Author Topic: '87 Stock Heads  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
'87 Stock Heads
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »
Just wondering. are the stock heads on an '87 straight or angle plug? The heads on the '87 I recently purchased are angle, so I'm guessing aftermarket, but I can't see any brand markings.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: '87 Stock Heads
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
Hi Reklaw. I've got an 87 and it appears stock. NOW! I'll show my ignorance here and ask - when you say "angled" Do you mean like the caps on plugs 2 & 4 are slightly angled towards each other, same with 6 & 8 etc etc. if so then I would assume that angled is the norm!?...
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I think you're onto it.
Here's a pic I pinched off the net. You can clearly see that the plugs are angled toward each other. Earlier Chevs had the plugs at right angles to the heads but aftermarket heads are available in either straight or angled (also called slant) configurations. It's something to do with the spark assisting in the combustion process.
Anyway, if your '87 is stock and has angle plug heads, then you've answered my question. Thanks again.
BobW

Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
Vettech, can I ask one more silly question? Are the rocker covers on your stock '87 perimeter or centre bolt style?

BobW
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline 86 iron

• Two Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:19:06 PM »
The early 86 models with iron heads were perimeter all heads after that were alloy & centre bolt covers.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
Thanks 86 Iron. Mine has alloy heads, slant plug, but perimeter bolt holes, so heads must be aftermarket of some sort. Thant's what I was trying to determine.

Bob W
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
My 87 has alloy covers and centre bolts. These are original nice and strong not thin tinny chromie rubbishy ones that always leak oil. In fact the only time I had oil Gush out was when the Oil Sender split its seam seal. It's located at rear under Dizzy and as close to the fire wall as is possible. A real pain in the A. Although your covers seem to have substance to them.
🖕 Vettech.