Author Topic: C3 Tail light lenses  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Wono23

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
  • Mood: Ok
C3 Tail light lenses
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
Hi,

I am wanting to buy tail light lenses with the yellow/orange indicator lens in the middle for my 74' C3.

Let me know if you have any.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: C3 Tail light lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
Easiest way is to put in twin filament orange globes & modify wiring

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:28:03 PM »
Or paint the globes with amber paint from a model shop, like hobby co.
79 vette

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »
You may also want to look into switchback LED's. They go from white to amber so you can have white reverse lights and amber blinkers while keeping the clear lens. There will no doubt be some wiring to be done to make them work and you'll need 1157 sockets. You may also need to wire in a load resistor to get the blinkers to work as the LED doesn't have the same resistance as incandescents, it may happen if you switch all your lights to LED's as the resistance of the system is lowered but some get away without a load resistor.

s

Offline AB_in_AUS

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
I ended up using High Power 3535 Chip 1157 Switchback LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs which I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191482522785

From the single bulb you get an amber light and a white light depending on what circuit is activated. I did not need load resisters.

I replaced the original reversing light socket with two Corvette Original Drivers Side LH Taillight Brake Lamp Repair Sockets, connected the yellow wire to the relevant indicator wire and the brown wires to the revering light wire.  I had to slightly modify the socket to fit the reversing light lense.

To modify the lenses, I cut the reversing light lense on the seam were the lense and back joined with a jig on a band saw. I painted out the red part of the lense with silver paint and then re-glued the two haves. They look completely stock in daylight.