Author Topic: Importing  (Read 4363 times)

Offline David

Importing
« on: October 07, 2004, 12:21:29 AM »
Sorry if you got this twice. I need help bringing in some parts from Florida to Sydney. (A second hand leather bucket seat (1) and an air intake system - filter, hose and housing). Can someone advise me on how to get it in cheaply? I checked with FedEx and they wanted some ridiculous amount of money (several times what the parts are worth). Also, do they charge customs or excise on stuff when it gets here if it's a personal import? I would appreciate any replies as need the parts pronto and I intend on bringing in more stuff. Phone David 02 9943 2026 or email david@PRstrategy.com.au

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Importing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »
For something as large as a seat, I would try find some space in a shipping container.  It will take a while, but it is about the only way I know of that won't cost you a bomb.

I haven't gone via the container route yet but last time I almost did I contacted Ray Flaherty of Junkyard Classics (sorry but I cannot find his number) in Sydney (Smithfield if I recall).  There are a number of other people who do this (I am sure the other members here will chime in with suggestions).  Also, from what I recall one of the Chev clubs might have brought in containers periodically from what I recall being said by a visitor to one of our meetings a few months back.  Can anyone remember any details?

I don't know how you would go with duty and GST if you go the container route but for something as large as  seat I would expect customs to slug you.  What you get charged depends on the item but from memory it was around 20%.  Customs will tell you exactly what you would get charged for if you give them a call.  In my experience customs doesn't care if you are a company or an individual trying to save a few bucks, as I have been told by a customs employee previously "If we think there is more than $50 duty to be made on an item we will process it".

Hope this helps.
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline DMCPONT

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 08:14:20 PM »
The tax is primarily .. easy to work out.. just figure 30% and you will get some change.

.. You will get taxed.. unless you can crack a deal with John Howard to exempt you  (get promises IN WRITTING...!!)     Just live with it.. its not going to kill you...

.. Freight .. I presume you brought the parts on Ebay..but regardless...   MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS..   DON"T BULLsh#t about the price to lessen tax.. you are NOT SMART ENOUGH TO OUTSMART CUSTOMS if they sniff a rat.... you stand the chance of loosing the part/s  and also STUFFING IT UP FOR ALL THE OTHER OWNERS of parts in that loading etc.

.. Container Sea freight is one way.. although we (Pontiworld / USGMSP.com ) bring in around 500kg to 1000kg of standby air cargo every two weeks which in that volume these days -  it's also extremely viable for us now....we bring in hundreds of small things  to new  big stuff from doors to hoods.. whatever.... Seats are dead weight/dead cubic cargo though and as it is USED.. it'lll have to go through Quarentine if legally imported.

.. now if our still thinking  How To:.. ILLEGALLY import..... well... you could reduce the invoice to  say US$10, make a forged receipt.. ship it with somebody who does not care (or own a home) and pay them to take the risk (if you tell them).. ..
.. but for what...????  $100 or so..   your probably got more invested in your joggers.. and you didn't shoplift them.... did you...!!!

Emery also run a consolidation service on Sea Freight thru Conway..... they'll pickup if packaged & are properly  addressed from anywhere in the USA , receipted and properly ID'd.  
..Still.. even though you probably paid nothing for the parts.. the cost.. as with alot of things.. is in the importing and clearance.
   Being Used.. and you being a "private person"  .. does not exempt  you from tax's or clearance proceedures..  ANYWHERE in the world.

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
Importing
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 10:16:46 AM »
David . being a new member to our club, have you looked around Sydney for these parts that you need, make some more phone calls and you may save some headachs for the cost of a few bucks,

Offline David

Importing
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:18:48 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies regarding the freight/importing conundrum. Forgot to mention - the seat is not for a Corvette - I gave up the Corvette idea for now and am spending the money on my BMW instead (at least I own it!). I am looking for a black leather 'Vader' seat from a 1994-1998 M3 and haven't had any luck locally, but found one at a BMW performance shop in Miami. Last I heard they wanted $500 bucks to ship it within the states and about three times that to put it on a plane - both of which options are more than they wanted for the seat itself!!!

Offline ben73

• Two Barrel
Importing
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 09:08:04 PM »
The container is the way to go if you are not in a hurry.   I just imported 4 sawblade wheels for $120 in freight + taxes..  I though that was pretty reasonable..  I think the rate was au$200 per m^3.
Red/Red '84  12.4@111.6mph