Author Topic: Why is so difficult to sell a car at the moment  (Read 15307 times)

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Why is so difficult to sell a car at the moment
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »
I'm interested in opinions
Why are the corvettes and,other similar vehicles so had to sell these days?
Our dollar is down! yet local cars are not moving , average cars, top level cars are not getting the interest.
Has the time passed for these cars?
 Is it the lack of confidence in our economy caused by dismal lack of government?
Are there just to many cars?

Is it the cost brick laying?

Have your say
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Re: Why is so difficult to sell a car at the moment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 11:22:52 PM »
Has the time passed for these cars?

Dunno, but generational turn will surely hit one of these years. That is, they will only appeal to a diminishing number of baby boomers.

A mate of mine, now 77,  has always been heavily into cars of the 1930s. He opined recently that kids nowadays are not the slightest bit interested in anything before the 1970s, especially anything with a running board on it.

Are there just too many cars.

The tsunami of cheapies that hit Oz (mainly via QLD) when the dollar was at parity can't have helped prices and demand, that's for sure.

Is it the cost [of] brick laying

... or the cost of land to lay those garage bricks on?
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:29:28 AM »
 :hi: Hi all, I agree with the comment that the kids that have been born after us baby boomers don't care too much for classic cars, sad to say but we are a dying breed. :grr:
Also for us still in the work force, as my wife and I are on the very tail of the boomers in our mid 50's can tell you that it is tough out there with a lot of sectors struggling to make a buck, let alone have some play money for a toy to put in the man shed.
Just a few snaps I have seen over the last few weeks. :drunk: See you at Sutton Forrest

Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »
Two things:
1) Most of the cheap US cars I have seen for sale that seem to not sell are all RHD.  And they are all at the age now where you can import the same model and keep it LHD.  To make it worse, you see a pic of the engine bay and the brake booster is still on the left.  In my opinion, most people know how bad some of these RHD conversions can be and simply steer clear.

2) As stated by GTC, there was a flood of imports while the $$ was at parity or better, and there still seems to be plenty coming in for sale with 'import approval'.  There are even a stack that were imported a few years back that are now for sale with import approval.  Presumable because of hidden rust that the buyer is trying to on-sell.

I'd have a C4 as a daily in a heart beat if I didn't need a car that could fit baby seats...

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »
Good topic.
The current scene is showing more interest in the last 5 yrs than it had for a very long time.
Look at the prolific number of coffee and evening runs at the varies locations in Sydney.
More and more cars out at these events than I have seen in many a yr, there is interest and some good cash out there for the right cars.
Aussie muscle is moving well with some good cash being parted with.
As to the moving of a corvette well it's like a house location location location sells, to put this to a vet in terms street appeal ,yr and condition.
One of our members recently sold his within a week for good money ( street appeal ) flashy new red paint over a good body, ( yr ) Chrome bumper model . ( condition ) very good to excellent a turn key car get in and drive and enjoy.
C 1 C2 and the C3 chrome bumpers move and are up 5% to 8% in the last couple of yrs.
Big blocks a very big puller in price.
There is a heap of vets for sale at the moment and yes it would be true to say that this is due to the dollar being high a few yrs ago and the US in a down turn.
Mid yrs of the C3 were the biggest import they were bloody cheap, very good examples could be had for under $10,000 US
Another point with selling a vet is the owners expectation of what it is, really this does not in anyway meet reality in real terms. Get it real stand back an look at it.
In the current way things are going and I do follow this , mid yr C3 down as well as all C4s and the C5 moving in the same direction.
C1 C2 And C3 chrome bumpers up.
As I stated before location location location and value as such.

