Author Topic: Wanted C4 Steering Column T/Tele  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Wanted C4 Steering Column T/Tele
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:48:28 PM »
Wanted C4 Steering Column, complete or parts, esp inside parts of the telescoping bit. Dont really need the S'wheel etc, but will consider anything to get the inside parts.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: Wanted C4 Steering Column T/Tele
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »
Vette connection has had a parts one on ebay about $45 last couple of weeks notlisted now , what are you after

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »
Ended on 5/5/16 no bids

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:38:05 PM »
VP
Can the parts you need be repaired
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
Sorry Ive been out all day, Now $45 sounds great. When Extended all out the lever will not lock. I've had it apart, the lever pushes down the centre rod to the "cam" at the bottom, the cam goes in and out and effectively binds in the slot it rides up and down in. NOW, all works fine except when its right up (out), the slot is extra deep which means the cam cant bind and lock the position,. Had Column apart and its machined in, its not broken, the slot is ˜1.5mm deeper at the top. I could cut and shape some S/S plate/shim and glue it in place. AND no - there is not enough adjustment to allow locking on the full length of the slot, (theres only 1/3 of a turn in the lever). When I 1st pulled this apart , I  expected to see the bottom the slot and side wall of shaft split away, and was astounded to see it is machined in, then I suspected a collumn from another car had been fitted, but nothing came to mind. My steering collumn is set too far down, I want to rip it out and redo the fire wall and raise it - really I suppose what I need is a look inside a genuine collumn to see if this is correct or has been mismachined or bodgied. AND No it has not been put together incorrectly  it only goes together one way - ie foolproof or is that Doug proof.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »
Oh! and Bob - I thought of repair - had my Old Man been alive he would have filled the slot with Braze or Silver Solder, he was a magician at Brazing, always clean -sometimes it was hard to see where he had done the repair - unfortuneately the apple fell too far from the tree - ie Im hopeless at it. And also if I hit it with heat it odds on I'll over heat the shaft - and I imagine the shaft is hardened - case hardened or tempered - something that I would stuff up.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
Could you fix it by placing a longer rod to push down on the wedge or alternately drop a 1/4 " ball bearing down centre shaft on top of the push rod my guess is the star bolt is bottoming out on its shoulder & can't push the wedge out sufficiently. Try using a conventional 5/16 UNC bolt to see if the tele will lock when fully extended

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
The rod pushes out as it should, the cam slides up/down the slot and when pushed it binds into the bottom of the slot, the lever/star bolt has ˜1/3 of a turn - in 90% of the slot it will lock, but in the top 10% the slot is deeper and it will not. I can adjust the position of the lever to the star bolt to either lock in the top 10% (great for me) but the column will not telescope down as the cam cant get out of the deep section of the slot. Im sorry if this is making no sense. The bottom line is - if I redo the fire wall and the column sits higher as it should then the column needs to telescope to allow all drivers. I had a new lower shaft made several years ago, it was made longer to ensure I had enough to reach when the column moves back to the correct position. The reason for the new shaft was because it was rubbing on the chassis and was nearly cut right thru, this new shaft is thinner tensile duraleum tube, just misses the chassie rail.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »
Thanks for that PM Bob, I did open it, expensive, I notice the Tilt Lever is missing, mines broken, cant get them, like hens teeth. I wonder what the lower case measurement is, I think that is where they crush in an accident. The 87 is full of water again, despite cover.  I hope the new Mustang comes quick. Depressed, I bought a Unique Cars today, there is a nice 350SL 72 Black on Red Convertible Australian delivery and only $29K - Ummmm something that has not been butchered by experts, would be nice.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
The 350 I believe we're optioned with a 5.5lt making a massive 230 odd HP
So I'm thinking a BB but I know you won't go there so perhaps a LS2?
And make it go some what quicker .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
Hey Bob always thinking outside the square . PS are you coming on the Brass Monkey, Run $70 mill in great cars can't be missed .

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »
They started at 3.5L (230Hp) and by 81 they had gone thru 3.8L, 4.5L and finally 5.0L was avaiable in the states in 81.
🖕 Vettech.