Author Topic: New to the site, looking for a C3  (Read 4491 times)

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
New to the site, looking for a C3
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
Hello, just thought perhaps I should register and post, seeing as I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of months.  I live in the Hunter Valley, and am currently looking to buy a c3 (preferably manual, and ideally black...).  I haven't owned a Vette before, but have always liked them, particularly c3s.  My other cars are a 1979 Ford F250, and a heavily modified 1970 MG Midget, so I'm used to the quirks and work/upkeep associated with older cars (I drive the F250 every day to and from work, and I don't own a newer car).  I've been a member of the Newcastle MG Car Club for many years, and am likely to use the Vette for the odd hillclimb or track day, particularly if the Midget is out of service.

Any tips and suggestions (or insults!) will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: New to the site, looking for a C3
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:25:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Buying a c3 is fought with danger  when it comes to getting one,  that is in good physical condition  in regards to rust.
You will be looking for one that comes from the dryer states of the us .
There are several things to look for before parting with you money.
A little reading for you .

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=9492.0

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2076877-please-review-ten-rules-for-buying-your-first-c3-corvette.html
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
Thanks for your response.  :cheers:  I did read it earlier but didn't get the chance to reply.  I had read those threads previously while searching out information, but they made good reading again. 

Anyway, a lot of road tripping and looking at cars over the past weekend, and I have struck a deal on a car, and should be picking it up on Thursday.  It's a black (not factory) manual, 1979, LHD, registered in NSW and in what seems to be very solid and sound driving condition, but with a number of niggly faults (mostly interior electrics).  I think I should be able to sort them out without too many dramas, fingers crossed.  In terms of parts suppliers for these kinds of bits and pieces (switches etc), are there some good suppliers in Aus, or is importing from the US the best bet?

Secondly, I can see from the avatars that a number of you compete in motorsport.  What sort of improvements should I be looking at making, particularly for steering and suspension (obviously after making sure everything is up to scratch)?  Are rack and pinion conversions recommended?  I see mixed reviews on the US forums.  The car I am buying seems to drive well, no odd rattles or excessive play, but it certainly doesn't have the same kind of steering response and feedback or quick handling that I am used to in my MGs (or the wifes BMW, or our VX SS) and neither did the other c3s I drove, so I don't think it's specific to this car.  Obviously it's a very different car (much bigger and heavier, my Midget weighs 680kg!), but I'm sure from the various videos I have seen of C2s and C3s competing in motorsport that the handling can be much improved.

Also, I note that wheel alignments for these are fairly in depth (involving the use of shims).  Is there a recommended workshop anywhere in the Newcastle/Hunter region for this?  Or even Central Coast/Sydney if necessary?  Or is taking the time to measure it all out and doing it yourself the best option?

All thoughts and/or help appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:10 PM »
Where to start
Your so rite about the vette handling, they are terrible in standard spec.
I don't have any trouble getting mine end for ending.

Wheel alingment on the vette is no different to the same period Holden up front
The rear is simply enought , however it's a lot quicker to get it set up on a machine rather than doing it with strings.
As for rack n pinion steering for the C3 , I'm not keen on them for the original suspension .
To many compromises.
I like the bogerson sterring box upgrade , it works well and a big improvement on the original vette power steering .
Now getting the suspension to perform, is  like the lenth of a piece of string, where does it end.
First look at all the suspension bushings for wear,
Better springs front and rear , quality shocks .
There's  so many options for suspension upgrades , personal preferences  comes into play.
I'm keen on coil over rear  in preferane to the OEM springing .

Check your diff side play , jack the rear up and rock the wheel top to bottom as if checking a kingpin , see how muck play you have
To much play here will cause you problems .
I'll stop here  or I write an easy.
Hope to catch up on a. Northern run.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
Thanks heaps for your reply!  It gives me a lot to think about.

Where to start
Your so rite about the vette handling, they are terrible in standard spec.
I don't have any trouble getting mine end for ending.

Well, good to know that I'm not alone I suppose?

Wheel alingment on the vette is no different to the same period Holden up front
The rear is simply enought , however it's a lot quicker to get it set up on a machine rather than doing it with strings.

Fair enough, I've done string alignments before but only for toe.  Good to know that it shouldn't be a drama.

As for rack n pinion steering for the C3 , I'm not keen on them for the original suspension .
To many compromises.
I like the bogerson sterring box upgrade , it works well and a big improvement on the original vette power steering .

What do you feel is compromised about the rack and pinion conversions?  I've read lots of positive stuff about the Borgeson, but then I've read positive stuff about the original box (when properly rebuilt, which it seems almost noone does) also.  My experience with cars that have recirculating ball steering has never been positive compared to rack and pinion, but my experience there is mostly limited to 70's Mazdas (I've owned several rotaries) and 70s/80s Ford F trucks, so it might be more to do with the specific vehicles.  Do you feel the Borgeson offers comparable steering feel and response to a decent rack and pinion?  If so, I'd definitely be tempted by that route given the relative simplicity and cost.

Now getting the suspension to perform , is  like the lenth of a piece of string, where does it end.
First look at all the suspension bushings for wear,
Better springs front and rear , quality shocks .
There's  so many options for suspension upgrades , personal preferences  comes into play.
I'm keen on coil over rear  in preferane to the OEM springing .

Check your diff side play , jack the rear up and rock the wheel top to bottom as if checking a kingpin , see how muck play you have
To much play here will cause you problems .
I'll stop here  or I write an easy.
Hope to catch up on a. Northern run.
Bfit

Thanks heaps.  If you're up for it, please do write that essay!  I'll read all I can.  It's very confusing when there's so many people promoting quite different setups - steel or fibreglass leaf springs, coilover or leaf, stiff springs and small bars or soft springs and stiff bars...  Seems to be equal numbers supporting opposite opinions, and I'm having a hard time sifting through what the best options are!  Would you mind telling me why you prefer the setups you suggest?  Any take on poly vs rubber (I've liked poly in many cars, but use mostly rubber in the MG), spring weights, swaybar sizes etc?

Also, I'm still wondering about Australian parts suppliers?  Do you have any suggestions there?

Hope I can meet some of you at some point on a run, that would be great.

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »
Metalhead

Have a read of this, I have had the chassis of mine done by the previous owner back in the 70,s.
Copy paste this whole line into you browser, file is way to large to add as a attachment.
www.duntovmotors.com/Corvette Section Chevy Power Book.pdf
No point going to all the fancy stuff until you get the Chassis sorted.
Get it rigid. Then you can go from there with what you want.
Mine has manual steering but I have blue printed the box and done all the steering component's as well, its now where I want it.
Bfit really knows what he is talking about well worth a talk to about what he knows.

Regards Rosco

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »
Wow, thanks Rosco, that's a great read!  Some of those modifications will be easy enough to do, and should make a good difference, others might have to wait a few years until I do a frame off rebuild (it's almost inevitable that this will happen, as I have a terrible habit of getting carried away, but I want to at least try to keep the car a running and driving concern as long as possible!).  A great reference as to what the factory recommended, particularly looking at the chassis and suspension suggestions.

I have another question too - are workshop manuals and/or wiring diagrams available online somewhere?  And what workshop manual would you guys recommend?  I've got to troubleshoot some wiring on this car (gauges, power windows), which will be easier if I have some diagrams to chase!

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
PM me I can help you with electrical diagrams, tec assistance

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:55:55 PM »
Thank you very much!  PM sent.