Author Topic: Right to Left Conversion  (Read 18256 times)

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
Right to Left Conversion
« on: February 15, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
Hi Guys

Am considering, subject to legalities, converting my car back to left hand drive and am chasing some bits and pieces.

Never been really happy with the car as a right hooker eg: Cramped driving position, less than optimum steering geometry, no aircon!!!
So seeing as I'm pulling the engine out to freshen it up and redo the engine bay I thought why not!

This is what I'm chasing...any help would be appreciated.

1. Left hand drive dash & gauge pads. (1970 model)
2. Manual pedal box ( My one has been modified...the pedals that is). (1970 model)
3. Heater and air conditioning box. (1970 mode)l

Have been able to locate some of this stuff overseas but figured that I would try here first.
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: Right to Left Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »
Not 100% on 70's but my 87 & 78 are RHD and they have original dash pads.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
You could try Greg Morris he has done lots of conversions including mine , he may have some old parts for sale .phone number is 0417548377 good luck .Ray

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:34:33 PM »
Talk to Scott at CA&C (ad at bottom of screen)
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:11:33 PM »
converting back to LHD
there should be no problem .
I think just do it get a blue slip and away you go
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »
That's what I thought Bfit but when I rang the RTA/RMS a while ago, I was told that I couldn't convert a registered right hand drive vehicle back to left hand drive and have it registered to drive on a public road.
So I rang again a few months later and then they told me that it was ok :huh: Problem is that they couldn't show me were in the so called rule book that it would be ok.

Hate to spend all the time and effort to do this and then get told "sorry no can do"

The car will be easy enough to convert back as it hasn't been butchered in the conversion so it is nearly as good as bolting everything back in their original place.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:16:20 AM »
you obviously need something in writing.
you could push the originality of the vehicle being of more value. availability of components .
 as  low number of converted vehicles leads to  required component, may only be available second hand  etc.  when repairs are needed.
IE club  rego  and the real possibility of selling the car back into the US market at some future date
bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »

Just curious to know what steering setup you have for RHD?

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
The car at the moment runs a Toyota Cressida steering box with a Ford draglink and the corvette tie rod arms. Has a cross shaft for the brakes and clutch.
Have had the car like this since 1993 after bringing it in from the states. Had to convert it back then in order to drive it.

Car actually drives ok and performs fine, just think that the car could be better to drive and work on if it was in its original state, so seeing as the motor was coming out for a freshen up and clean up the engine bay I thought why not :wave:

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
Hi Guys

Never been really happy with the car as a right hooker eg: Cramped driving position, less than optimum steering geometry, no aircon!!!
So seeing as I'm pulling the engine out to freshen it up and redo the engine bay I thought why not!

I totally agree with that statement brother. Big job but hey ......

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
the car could be better to drive and work on if it was in its original state

Absolutely; GM would've invested millions in the design of the steering geometry; when you start messing with it chances are it'll get worse not better.

I think you're doing the right thing and although many said it would never happen; Americans are now buying back some of the US cars we imported; the quality of our restorations is well known over there too.

s

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »

Hey, why wouldn't they buy them back. . yes the quality of some cars restored is phenomenal, and with the US dollar as it is, its cheap for them
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »
Hey, why wouldn't they buy them back.

There's always a bit of a debate on Aus. forums when someone asks about converting to RHD. Most people advise to leave it LHD; they're fun to drive, etc. but one comment that always got a bit of ribbing was to keep them LHD in case the yanks want to buy them back.  Many laughed saying it'll never happen; they won't spend that much extra to import them when they have so many cars to choose from over there, etc.

Well it's happening now.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
Absolutely; GM would've invested millions in the design of the steering geometry; when you start messing with it chances are it'll get worse not better.

I think you're doing the right thing and although many said it would never happen; Americans are now buying back some of the US cars we imported; the quality of our restorations is well known over there too.

s

I don't know about Gm designing things .
they like most design  to be adequate  not  perfect.
C3 `s have a lot of problems in the stock steering.
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »
I don't know about Gm designing things.
they like most design  to be adequate  not  perfect.
C3 `s have a lot of problems in the stock steering.

Yeah, a lot of US muscle cars seemed to only be able to perform well in a straight line; the 'vettes were always a bit better I thought with the IRS and such.

If you're doing a redesign of the geometry, correcting bump steer, centre of gravity, centre of roll, etc. you may do a better job. If you're just swapping over to the other side, using components from other cars that are a close fit, this is where you can run into trouble, trying to clear components and such.

I agree about adequacy; trying to squeeze what you can out of the budget; you can only dedicate so much to design, with the manufacturing processes of the time, etc.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
Yes I agree with that swapping close enough part to make it look and drive reasonable is no the answer.
I would rather standard  C3 over modified  to RHD.
I have to say  MY81`s C3 goes well in the steering department
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »
Hey, why wouldn't they buy them back. . yes the quality of some cars restored is phenomenal, and with the US dollar as it is, its cheap for them

Michael, Reckon there import rules may be harder than ours ?

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »
Michael, Reckon there import rules may be harder than ours ?

Their tariff laws definitely are; it's why our car industry went under.

s

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
There may be many others, but the only converted car that I'm aware of that went back to the USA is this one ... and it is still RHD:

http://www.streetmachine.com.au/news/1505/running-on-empty-dodge-daytona-up-for-auction/

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
Sent an email today to the RMS asking for guidance on the subject....wonder how long I have to wait for a reply? :huh: Ill keep you all posted

After going through Fleabay and seeing what some of them are asking for cars these days maybe its cheaper to buy a restored one here and take it back..their dollar being so much better than ours at the moment.
As for the quality of the work. I've seen some so called quality resprays that have come from over there. Scary stuff :nono: