Author Topic: Air conditioning blues  (Read 7169 times)

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Air conditioning blues
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:52:32 PM »
Hey All,
I have a problem with you lot! Just joking! No, I have a problem with the air con (A/C)in my 1991 Corvette. When it was converted to RHD the A/C was never properly finished and/or hooked up. I have been busy with rectifying this of late. I took it to a friends A/C shop and they made the last refigerant pipes it needed, fit a receiver/dryer unit and gassed it up. They did a retro fit. The Technician doing the work told me he could not get the fan/blower to work, and told me to sort this out and bring it back when I have, then they can adjust if need be a bit more gas.
I see the owners manual says the A/C control head will flash when the system is low in gas. This does happen, but on the odd occasion the fan/blower unit will operate, then other times nothing. I have checked the wiring and it appears to be ok. The unit will not go into the diagnostic mode either. Does all this mean it is low in gas or what? I fear the control head or A/C computer needs to be replaced.
Any one got any ideas?:20

Offline Vette Obsessed

• Supercharged
    • http://www.nswcorvettes.com.au
Air conditioning blues
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:16:39 PM »
David, if you can send me your e-mail address I might have something at home I can e-mail you to help troubleshoot what your AC problem is.

webmaster@nswcorvettes.com.au
"Life's tough.  It's tougher when you're stupid"

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Air conditioning blues
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 08:37:15 PM »
Take the t-tops off!  ;--

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Air conditioning blues
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 07:10:14 PM »
Oh my gawd! Now there is a good idea 77CVT!
Seriously tho, I have had that much trouble trying to fit the roof properly, I am almost afraid to take it off again! I am cetainly looking forward to tho, last week I had some easy flow mufflers fit, and if I do say, THEY SOUND HORN!!!;27

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Air conditioning blues
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 10:13:43 AM »
Hi David, there's a guy on the US Corvette Forum
"http://forums.corvetteforum.com"
who is THE guru of vette aircon - Post or IM him - Sun CR .

He was so helpful to me I established email contact with him - he bought his 89 new and so has a wealth of C4 knowledge - he also likes doing things himself so they get done properly - does that sound familiar to anyone ?

(I just remembered that he's away on holiday first half of July)

If you have climate control , C68, then I've learnt a bit about that, had my head unit completely apart and fixed many things - intermittent display - buttons not working etc.

I've replaced my blower also and found there is a fuse in the engine bay which, if blown, puts the blower on full.

The blower module is on the bottom of the evaporator box, not the top as in LHD, so gets wet, corrodes and is v hard to remove.

Let me know if I can help, I'm away 5th -15th July - going down to the Corvette Classic in Brisbane.

S'nut

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Air conditioning blues
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 07:07:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip Stingraynut, I have just got home from work and am going to check out the Corvette forum right now!! I used to get on that forum a bit, now to remember my password!!!

Vette Obsessed, I got your email thanks very much. I just receved from the USA a proud new GM workshop manual and am eager to start reading. I think that is what you were going to email me! I hope you havn't had to scan the info or already gone to too much trouble already. If ya have, I owe ya one!:drink

Offline Stingraynut

• Four Barrel
    • www.myvette.20m.com
Air conditioning blues
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 01:42:14 PM »
The Corvette Forum is a brilliant source of info - hope you find an answer.

I'm sure you know that the answers posted are not always correct, it depends who it is, there are some people with good intentions that post without much knowledge. If you use the forum regularly you soon find out who knows his stuff.

If you use the search, there is a website with heaps of info on the climate control - sorry I've lost that link.

S'nut