Author Topic: Extractors/headers for LHD C3  (Read 6289 times)

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
Extractors/headers for LHD C3
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a supplier for headers/extractors for a LHD c3, small block with Borgeson steering box? Called the couple of local performance exhaust places and they recommended importing them - they are happy to make custom ones, but $$$... Any suggestions? Are there any local suppliers?

Cheers and thanks,

Andrew.

Offline 76Vett

• Four Barrel
  • From the Shire
Re: Extractors/headers for LHD C3
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
Hi Andrew. I bought a set of Hookers from Eagle auto Parts at Padstow For $500. They fitted without any problems with standard steering box but not sure about yours. I had them fitted and a new twin system made and fitted at Menai Exhaust, he did a great job, looks and sounds nice and at a reasonable price.

Hope that helps. Allen
The answer really is 42

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »
Thanks Allen, it's a big help actually, I'll have to give them a call in the morning. Was that price for ceramic coated or painted? Strangely enough I've read lots of problems reported with fitment for the Hookers, yet other people think they're great... Hard to tell! Is your car an auto or manual?

Been back and forth trying to decide whether to go for side pipes or not also, but it seems like under the car is cheaper and probably better for performance (obviously dependent on individual setups)?

Offline 76Vett

• Four Barrel
  • From the Shire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »
Hi again Andrew. My vett is an auto and I to had read about fitment problems but thought that Hooker had been around long enough to get them right, as long as all other parts in the engine bay are standard. They don't  come with exhaust pipe flanges but exhaust installers have them to weld on in a suitable position, they did come with manifold gaskets and bolts. I just went with painted items because Eagle had them in stock. Ps. Getting spark plugs in and out can be a bit more fiddly but I think that would occur with any headers. Any way good luck.
The answer really is 42

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
I haven't used hooker so I can not comment .
I have headman and a borgeson Box, with BB   nothing hits .
I've seen lots of header that hit the frame never mind a larger steering box
Check out headman headers .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
I had Hooker under car headers from when they where still made in the US and they fitted perfectly. I then order Hooker side mount headers just when they relocated their manufacturing down to Mexico. They didn't even come close to fitting :grr:

I am now using Dougs side mount headers which are a copy of the Hooker but these fit good :thumb:

Not sure if they would clear a borgeson box tho.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
Eagle Auto tell me they normally have Hookers, but are out of stock at the moment, more in a couple of weeks. Price was $599 but he tells me it will be higher (undetermined at this point) for the new shipment. That's for basic black painted, I can get them from Summit cheaper (and sooner), so I guess ordering from the states is probably the go.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »
Had my exhaust replaced by Geoff at Menai mufflers showed him all the problems with existing system which was done about 10 years ago by a shop no longer in business  when car was put on the road. Rectified clearance on starter, oil filter & also spare tyre carrier, T700 gearbox which wsn't there  when original system was built. R/hand engine pipe is tight going thru x-member due to the extra length of of the t700 pan

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »
I have on my car, the sticker of a guy in California who must have worked on the exhaust system at some time.
Aladins muffler shop
'No muff to tough - we dive till five'
It's still there
Ldfty
79 vette

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
And Aladin has an excellent sense of humour.
🖕 Vettech.