water oulet with a 90* fitting with a smaller 8mm tail sweated in, to allow    pickup of the steam vent.
5. Removed, cleaned & painted all the carriers/frames on front of engine.
6. New hose from manifold rear steam vent to front pickup.
7. Re-installed the metal "KC4" line from KC4 up to water pump.
8. Repaired KC4 water tails, re-installed along with new Oil Filter (also cleaned rust out of block at KC4 port)
9. Fit new hoses etc to KC4.
10. Remove A.I.R pump and modify accordingly.
11. Fit new "T" piece, hoses etc where KC4 meets water pump side return and heater return.
12. Obtain "02" V8 Comodore (heater to heater tap) hoses, allowes heater to connect down past frame, turn forward.........
And:
Thats as far as I've gotten, I intend to use GOSS 16mm ID heater hose to connect from "T" piece thru heater then to 90* fitting, also I hope to bend up some 5/8 Annealed Cu pipe to connect the hoses, but at the moment I've not allowed for a heater water tap, but the 5/8 pipe should allow its retro fitting at a later date, but since my 90 has no tap on it, I may in the future depending on how well the 87's A/C works opt for no tap ..... we will see.

And for those who are asking "why is he using 5/8 Cu pipe", well the original "conversion" left a lot tobe desired, all hoses THEY ran had 90* kinks in them, thus blocking flow and promoting corrosion, also one ran right under the engine very close to manifolds, cooking very nicely. The Cu pipe once bent to shape is a smaller cross section than the hoses, can be bent to fit into the tight spaces past the LH manifold and up to and under the Alt and A.I.R pump to pick up the new brass 90* fitting, should look neat and tidy and out of sight.

Now waiting on a 5/8" pipe bender - and yes I know all about sand and springs and things, but I'm getting more decrepid by the week and my hands no longer have the strength of old and besides its another nice tool to hang on the wall, you can never have too many tools.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version