Regards Ross

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
I agree with all the above , two seats don't help much as well , people with limited budgets and kids look to Camaro"s and other sports 4 seaters . Either way it can"t be all the Brickys fault.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
Now hang on a minute, if "the  Bricky" had charged less, then the young couples would have cheaper houses, smaller loans and thus more disposable income and I'm sure the hubby would have controll of that income so he could buy a Corvette. It is plain to see it is the "the Brickies" fault !?!?!?!?!?!?!?.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
Now hang on a minute, if "the  Bricky" had charged less, then the young couples would have cheaper houses, smaller loans and thus more disposable income and I'm sure the hubby would have controll of that income so he could buy a Corvette. It is plain to see it is the "the Brickies" fault !?!?!?!?!?!?!?.
VP what world do you live in
Hubby has control of the purse, that's not a concept that I'm familiar with.
There is that illusion but really is different to illusion.

If a young couple has disposable income then that will be making babies, with the illusion that children will make them happy
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
Is it the lack of confidence in our economy caused by dismal lack of government?

^ This!

I've been unemployed for over 2 years now after the mining boon collapsed and I wasn't even working on the mines. Add to this all the other people that've been put out of work with all the other businesses that are currently downsizing or going under.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »
Now hang on a minute, if "the  Bricky" had charged less, then the young couples would have cheaper houses, smaller loans and thus more disposable income

Not in the slightest bit correct. Yes tradies are now charging a fortune but with all the kids now finishing HSC and/or going to university, there's less going into trades so it's just supply/demand working here.

The reason that property (new and old) is so expensive is because banks are giving out loans too easily. When you arrive at the auction  the next guy was able to get more from his bank so bids higher, thus raising the price. When I purchased my unit the realtor was on the phone with another couple and they kept pushing the price up, I was also talking to my banker checking to see how much extra I could borrow; eventually one of us gave in at 12k more than the asking price.

s

Offline MY081

• Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
So there you have it !!!!

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »
OMG. you lot are so easily distracted.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »
OMG. you lot are so easily distracted.

Alzheimer's :bolt:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:26 AM »
I blame chemtrails.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 07:59:32 AM »
ADHD.

s

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
Scotty - I would disagree with some of what you say, there are heaps of LHD C4's coming out of WA and to a lesser extent SA. Smaller markets mean we see them advertised here on the Eastern seaboard, and they are very cheap, but require conversion if they dont comply to State Laws. I think 2 seats deter a lot, but those interested want the "Glamour Muscle Cars" - late C2's and C3's. And lets face it for looks and appeal they are the best, but as far as sports car handling goes they are the pits. I would imagine that the warmer months will trigger sales and lets not forget we have had some uncertainty, economy wise, over the past few years.
Come Sept I think the market will once again lift.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
Scotty - I would disagree with some of what you say, there are heaps of LHD C4's coming out of WA and to a lesser extent SA. Smaller markets mean we see them advertised here on the Eastern seaboard, and they are very cheap, but require conversion if they dont comply to State Laws. I think 2 seats deter a lot, but those interested want the "Glamour Muscle Cars" - late C2's and C3's. And lets face it for looks and appeal they are the best, but as far as sports car handling goes they are the pits. I would imagine that the warmer months will trigger sales and lets not forget we have had some uncertainty, economy wise, over the past few years.
Come Sept I think the market will once again lift.
I have to agree with the handling comment VP.
I have a Shirt load of money in my C3 suspension wise.
and still can not predict  where the car will go when the torque starts to come on.

The last lot of suspension work dropper 12 seconds of my lap time at Winton
how ever,I had to let one C5 walk past me in a corner , as I could not guaranty the car would go straight,when I get on the throttle.

BUT that is one of the pleasures of an older vehicle. sorting out the old world  technology.
other wise one would just go out an buy a mustang .
Bfit
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
I agree with all the above , two seats don't help much as well

Add to that, no boot. For those that can only have one car, no boot can be a deal breaker.

s

Offline MY081

• Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »
Yes the boot Mmmmm, doesn"t hinder my wife 4 days away to a not so recent Vette Convention took 9 pair of shoes and came home with 11 plus stackhat and clothes not bad for a c3.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 05:08:32 PM »
But at least yours Ray - like my 78 and the C4, have the big "Camaro" rear window - where heaps of shoes and socks and undies and Honey can be stored. I even saw a chappie turn up to a Show and Shine complete with two children stored in the back. Ummmmm.
🖕 Vettech.