Author Topic: NSW Number Plates  (Read 17752 times)

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
NSW Number Plates
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »
Hi,

I am importing my 71 Vette soon, it was picked up from the US dealer today, and is on it's way to the docks. Looking at NSW rego compliance, I have headlights & seatbelts ordered but have a question on number plates. There is a vast variety available from the RTA, but what ones will fit a 71? I saw the two 'US size' variants but wonder if any of the others available will fit?

Cheers,

Leigh

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Re: NSW Number Plates
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
I have the AA-999 black & white style on my '70.

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:53 AM »
 :hi: The US plates work well but $295.00 to order and $99 per year
My C4 only accommodates the 310mm long late without curving the ends that would be required on the normal plates and as we know if you get a hard boy in blue it is illegal to bend plates and expect a fine if he's an A hole. :cheers:
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »
Great many thanks, cheers

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
The b/w five digit will fit a 78 so I assume yours too. The U.S. pattern are good, but for both NOW you will pay thru the nose......
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Leigh 454

• Two Barrel
  • Finally Got My Car
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
Thanks, better than getting standard size that may need to be trimmed or bent & a target for the lawman!!

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
Remember the Bi Centennial plates from the '80's? They are exactly the same size as U.S. plates. I wanted these for my '75 a few years ago. I ended up buying an old Toyota that had those plates on it, did the swap over with the RTA, then sold the Toyota again. Came out about $300 in front and didn't have to pay a premium for the plates.
Where there's a will there's a way.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
I ended up trimming my plates significantly to make them fit. This hasn't been an issue yet but who knows.

Lefty
79 vette

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »
The 'International size' are the same size as the 'US Size' if you'd prefer something plainer. They are what I went for, as my car had bent black and yellow plates fitted when I bought it. They are the same size as the original Californian plate.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
They look good. Do they have up front costs plus yearly costs ?....
🖕 Vettech.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »
A bit cheaper but similar. $195 order fee and $99 a year for personalised content. I think, but am not sure, that you can replace your existing plate for the $195 with no ongoing fees though? For me, I figure the ongoing $99 a year is less than $2 a week. I can live with that, even though it annoys me, a full tank of 98 costs more...

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Just checked on myplates. One off order fee of $195, no ongoing fees for replacing your existing plate (not choosing new numbers/letters) with an 'International size' plate. Likewise you can order 'US size' number plates (which are the same size, different prints, personally I prefer the plainer 'International size') for a one off fee of $295 with no annual fee if you don't choose the numbers/letters.

Offline tonyg

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
I just went through this recently with my C5. First you need to register your car with RMS and get the black on white plates (they call slim white bordered) Then you apply for the US 12x6 size through Myplates.
The cheapest option is to and accept what you get over the counter from the RMS and then apply for the US 12x6" plates of your choice without changing the plate number. One off fee of $195 for the plainer ones.
Tony Gentilcore
2002 C5 Z06 Corvette

1971 Buick Riviera
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 11:03:13 AM »
No I'm pedantic, I believe we have to go thru the hoops to get these registered to NSW law and we have to carry plates, therefore if the car complies to all their rules, then they (MTA) at least must comply as well. They supply a black on yellow plate and others that on a C4 covers the reversing lights. This must contravene at  least work cover and other safety laws. But you at least seem to have achieved a good compromise with a plate that looks smart at a reasonable cost....
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
You can probably tell I've nothing better to do.... But from memory I can't remember where it actually says in the rules that vehicles require reversing lights. And that's probably the loop-hole that allows for cash inflow..
🖕 Vettech.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 12:30:27 PM »
Jesus Doug Miss B really needs to get you a JOB . Lol

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
Ahhhhhhh,,,,,,,. Thank god I'm back!. I've been trying to reply to this and others since the twelfth. I've been shut out and what is worserer, is NOW ! I can't remember all the great stuff I was gunna say. Bugga. Maybe when I'm away I mo,lung hbbhvgg h ,.........  Get a new pad as this one has more cracks in the screen than the local netball team,.....35.)8!,;6 and does its own inh thing g........... See U all when we get back,..! job job ahhh that's right - illllm talk to you ray when I get back about job. The one you currently do for income. I should be a whole lot better when I get back. Now here goes a post..,..,....".........
🖕 Vettech.

Offline VetteMad

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 04:17:08 AM »
I just went through this recently with my C5. First you need to register your car with RMS and get the black on white plates (they call slim white bordered) Then you apply for the US 12x6 size through Myplates.
The cheapest option is to and accept what you get over the counter from the RMS and then apply for the US 12x6" plates of your choice without changing the plate number. One off fee of $195 for the plainer ones.
Thank you for that information; just found the US style once. $ 295 order fee and then annual fees apply. (Really don't understand why there need to be an annual fee??)

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 06:14:25 AM »
There's no annual fee if you don't choose personalised content (i.e. you just take whatever numbers and letters they give you).

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »
 :thumbdown: It's a classic car, you should choose the content and yes I pay $99 per year, less than $2 a week :cheers:
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette