Author Topic: Finally Got My Car  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
Finally Got My Car
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
I bought a 71 Stingray 454 earlier this year in the US & shipped it myself. It landed in Sydney a week ago Saturday. Got the import clearances done, quarantine, GST paid & collected it Thursday. Changed the headlights & seatbelts Thursday night, blue slipped Friday & registered.

Just a few minor problems to sort...the AC was decommissioned & converted to R134A in the US but looks like they left the bolts loose on the compressor mounts and it nearly came adrift yesterday - the AC compressor clutch is now unserviceable & will have to be replaced, and I thought all I had to do was get it re-gassed!! The heater is on all the time & doesn't seem to want to turn off!!

The previous owner put new period tyres on it when it went up for sale, Goodyear F70 15's 2 ply nylon. I haven't driven far but think I will look for some steel belts, as the handling is a little to be desired. Happy for recommendations here as the car is pretty immaculate, matching numbers & don't want to detract from originality.

Looking forward to my first club meet :-)

Leigh

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: Finally Got My Car
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
Nice looking vehicle Leigh
welcome to the forum,
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
Nice.

Cabin heat:  First, install a manual valve on the heater hose to stop hot water getting to the heat exchange.  The rubbers in the heater box perish and let heat into the cabin.  There are also about 50 other places where hear gets form the engine bay into the cabin.  There's a bit of info around regarding this.  Spending some time chasing these down will help the issue.

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »
Cheers thanks.

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
May not be the heater at all
ARCHIVED ROAD TEST
Despite its tire weaknesses, the Corvette is a superior automobile in all departments of handling. Like the man said, the machine is excellent, but the car's functional applications are limited. In addition to the aforementioned storage deficiencies, it is full of minor irritants—many of them the responsibility of the stylists, not the engineers. To begin with, limited interior space makes things very hot indeed, the glories of "Astro-Ventilation" notwithstanding. With that great lump of hot iron mounted a few inches on the other side of the firewall, BTUs pour over the driver and passenger in unpleasant quantities, even at cruising speeds.

It really does get hot in there.
I am not a fan of putting a stop valve in the heater line at all.
Check to see if the heat collar is in place over the transmission, if Chevrolet thought it was nessecary to put it in you know it was needed.
If it has been restored correctly it should not have any holes that let the hot air come in
, have a look and see.
You have a big block separated by 3 to 4 mms of fiberglass from you, not to mention that you are sitting over the exhaust pipe.
The privlage of owning a old classic.

Rosco

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »
Haaaa great post Rosco. Unfortunately I am off on business Wed until the end of the month so wont be able to check it out further until then, but good point. When I get the AC re-gassed & apparently a new AC Delco A6 compressor clutch, according to my local auto electrician & AC man, I'll get him to double check the heater.

Cheers

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »
As an original LH drive I would not expect holes in the firewall, but even a 1/8" hole will draw blazing hot air into the cab once you are moving along, I would definitely check for holes. At night or in darkened garage, super bright light in the engine and eyes peeled in the cab, lift etc any carpet. Also restorers have a knack of removing underfelt and thermal insulation layers without putting them back. When I got my 78 it was like a furnace, people shrugged it off saying Vettes ran hot, mines converted ----- I filled 32 holes, fitted Ali backed thermal shield and underfelt as per the OEM build book, runs as cool as any holden now. Hope you have cool runnings ahead, since your car looks pretty cool.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
Thanks for that, I will have a chance to revisit at the end of the month.

Cheers

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
Heat
Heater is a big problem when the valve is stuck open.
Holes in the body need to be filled .
If you insulate the fire wall and floor and trans tunnel make sure the shifter hole is sealed
You will,have a cool car even on a  summers day.

When you insulate the floor, insulation under carpet and under side as well between exhaust and floor
Make sure the fire wall heat shields are fitted correctly
It's important to make sure your radiator is functioning correctly,Your engine should run between
160 f and 180 f most of the time , on a cold morning it will run very cold .In the 120 f range for as much as 20k

I run a BB in a 70 model, heat in not a problem

Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 07:47:13 AM »
Sounds like I need to check the heater valve as heat seems to be coming through the vents. I will check the other possibilities when I can.

thanks,

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
On Tyres.
The previous owner fitted new F70 15 2 ply period tyres, what is the recommendation for some better & safer road manners?  don't want any rubbing issues.

Cheers,

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Big Block
  • Car: 1972 Big Block 4 Speed
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
245 or 255 60/15 on the back
235 60/15 on the front ( some 245 do rub at full lock )

This was a great set up has a nice stance and ride for a recent 72 I had.

Big difference to the 215 originals  :grin:

Tempe Tyres are competitive and deliver if needed for tyres

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bf-Goodrich-P245-60R15-100S-Rwl-Radial-T-A-Usa-Tyre-Passenger-/171880663121?hash=item2804e2c851:g:yhMAAOSwgQ9Vv~yU

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 10:42:03 AM »
Great thanks for that :-)