Author Topic: Rear Wheel bearing  (Read 4824 times)

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Rear Wheel bearing
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »
Hey guys, Haven't posted anything for a while as the car has been going alright.  Have been talking to a few guys from the club regarding rear wheel bearings as I am getting a vibration through the car that is annoying the crap out of me.  I jacked it up the other day and there seems to be a lot of movement in the wheel which seems to indicate that I need the bearings done. From what I understand this is an expensive exercise as I haven't got the tools or the know how to do it myself.  To tell the truth I have never changed wheel bearings on any car but from what I can gather the fronts aren't that hard but the rears require special tools to set freeplay etc. Obviously I have to get this done and while I am at it I would like to get the unis looked at the same time.  I have been given some names and numbers for some guys that do this but I would like to know if anyone out there has gone through this and have found someone that does a good job at a reasonable price.  I have had work done by Ron Missen at Ingleburn before but I am not sure whether he is equipped to do this particular task.  Your comments would be appreciated.  Stu

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
Re: Rear Wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:57 PM »
Yes Ron repaced my rear bearings a long time ago and ive had no issues since , he has since then done other peoples .And Ron is fair and resonable.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
I'm sure Ron could do this job , no worries at all.
If you going to do rear wheel bearing you should consider doing the trailing arm bushes as well
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »
Done 2 sets of arms since Christmas including handbrake shoes, & arm bushes

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:29:22 AM »
As said, it's easiest to take the whole trailing arm off, so you may as well do all the bushes and handbrake while it's out.  It may take some effort to press out the old stub axle.  My cheap 20ton press wouldn't do it and I had to take it to a diff shop.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
As said, it's easiest to take the whole trailing arm off, so you may as well do all the bushes and handbrake while it's out.  It may take some effort to press out the old stub axle.  My cheap 20ton press wouldn't do it and I had to take it to a diff shop.
the first time i did a set of bearings in the railing arms i made  up pressing gear etc
  ever set since I have tapped the stuns out with a 4 lb dead blow hammer
 I agree take the training arms out.
do the compete job once.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill