Author Topic: RH external door handle - 73 vette  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
RH external door handle - 73 vette
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:24:48 PM »
My door wouldn't open the other night and I thought something had jammed or popped off. 

Turns out the door handle broke, so I need another one.

Ebay has them ranging from $25 to $90 from the US.  Anyone have any experience as to which are good/bad/ugly?

Alternately, I'd be happy with a 2nd hand one.  Mine was pitted and not perfect, so as long as it's functional I'll be happy with it.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
Re: RH external door handle - 73 vette
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:07:44 AM »
Hi Scott,

I would spent the extra money and go for the Trim Parts handle instead of the cheaper Chinese copy.

http://www.trimparts.com/parts/index/b2Zmc2V0PTU%3D/

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
The finger plate that moves has an arm cast into it, and either snaps fully off or breaks thru the hole that carries the lever that goes down into the doors guts and connects to the locking mech. Because of the amount of force and leverage applied esp if the mech is stiff etc then repair is not easy if not impossible.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:38:02 PM »
The finger plate that moves has an arm cast into it, and either snaps fully off or breaks thru the hole that carries the lever that goes down into the doors guts and connects to the locking mech. Because of the amount of force and leverage applied esp if the mech is stiff etc then repair is not easy if not impossible.

Yep, it broke through the hole.  Snapped the bottom off.  I'm wondering if it was adjusted wrong, allowing more force to be applied once the rod bottoms out the door latch.