Author Topic: Ecklers experiences  (Read 8245 times)

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
Ecklers experiences
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »
Anyone bought much from Ecklers Corvette? Ive bought quite a bit from them in the past couple of months as I've been collecting bits and pieces for the car, and have been very happy with the services and shipping cost, but have now found a couple of the parts that I'm not very happy with and am wondering if others have had similar experiences and/or if I should buy parts elsewhere in future.

- Steering column lower bearing and retainer kit - bought as original didn't feel perfect and is apparently a common issue, but the replacement had much much more play than the original. Half the play was in the replacement retainer, and half in the replacement bearing (found by mixing and matching old and new). Ended up repacking the original bearing with grease and putting it back in.

- Replacement centre gauge and stereo surround plastic - Mine had been cut for a cd player, but was cracked  from one corner. I paid an exorbitant amount (2.5x price for a standard replacement) for a replacement to suit cd player, expecting a differently moulded part. I received a modified (and honestly, pretty roughly cut, I could have done a neater job myself) standard part.

Have I just been unlucky, or have others had similar issues? Getting a bit concerned about the parts I haven't gotten to yet now!

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: Ecklers experiences
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »
Have seen the centre instrument cluster panel cut out is a bit of a rort for something you can do yourself. Havent been able to locate the DIN  panel that they fit over the top of the existing opening Nothing some carefull cutting & filing of a piece of black colourbond steel couldn't replicate

Offline Green69

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:28:27 PM »
The pity is, whilst the people that you are talking to on the phone are most of the time willing to help you, the people who are doing your parcel don't really give a .... I received bags of parts who were already open with indeed half of it missing or the wrong part numbers and even broken parts! They tried to fix the problems and on some cases succeeded . But I took my business to Corvette Central and other these days. As I said, pity, because I liked their variety of parts.
Thierry

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:45:40 AM »
I quit using Ecklers years ago for many of the reasons mentioned. I use Corvette Central, Zip and others.

One of the long time members of the Club, who isn't on this forum, and is the owner of numerous Vettes, highly recommends a guy in Georgia named Sam Mooney. He is apparently very good at locating just the right part and he keeps the shipping costs as low as he can. The advantage is that you're dealing direct with a guy who knows Corvettes, not a remote shipping clerk who doesn't give the proverbial rat's:

http://www.fullthrottlecorvette.com/
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Miss Independent

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
If you are looking OS for parts you could try Zip Corvettes one of our sponsors .http://www.zip-corvette.com/
 I always have a positive response from them in advertising deals and can pass on the enquiry  to my contact there. Not sure on costing but I'm sure they'd also be happy to help you out.  Keen parts also can be found in our club magazine and may be worth a try as well. http://keenparts.com/
****Don't let someone else dim your light simply because it's shining in their eyes***

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
Ive used MAD Vett and Ecklers in the long past, but recently checking prices against stock, I've been using ZIP and Corvette Central. Recently whilst at Carlise I bought from the Corvette America store. They had good prices. I've also learned to email them when they confirm the order, asking to ensure they send in one consignment lot, since most in the US cant conceive of any where else except the lower 48 where postage is free. One dispatcher kept saying my English was good for an Austrian. Zeekheil.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:57:05 PM »
I found Ecklers good  on warranties  issues.
every time I have bought something I end up with replacements some time it takes a couple of goes to get something that is ok to use.
Bfit 
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, work's been killing me so sorry for not responding sooner. I guess I'll try some of the other suppliers, and also raise my concerns about these parts with Ecklers to see what they say. The thing I've liked about them is that their online store and range is excellent, and calculates freight (at very competitive prices compared to other suppliers I've used) automatically. A lot less hassle than most other companies where you need to wait for a freight quote, and a lot more competitive than some of the other companies I looked at that did calculate automatically on the freight price. Unfortunately I don't really have the time flexibility to try and chase parts on the phone, as it seems that may be the best option.

Offline 76Vett

• Four Barrel
  • From the Shire
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 07:32:48 AM »
I've tried a few US suppliers but mainly have stuck with Corvette Central and mostly Ecklers. I agree with Metalhead's and Bfits comments for the same reasons and have not had any issues with their service, pricing or the parts they have supplied. On one occasion they did send me the wrong steering wheel, I ordered chrome spokes and they sent a brush finished, I contacted them about it and they sent me the correct one express delivery and said just to keep the other one and not worry about returning it which I offered to do. So no complaints from me. One company I will not deal with again is Corvette Parts World Wide but that's another story.   :agree:
The answer really is 42

Offline Green69

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »
Sometime you win, sometime you don't. Overall, all those guys are not bad at all. Try dealing with Chinese companies .......

Offline mention1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
I agree  with Miss I.
When I went to Corvettes at Carlisle a few months ago I stopped in at Zip Corvette in Virginia. I said hello to JT Stafford, their sales manager and he spent 3 HOURS with me talking Corvettes. He even went over a C3 in their showroom with me (they sell on consignment).

I was so impressed I bought about $1000 worth of stuff and shoved it in my suitcase. He also mentioned that if I placed an order in California rather than VA I would save GST. So if you go to LA regularly, have it sent there, they often have free shipping sales. But only in America, I still haven't thought of a way to keep shipping costs down to here in OZ, but I am working on it!!

Offline nickc1

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
I still haven't thought of a way to keep shipping costs down to here in OZ, but I am working on it!!

I've been using shipito.com for posting stuff here. The goods get sent freepost within the States to their warehouse.... Once everything arrives they repackage it into a smaller box and send whatever option you prefer... Via sea is pretty cheap and didn't take too long. Good service.