Author Topic: Car covers  (Read 6097 times)

Offline mjs

• Four Barrel
Car covers
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »
When I finally do own a C3, I'd like to put a cover over it white it sits in the garage, mainly to keep dust off, Something simple and not over the top.  Any suggestions?

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
Re: Car covers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
 :hi: I picked up a soft indoor cover for my C4 from Supercheap for a $100, does the job fine.
Ken
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Big Block
  • Car: 1972 Big Block 4 Speed
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:47 AM »
These work a treat off Ebay for $125 and fit C3 Perfectly !   :thumb:

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »
I hear different comments, some prefer not to use covers, saying it causes sweating and can damage paint. I bought a Calibre Show Cover from Supacheap ~ $70, it has a soft inner lining.

Something like this:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Calibre-Show-Cover-4WD-SUV-Large-Extra-Large.aspx?pid=274057#Recommendations

I take the car out enough that I've yet to use it, lol.

Many swear by flannelette sheets; I was using them  before getting the cover; they did leave behind a lot of lint particles; could've been due to them being old sheets.

s

Offline mjs

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
Thanks Gents, I'll check 'em out.  I had a flannie type/felty underlining and it used to leave greasy (?) stripes, like when a bird hits glass.  So these look they'll work, beats paying overseas freight just for a cover.  I guess the main thing is to keep it clean, or off the floor so one doesn't scratch the precious paint when you put it back on, which means I'll be chamois'ing it before i put it back on, am I sounding a bit precious?

stephenSLR: like oils, according to my wife there are flannelette sheets and then there are flannelette sheets.  Some cotton is better than others, but I think the polished duco/sets up a charge of sorts, like water tension and attracts the loose fibres which seem to stick like glue.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
I'll be chamois'ing it before i put it back on, am I sounding a bit precious?

Chamois'ing the cover? Oh you mean the car, LOL.

No it doesn't sound precious at all if you value the paint and want to get the most from it. You don't want any abrasive material in between the paint and cover when you're putting it on.

If you value the paint that much you should also be investing in regular waxing to leave a protective finish.

s

Offline mjs

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
"If you value the paint that much you should also be investing in regular waxing to leave a protective finish."

:thumb: Now there's another topic

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »
like oils, according to my wife there are flannelette sheets and then there are flannelette sheets.  Some cotton is better than others

s

Online Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:02:25 PM »
I got one with the car - never used it till it decided become a swimming pool. It has a soft material inside and waterproof exterior, think it would be better on a C3, but works fine outside 24/7. Once I get the new rubbers and seals fitted it can go inside and the C3 can come out for some work and it will need to be covered.
🖕 Vettech.