Author Topic: PS pulley hitting on front x-member  (Read 13791 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
PS pulley hitting on front x-member
« on: January 13, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »
Now that I have lowered my engine by removing the spacers between the engine mounts and the block, (which I did to get better alignment angles in the tailshaft) I have noticed the power steering pump pulley is hitting on the front cross member.

My engine is a 400 small block and is fitted with a long water pump.  So I'm pretty sure all the accessories are as they were on the truck it came out of, as the alternator is on the right hand side, as shown in the pics.  The front pulley sticks out a fair way from the harmonic balancer and the power steering belt is on the V closest to the block.  Are there different power steering pump mount brackets for different cars or where they all the same?  Are there different size pulleys for the PS?

I can easily enough fit the correct water pump and relocate the alternator, but that won't help the power steering.  Any ideas and measurements would be helpful.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
Re: PS pulley hitting on front x-member
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »
Hi Scott im not much help but i just checked my vette and your power steer pully looks different to mine . My P steer pully is only a bit less than a 1/4 of an inch from my cross member and my alternator is on the other side at the top . hope this helps a bit . Ray

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
If you get a chance, could you please measure the diameter of your PS pulley, and the distance of the PS belt from the front of the block?

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:09 PM »
From the centre of the belt to the engine block is 135cm the pulley size is the same measurement 135 cm

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »
Thanks, I'll compare that to mine when I get home.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
Mate swing the pump inwards and use a smaller belt
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 08:46:46 AM »
Hopefully it's that simple.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
When the power steering pump is fitted with the correct belt,  the filler neck with be close to vertical not laying out as it is in the photo.
It is posible you have  the wrong brackets. I'll see if I can take a head on photo of one
 of mine I have out on the floor  PM   Me an email address
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 06:23:56 PM »

Hi Scott,

Bob is right. It needs to be in a more upright position. The picture shows the pump using a March pulley setup, however this is close to its oem v-belt position. No problems with the cross member here.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »
The picture shows the pump using a March pulley
Hi Wabco.  Is that a special pump or did you have it modified to spin backwards for the serpentine belt?

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Hi Wabco.  Is that a special pump or did you have it modified to spin backwards for the serpentine belt?

Hi Sabre,

The pump runs in the normal direction (clockwise when looking from the front of the engine). The belt goes from the crank pulley up to the water pump, then across to the alternator, down and around the inside of the idler pulley and then around the outside of the PS pump pulley back to the crank.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »
I did some measuring this morning and the belt looks to be 110mm from the block and my PS pulley is 150mm in diameter.  I'll loosen the bolts and move it in on the weekend.  Then I'll need a new belt I guess.  I wish all my issues were this simple to fix (If this does fix it that is).

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:24:04 PM »
I just had a quick look.  Even at full movement away from the frame, there is still only 3mm.  I just pulled off the pump and bracket.  I think Ill cut it and re-weld the mount point a little higher.  As I have the alternator on the other side there won't be any issues with getting the lid off.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 06:39:14 AM »
If you have a long water pump that would put pulleys  too far forward. The pump pulley looks too big in diameter also. Corvette water pump & pulleys are unique to corvette the boss on pump is 3/4"  from memory. There are different offsets on power steer pump pulley also

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
The ps pump runs solo off the crank and the belt is as close to the block as possible.  It's a 6 inch pulley which is standard.  I realised last night I don't have the ps adjuster bracket.  There was a random bracket there that doesn't fit. I think the issue is that I dropped the engine as low as I could to help with tailshaft angles and the ps pulley has minimal clearance at the best of times.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »
Here you go this is the belt on one of my spares  direct drive of the crank
the bracket  is the rear mount bracket  that is bolted flush on the front of the block.
The pulley on mine pumps measures  5 3/4' OD.
Bfit

Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
photo of pulley
photo does not show measurement  well 5 7/8"  from  rear to front of pulley
bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
Looks like I have the same pump and bottom mount bracket.  I'll have to make up the top adjusting one though.  I've cut the bracket apart now, I just need to weld it back up, which means a trip to my fathers place to use the mig.  I was easier when I had it on permanent loan form him as he preferred his stick welder.  Now he's used to the mig, I don't think I'll get it back...

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »
when there is a little light in the shed tomorrow ill take a better photo of the adjusting bracket ,.
Bift
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Bobs pulley is 5 3/4" yours is 6" will check one I have tomorrow. With a 6 " pulley won't matter how close to the block you get it will still hit the chassis cut out correct one only has about 10mm clearance tops to the chassis.