Author Topic: Keys  (Read 4662 times)

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Keys
« on: August 14, 2004, 06:12:08 PM »
Here I go again: As I have only one ignition key, who do we go to to have the keys checked for resistence so a extra key can be purchased. Also some of the plastic covers that could be replaced is there a wreckers that has corvette parts or do we import them from the States. More to follow when I think of something else I am stuck on. Thanks for all your help so far.:drink:drink
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.

MJ355

Keys
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »
if its a c4 dave at ponti world has them down here in wollongong but u need to take your key in so he can put it in the reader because i think there is about 12 different ones from memory they have those little black code readers on the key

Offline smokem

• Four Barrel
Keys
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »

STOP ACTING STUPID!
WE'VE GOT POLITICIANS TO DO THAT
[/i]

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Keys
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 04:26:08 PM »
for those who dont have anyone close who can help, note that the resistor on a C4 key can have a value of 1 to 15... the resistence value(Ohms) of a key can be checked with a multi-meter(if you have one) using your current key as a guide .... else go see your local auto electrician and get him to use his multi-meter on your key.   Tell him that he needs to tell you a number between 1 and 15.   Note that the multi-meter may not give an exact discrete number between 1 and 15... so round it out...  For example, on the scale I use on my multi-meter I get 29 which rounded gives me 3. With the resistence value known(1-15), blank replacement keys can be purchased from a US Corvette online store for US $15 + shipping or, of course, thru any good local Corvette/Chevrolet parts supplier.

Offline cosmicvette

• Four Barrel
Keys
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 05:02:40 PM »
Originally posted by daniel42au
for those who doesnt have anyone close who can help, note that the resistor on a C4 key can have a value of 1 to 15... the resistence value(Ohms) of a key can be checked with a multi-meter(if you have one) using your current key as a guide .... else go see your local auto electrician and get him to use his multi-meter on your key.   Tell him that he needs to tell you a number between 1 and 15.   Note that the multi-meter may not give an exact discrete number between 1 and 15... so round it out...  For example, on the scale I use on my multi-meter I get 29 which rounded gives me 3. With the resistence value known(1-15), blank replacement keys can be purchased from a US Corvette online store for US $15 + shipping or, of course, thru any good local Corvette/Chevrolet parts supplier.

The resistance value will correspond to the VATS code - there are 15 different resistance values corresponding to 15 different VATS codes.

Easy to check with a multimeter - have used the same method to work out my own VATS code - but you will need the table of resistance values - and from this you will get your VAT code.

Check out this link - a good explanation and the table of resistance values.

http://www.keybitslockandkey.com/losangeleslocksmith/vatsInstruction.htm

Offline daniel42au

• Four Barrel
    • members.ozemail.com.au/~daniel42au
Keys
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:47:14 AM »
Now that all rings a bell, Thanks for that... It has been a while since I had to replace my key but I knew it was a pretty simple task using a multimeter to determine a keys value without having to mail off my key(which should be avoided if ya have only one key).

Offline ozpont

• Four Barrel
Keys
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 06:27:54 AM »
Daniel.. yu can purchase the keys from a number of places here in OZ or as suggested at the very good price of US$15 + shipping ex the USA, but before you ring the USA as  advised... PW (www.usgmsp.com)  has them for A$20 each +gst HERE for your series, just gotta to know the resistance value OR.. securely register post your original to them for same day return..but your better to hold your original after getting it read.
   Not a commercial.. just common sense.

Offline steve_79

• Two Barrel
Keys
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:27:37 PM »
Does anyone know how to find out which coded key you need if you don't have the original.
 I bought mine thinking it didn't need one but it keeps cutting out on me and has an antitheft failure error.

Thanks

Steve