Author Topic: PS pulley hitting on front x-member  (Read 13792 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Re: PS pulley hitting on front x-member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
Internet says it should be 6" and the internet never lies :)

With the pump leaned over for max clearance I probably had 2-3mm.  So I'll be happy adding another 5mm or so.  Especially if the engine moves a little when running (if I ever get it running...).

I just want to get enough done so I can drive it, then once it's back on the road I'll start looking for a 454 to drop in there as 400 cubes is just too small.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 10:46:39 PM »
Internet says it should be 6" and the internet never lies :)

With the pump leaned over for max clearance I probably had 2-3mm.  So I'll be happy adding another 5mm or so.  Especially if the engine moves a little when running (if I ever get it running...).

I just want to get enough done so I can drive it, then once it's back on the road I'll start looking for a 454 to drop in there as 400 cubes is just too small.

When you look for a BB  go straight past the 454 and get a 496 you will not be disappointed .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
Have you checked engine mounts there are 2 types short & wide 2 5/8" between ears  & 1 3/4" high or 2 3/8" wide & 2 3/16" high if you use the wide ears you could move engine back 1/4" & put a spacer ferrule on chassis mount post

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
When you look for a BB  go straight past the 454 and get a 496 you will not be disappointed .
Bfit

That's the plan.  Stroker!!! A 502 isn't NCOP legal, so a stroker will be more secret squirrel.  The stroker kits are pretty well priced from sumit/jegs.  But that's well down the track.  I bought the gearbox conversion back in 2010, and I've only just bolted the box in.  Luckily I have a ZD fairlane to drive to work and keep my ears full of old V8 burble.

I don't think moving the engine back more would help much due to the angle of the x-member and the mount for the lower suspension arm.  Either way, the mount is cut and re-welding it will fix the issue.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 07:16:42 AM »
Is the car rhd?why is mount cut

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 07:37:23 AM »
Im curious, What  gear box have you fitted,
The drive shaft angle from engine to diff is an intetesting concept.
In the corvette  the diff is mounted horizontal as long as the rear of the gear box is higher than the diff imput and you engine trans angle is less than 3 degrees angled down front to rear. The drive shaft won't give you any problems .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »
When you fit a BB in the vette you will find out what a tight fit it is .
The problems you having now are minimal in comparison.
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »
Short memory Bob?

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,6964.84.html

My bracket is a little different, and looks much more heavy duty.  I'll update that build thread with some new pics.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »
Hard enough keeping track of my own projects,
Check this post out.  A few photos down the page
http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,6964.msg1045955259/topicseen.html#new
 So a 5 speed I wouldn't think you would have any problems setting one of those up, lots of room for that one,
I don't like those shifters they supply  with the 5 speed ,  the mod gives a few problems shifting when your keen to get going, if you get what I mean.
The 6 speed magnum is Much  better , thinking about the BB  you will find the 5 speed  won't hold up behind a strong BB.
Bfit
Winston Churchill